Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking to buy a 2001-2004 Winnebago or Itasca 30w

Hi all,
I'm looking for an older 2001-2004 Winnebago or Itasca 30w.

Any info you can provide on the series would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for the good, bad, and the ugly!
What things should I look out for?
Any major drawbacks to these units?
Know anybody who is selling one? Yes, I posted a wanted ad on the site already.

Thanks,
Rob
pylotttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Where are you located? There is a 36 ft Journey for sale in Lakeville, Mn. I do not have any info on it but it should be listed somewhere.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Where are you located? There is a 36 ft Journey for sale in Lakeville, Mn. I do not have any info on it but it should be listed somewhere.
Thanks, but I am looking for a model 30W -31 ft, something I can get into most campgrounds.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Based on my recent experience in purchasing a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, your biggest concerns will be age-related as opposed to specific model issues. If you're not a DIYer, having things fixed is going to be much more expensive if you're going to pay $100+/hour to a shop. First impressions are important. If your first impression isn't good, walk away. One rig I looked at was newer than the others I'd seen but the PO had lived in it for two years while between houses, and it looked it. Ask about how it's been used. If your first impression is good, then start your objective review:

1. Leaks - Look for signs of leaking, discolored headliner, delamination outside, etc. Inspect the roof carefully. Read up on the Winnebago windshield leak issue and look for the signs (water stains on the dash is one). I would think that a high percentage of rigs that age will show some signs of leaks, so it's going to be a judgement call or at least a bargaining point. Significant sidewall delamination and rusty (not just leaking) windshield frame would be causes for rejection. Skylights, vents and other fittings can be re-sealed and/or replaced.

2. Equipment and Appliances - Your priorities here are the high cost items, generator, HVAC, water heater, refrigerator, Energy Management System (EMS), etc. Here's a link to a current posting on "basement air":

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ir-350544.html

Note that the basement air has two compressors, only one of which will run on less than 30 amp service. This means it can't be fully tested unless plugged into 30 amps or more. There may be a way to test #2 compressor by tripping the breaker for #1 compressor, but I'm not sure:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...mp-139654.html

Most other "house" equipment, such as the water pump, etc. is relatively inexpensive to replace if you DIY. I'd plan on replacing the converter (about $200 DIY) since the existing one is harder on batteries than currently available converters with multi-stage charging. You also should consider replacing the batteries unless they're new or a couple of years old (6v golf cart batteries are a good idea).

3. Hydraulics - Make sure all hydraulics (slide outs and jacks are in good working order. Look for signs of leaks, primarily at hose fittings. Hose's can be replaced but it can add up. I had to have three slide out hoses replaced. Again, there are numerous postings on this.

4. "Truck" Issues - This was my biggest concern since I'm a DIYer and felt confident about fixing most "house" issues but not "truck" issues. You're buying a big truck so you need to make sure it's in good condition like you would with any vehicle except this is BIG compared to a car or pickup. I'd suggest having it checked out by a good truck repair shop (Ford or Workhorse depending on the rig). Transmissions, and engines can be expensive if there are major issues. I had the shocks replaced (about $400 + parts) and the starter in addition to a minor A/C fix, tuneup, lube/oil (not cheap). You'll read a lot on the forums about the pros and cons of various shock absorbers, some of which are quite expensive. I'd suggest sticking with OEM unless you have the experience and knowledge to choose something different.

Get a vehicle history report (Carfax or similar). This is especially important given our recent storm/flood history.

5. Based on my experience and what I've read on the various forums, budget about $4,000 over the purchase price for the above. If you get away with $2,000, count yourself lucky. It's typical when buying a boat to negotiate a price contingent on a "sea trial" and survey. I'd suggest the same with an RV. If the road test and professional evaluation identify any issues you can walk away or re-negotiate the price. Make sure whoever does the evaluation is qualified to evaluate both the "house" and the "truck" or have two evaluations.

6. Price- Prices are highly negotiable, especially on older rigs. A comparison of asking prices to NADA values will give you some idea. Dealer prices seem to be especially inflated. Two of the owners of rigs I looked at (one of which I bought) had recently taken them back from dealers who had them on contingency because they weren't selling. In both cases, the owners immediately dropped their Craig's List price by 20% - 25% from what the dealers were asking.

In evaluating various models, make sure the floor plan lends itself to comfortable use with the slides "in".

Good luck.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the valuable info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Based on my recent experience in purchasing a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, your biggest concerns will be age-related as opposed to specific model issues. If you're not a DIYer, having things fixed is going to be much more expensive if you're going to pay $100+/hour to a shop. First impressions are important. If your first impression isn't good, walk away. One rig I looked at was newer than the others I'd seen but the PO had lived in it for two years while between houses, and it looked it. Ask about how it's been used. If your first impression is good, then start your objective review:

1. Leaks - Look for signs of leaking, discolored headliner, delamination outside, etc. Inspect the roof carefully. Read up on the Winnebago windshield leak issue and look for the signs (water stains on the dash is one). I would think that a high percentage of rigs that age will show some signs of leaks, so it's going to be a judgement call or at least a bargaining point. Significant sidewall delamination and rusty (not just leaking) windshield frame would be causes for rejection. Skylights, vents and other fittings can be re-sealed and/or replaced.

2. Equipment and Appliances - Your priorities here are the high cost items, generator, HVAC, water heater, refrigerator, Energy Management System (EMS), etc. Here's a link to a current posting on "basement air":

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ir-350544.html

Note that the basement air has two compressors, only one of which will run on less than 30 amp service. This means it can't be fully tested unless plugged into 30 amps or more. There may be a way to test #2 compressor by tripping the breaker for #1 compressor, but I'm not sure:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...mp-139654.html

Most other "house" equipment, such as the water pump, etc. is relatively inexpensive to replace if you DIY. I'd plan on replacing the converter (about $200 DIY) since the existing one is harder on batteries than currently available converters with multi-stage charging. You also should consider replacing the batteries unless they're new or a couple of years old (6v golf cart batteries are a good idea).

3. Hydraulics - Make sure all hydraulics (slide outs and jacks are in good working order. Look for signs of leaks, primarily at hose fittings. Hose's can be replaced but it can add up. I had to have three slide out hoses replaced. Again, there are numerous postings on this.

4. "Truck" Issues - This was my biggest concern since I'm a DIYer and felt confident about fixing most "house" issues but not "truck" issues. You're buying a big truck so you need to make sure it's in good condition like you would with any vehicle except this is BIG compared to a car or pickup. I'd suggest having it checked out by a good truck repair shop (Ford or Workhorse depending on the rig). Transmissions, and engines can be expensive if there are major issues. I had the shocks replaced (about $400 + parts) and the starter in addition to a minor A/C fix, tuneup, lube/oil (not cheap). You'll read a lot on the forums about the pros and cons of various shock absorbers, some of which are quite expensive. I'd suggest sticking with OEM unless you have the experience and knowledge to choose something different.

Get a vehicle history report (Carfax or similar). This is especially important given our recent storm/flood history.

5. Based on my experience and what I've read on the various forums, budget about $4,000 over the purchase price for the above. If you get away with $2,000, count yourself lucky. It's typical when buying a boat to negotiate a price contingent on a "sea trial" and survey. I'd suggest the same with an RV. If the road test and professional evaluation identify any issues you can walk away or re-negotiate the price. Make sure whoever does the evaluation is qualified to evaluate both the "house" and the "truck" or have two evaluations.

6. Price- Prices are highly negotiable, especially on older rigs. A comparison of asking prices to NADA values will give you some idea. Dealer prices seem to be especially inflated. Two of the owners of rigs I looked at (one of which I bought) had recently taken them back from dealers who had them on contingency because they weren't selling. In both cases, the owners immediately dropped their Craig's List price by 20% - 25% from what the dealers were asking.

In evaluating various models, make sure the floor plan lends itself to comfortable use with the slides "in".

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Correction on Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'd plan on replacing the converter (about $200 DIY) since the existing one is harder on batteries than currently available converters with multi-stage charging.
I overstated the converter cost. I paid $109 for my replacement on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As far as the 2nd A/C compressor, you can't test it by turning off the breaker to compressor #1. #1 must be running before it will start #2. Not familiar with that model but probably has a generator, which you'd want to test. Both A/C compressors will run off the generator.

Also don't know what chassis where available for that model. I would strongly avoid the Chevy/Workhorse P series chassis. If you can find one with a Ford or even better a Workhorse W series chassis that would be the way to go.

As mentioned, test everything. Fridge is the most expensive appliance to replace. Also mentioned is can you fix the small things yourself, if not even small things can be expensive if you have to pay someone to fix them.

I don't think tires were mentioned. Check the DOT date codes. They make look great but may be old and need replacing and 6 MH tires are not cheap.

Now let me add this. We have a 35' MH and we have yet to have a problem finding a spot and we tow a car. For overnight stops we usually don't even unhook the car. We've stayed in state and private campgrounds as well. Consider that a pickup and most any TT or 5th wheel will be longer than 31'. If campgrounds can't accommodate them they won't stay in business long. Now there may be a campground that can't accommodate you on a particular day but you can always find one that will.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Good catch on the tire info, I meant to mention that. Class A motorhome tires can easily run in the $300 range, so count on $1,800 total. The most often quoted rule-of-thumb for replacement I've seen is six years but Michelin quotes up to a maximum of ten years:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...e_RV_Tires.pdf

in my experience, the premium you'll pay for new or almost new tires is probably less than you'll save on a rig with tires that are at or near replacement.

Tags
itasca, winnebago