Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace Exterior TV 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

have a 2014 itasca ellipse 42qd. want to replace outside TV. what i am seeing is TV is 2 inch wide while new TV are around 3. has anyone replaced theirs? what did you do?
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I find it amazing that you can even find a 3" TV?

I replaced my 40" TV inside with a Samsung Wireless for WifI & Bluetooth. I plan to replace my Outdoor Insignia but it still works fine. I normally display what is on the main TV for outside any way.

Here is a TV for you, but there are a lot of cheaper options well under 3 inches thick.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I find it amazing that there is 2" tv. the fact I can carry it with one hand is amazing. I did look at the OLED but just didnt want to spend 500 bucks when you can get a 4k for 130.
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane4golf View Post
I find it amazing that there is 2" tv. the fact I can carry it with one hand is amazing. I did look at the OLED but just didnt want to spend 500 bucks when you can get a 4k for 130.
I have 7 Samsung TVs, none are OLED and the oldest is maybe 10 years old. None of them are 3" thick. I just Googled Samsung TV and that is what came up first. I was just confirming new TVs today from Samsung were not about 3"

If you want cheap and 2" thick or less, just go to Wal Mart.

If you ask me, the biggest issue I would worry about with replacing my Outside TV is not the thickness of TV, but the locations of the rear inputs, hardware relative to the mounting bracket that may be installed on RV. I spent hours fabricating my Main Indoor OEM bracket that covered 75% of the inputs on the rear. Now that TV did not swivel; so you may not have nearly the same concern with your outdoor TV, but I will if I ever change my Outdoor TV. In fact, if I did not have to fabricate the bracket, I would have changed it already. My Main Indoor TV had gone out under Warranty and WBGO wanted to replace with same TV, but I wanted Samsung, Wireless WiFi, Bluetooth etc. Just something to check.

Update:
I just saw this and it was posted yesterday, it may also give you a perspective of what I was talking about and another potential Gotcha.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3936178

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane4golf View Post
I did look at the OLED but just didnt want to spend 500 bucks when you can get a 4k for 130.
Unless you are going to watch TV only at night, the most important feature of an outdoor TV is a very bright screen. The TV on my back patio is under a patio cover that extends 14', so deep in the shade. I returned the first TV I bought as nothing was visible through daytime reflections of the bright sky, though it looked great indoors. Back in 2018, I settled on the TCL 55R617. Like you, I wanted cheap, since it would live outdoors. But for me, cheap didn't work at all during the day.

These links explain SDR Peak Brightness and HRD Peak Brightness, and lists the specs of many TVs. It's a good TV review site.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...eak-brightness
Old 05-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Unless you are going to watch TV only at night, the most important feature of an outdoor TV is a very bright screen. The TV on my back patio is under a patio cover that extends 14', so deep in the shade. I returned the first TV I bought as nothing was visible through daytime reflections of the bright sky, though it looked great indoors. Back in 2018, I settled on the TCL 55R617. Like you, I wanted cheap, since it would live outdoors. But for me, cheap didn't work at all during the day.

These links explain SDR Peak Brightness and HRD Peak Brightness, and lists the specs of many TVs. It's a good TV review site.

Good read. I think my next TV will be one of the QLEDs, and for sure my outside TV in RV will be QLED because I have experience issue you state in bright daylight.

Tags
replace, itasca, ace