Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Disappearing TV removal

I own a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. The front 40" TV is mounted on an elevator systems that stores the TV in the hutch behind the dining room table. My TV is a Samsung, with an intermittent problem. I would like to remove it to make repairs. It is mounted to the elevator mechanism bracket with 4 screws. There is not sufficient room to get any type of screwdriver in there to remove the screws. If they were hex head bolts instead of Philips head screws, a small ratchet might work. (I might have just answered my own question) I'll try a screwdriver bit in a 1/4" socket.
I would still appreciate comments from anyone who might have dealt with this in the past.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've not done it there but several other places, this little gizmo has been worth a million several times!

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...RoCkkcQAvD_BwE
Old 09-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I need. Better than a regular ratchet because the little wheel on the back allows you to start the screw.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Harbor Freight is good for things that may be cheap enough to use one time and then throw away but they do save a bunch if they work, even one time!

I had a screw that was behind a sidewall and I got it started out with this but then it was too long to come fully out, so I just quit and found the problem in another spot!
Old 09-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I've managed to solve my problem and will post it here to help others. When the TV is in the full up position, it is impossible to look down on it from the top. However if the TV is only raised 1/2 way, you can look down on it from the top. From the side, you can see that the TV is hung on 2 fingers. (One circled in red.) But in cannot simply be lifted off of the fingers. Looking down from the top, you can see two screws that are screwed into 2 horizontal plates. (Circled in yellow.) So, raise TV half way, remove the 2 screws and then raise the TV completely and lift it off of the fingers.
Edit: The bracket can be easily removed from the TV once it is dismounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_151931~3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	184236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_151931~2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	184237  

Old 09-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I've managed to solve my problem and will post it here to help others.
Thank you!

Iíve not really needed to remove mine yet, but two years ago it was squeaking terribly when driving (in down position) and it took me many attempts to figure out what exactly was the culprit. At that time I wanted to remove it but couldnít see how to do it.

I stopped the squeak by wedging a piece of plastic between the two things youíve circled in red.

But itís only a matter of time before I will need to change out that TV, no doubt. Itís a bottom of the line Samsung and over 5-yrs old at that.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If yours was squeaking, I would suspect that the two screws might have come loose. You might try raising the TV half way up and tightening the screws.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Thank you!

But itís only a matter of time before I will need to change out that TV, no doubt. Itís a bottom of the line Samsung and over 5-yrs old at that.
If you ever have to replace the TV, don't expect a plug and play. I'm having to replace mine and I found out that ALL 43 inch TVs manufactured in the past 2 years are 4k resolution. 4k TVs no longer use AV/RCA connectors. They only use HDMI because AV/RCA won't support 4k.

Another problem is that the mounting bracket is designed specifically for that Samsung TV. It has the standard 200mm mounting screw spacing but covers most of the back of the TV. The screw spacing is standardized but there is no standard to cable connection locations. As a result the bracket will cover the locations of most other TVs connectors. The photo shows the modifications that I had to make to the bracket to work with my new TV. Another problem is that new 43 inch TVs are so much lighter that some manufacturers have changed to the 100 mm mounting standard, which the bracket doesn't support, although it could be drill to the 100 mm standard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221006_102007.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	184349  
Old 10-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
Site Team

No worries there. Everything in my system is HDMI cabled. In fact, I don't have any component connections in any of my gear - thank goodness.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
If yours was squeaking, I would suspect that the two screws might have come loose. You might try raising the TV half way up and tightening the screws.
You nailed it exactly. After I saw your post above I checked and both of those screws were very loose. I didn't remove the shims I put in place to stop the squeaking - no need to risk that - but I don't doubt that was the issue from the beginning.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2022, 07:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Guess Iím a little late to the party as I imagine youíve already accomplished your change over, but Iíll add my 2 cents for future reference.
My 2011 had the original heavy weight Jensen with RCA connectors. I found and replaced it with a much lighter and thinner 43Ē Phillips Smart tv. I just used strapping bent to move the tv forward for adequate clearance in the opening.The tv had composite video and audio inputs that allowed me to input the feed Component cables from the switch multiplexer above the passenger seat. The only output choice was either hdmi or optical. I found a converter to use the optical output of the tv to the existing rca connectors feeding the speaker system. I also added a Bluetooth transmitter inline on the optical output.
The problem I encountered was due to the lighter weight of the tv, the lift would bind when retracting. I assume you have the same 3 stage lift, at the time Iíd found very limited information on the lift and manufacturer. On mine the first stage mounted to the floor uses twin motors and jack screws to lift the second stage. The third stage that the tv mounts to is lifted by a strap fastened to the first stage and runs over a set rollers mounted on the second stage and then attached to the 3rd stage lifting it as the 2nd stage rises. When retracting the screws retract the 2nd stage and the 3rd just uses gravity to fall. Due to the lighter weight of the new TV the 3rd stage would bind at about 4Ē of full retraction and the strap would push up past the rollers on the second stage adding to the problem. There are little plastic inserts that are used to separate the stages from being metal on metal. Unable to adjust those little guides I just keep a good coat of silicone on things to keep things running smoothly. Iíd read a couple posts of guys who had that riser strap fray and break on them so I donít want to deal with that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0D2A0FE2-7143-40A2-954D-79BA0A565215.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	184414   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E73A5D2-CFB5-4430-BD91-FBA68F2C27E7.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	184415  

Name:	50843E75-10A1-4076-95C3-0F19B9CC171E.jpeg