RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
PowerLine EMS

Our 2001 Adventure 32v has an issue with EMS display. Our unit has 30 amp shore power and a 5500 watt generator. Since last fall the EMS display thinks it has a 50 amp power source and does not display the line load amps but does show power to the switched loads. This happens when the generator is running, is plugged in at home 20 amp), or now with 30 amp service at the campground. None of the trouble shooting situations apply and everything seems to work. Iím thinking about an upgrade to 50 amp service and so last fall when servicing the generator I turned the 20 amp (and the 30 amp too) breakers off and on just to work them (the generator was not running and no power was plugged in). I also took the cover off the breaker panel (again with no power source) just to get an idea what I had to with. (As an aside, Iím learning it takes more than running wire and changing breakers to upgrade to 50 amp service)
If anyone has experienced this issue or has a suggestion I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Phil
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
I'm not following. Wouldn't a 5500 watt generator require 50 amp service? The type of service is not the draw, so I don't see how a display could distinguish other than based on what is being powered.

Does anyone know how this is wired on an RV--a 5500 watt generator with a 30 amp shore service and apparently both a 20 and 30 amp breaker?
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
I am not an electrician, but learned in looking at wiring diagrams to understand how to upgrade to 50 amps from 30 that all power goes through the automatic transfer switch. The separate 20 amp circuit on the generator goes to the second compressor on the Coleman residential style air conditioner (basement air) through the transfer switch on our 32v. Don't know if this answers the question.
The EMS system gets power information from the neutral wire going through a sensor on the circuit board. So back to my original post in our current case it only has a 30 amp source. My hope is that it only needs a fuse.
Thanks again, Phil
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperphil View Post
I am not an electrician, but learned in looking at wiring diagrams to understand how to upgrade to 50 amps from 30 that all power goes through the automatic transfer switch. The separate 20 amp circuit on the generator goes to the second compressor on the Coleman residential style air conditioner (basement air) through the transfer switch on our 32v.
Thanks again, Phil
Also not an electrician, but typically when you are dealing with more than 30 amps on a generator it is in two "legs" of equal amperage so that you can get both 110 and 220 volt circuits. Now maybe larger RV generators are different and send all that power out on one circuit in 110 volts.

I'm sort of curious to see what people more knowledgeable of RV generators say. But I do have a question for you. Can you run that second AC off of shore power, or do you have to run the generator?
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
The second compressor of the Coleman/Mach residential style a/c does run on shore power. And with a 30 amp shore power supply that is why the PowerLine EMS is important. The load center monitors amps and automatically shuts power off to switched applications like the water heater and refrigerator (both of which can use propane), as well as the second compressor.
So if the EMS doesn’t know it only has 30 amps to work with I don’t know what happens and I don’t know when it starts blowing breakers.
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 360
Usually when there is an issue it's being on 50 but only showing 30. Yours is the reverse, quite strange. Something is fooling the panel inside the circuit panel to report the wrong info. The display is working properly... when on 50amp it will not show a load # in the display but will light the power lights on the various appliances.

Have you tried contacting Intellitec support? I've found them to be responsive (though not sure right now with the state of things.) Their email... [email protected]

Could be the circuit board, or even your ATS. You might also doublecheck the connecting cable at the back of the display and at the board to make sure it's communicating properly, but seems like it is. I'd give support a try.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks for the referral to tech support. Have sent an email. Hope for some feedback from them since I’m nearing the end of my technical skill.
Phil
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
UPDATE: All is well and there is no issue with the EMS panel. This is our first trip of the year and when winterizing I always turn off the breaker to the water heater when the tank is empty. I forgot to turn it back on before and now that I have, the EMS display is reading 30 amps and the amp load meter working as it should with no apparent problems.
Live and learn! The first trip of the season with any RV we have owned something new always comes up.
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Odd fix. But glad you found it.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
HotMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Dungeon in Broomfield, CO
Posts: 39
Skipperphil, I have done the 50 amp upgrade to both of my 2002 Braves. One was a 32v and should be similar to yours. If you would like to talk with me, just send a pm, and I'll get right back to you. Kerry
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
CharlesMoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NE, Indiana
Posts: 136
Blog Entries: 1
Current=30A

I thought this thread interesting and informative but is not directly related to 50A vs30A. However, I will make my observation.


I have owned our Journey 36DL for several years and almost never am at an 30A site only. However, this winter in Alabama, the only site available was 30 A and I took it gladly (Covid-19 related).


For the very first time, the temperature was very warm and the water heater electric was on during a shower and for the very first time I noticed that the water heater light was off. Hum, it looked like the "load shedding" circuit actually worked. Later, when the 2nd stage of basement air was not needed the waterheater came back on. Yea, I love technology when it works kike it should.


So during the 30A site period, I monitored the amperage very closely and it was easy for my coach to exceed 30A. If the power was being used by non load shedding items the breaker would trip. The same thing happens on generator but much less so since it has two phases. IMHO
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
I have a 2000 winnebago journey36l that I converted to 50 amp service. Wasn't diffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperphil View Post
Our 2001 Adventure 32v has an issue with EMS display. Our unit has 30 amp shore power and a 5500 watt generator. Since last fall the EMS display thinks it has a 50 amp power source and does not display the line load amps but does show power to the switched loads. This happens when the generator is running, is plugged in at home 20 amp), or now with 30 amp service at the campground. None of the trouble shooting situations apply and everything seems to work. Iím thinking about an upgrade to 50 amp service and so last fall when servicing the generator I turned the 20 amp (and the 30 amp too) breakers off and on just to work them (the generator was not running and no power was plugged in). I also took the cover off the breaker panel (again with no power source) just to get an idea what I had to with. (As an aside, Iím learning it takes more than running wire and changing breakers to upgrade to 50 amp service)
If anyone has experienced this issue or has a suggestion I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Phil
I have a 2000 winnebago journey36l that I converted from factory 30 amp to upgrade to 50 amp. Wasn't difficult at all. Best way to start is download both 30 and 50 amp electrical drawings from Winnebago. I have them if you would need. Let me know when you get started if you would need any questions answered
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
This will be my final post on this thread since all is no well and I learned my lesson. I appreciate all feedback, input and offers to help. I did contact customer service at the email address provided by "emiddleb" (thanks for that info, BTW), the response was quick and very helpful. Not having all the breakers turned on is apparently a common problem with the EMS system. If that had now worked, the tech who replied to me offered to help with troubleshooting. Did not need that, but always good to know help is available.
I made brief mention in my post, about looking into an upgrade from 30 to 50 amps. While that was not part of the immediate problem, I got offers to help with that from "HotMech" and "Dibbsvtx1". I will take advantage of that when I get the nerve to attempt a project of that magnitude.
Signing off on this thread "PowerLine EMS".
Stay tuned for more entertaining posts from a "bean counter" who tries to be an RV repair guy.
Phil
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperphil View Post
This will be my final post on this thread since all is no well and I learned my lesson. I appreciate all feedback, input and offers to help. I did contact customer service at the email address provided by "emiddleb" (thanks for that info, BTW), the response was quick and very helpful. Not having all the breakers turned on is apparently a common problem with the EMS system. If that had now worked, the tech who replied to me offered to help with troubleshooting. Did not need that, but always good to know help is available.
I made brief mention in my post, about looking into an upgrade from 30 to 50 amps. While that was not part of the immediate problem, I got offers to help with that from "HotMech" and "Dibbsvtx1". I will take advantage of that when I get the nerve to attempt a project of that magnitude.
Signing off on this thread "PowerLine EMS".
Stay tuned for more entertaining posts from a "bean counter" who tries to be an RV repair guy.
Phil
It's not a big job, Again dont hesitate to ask for help.
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ems, power


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powerline EMS Display not working Sammie Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 14 06-18-2011 12:15 PM
PowerLine 2004 EMS Problems Tuney-GA Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 12-10-2009 09:41 PM
Powerline EMS Rmblaster Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 03-28-2009 12:01 PM
Powerline EMS - Water heater light will not light rv rick Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 9 10-14-2008 04:20 PM
EMS powerline blinking problems bad converter maybe? peter griffin Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 10 04-04-2008 02:46 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×