Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My ems system on the display is blinking (all of the lights) when I am plugged in or when I run the generator...anyone had this problem...or a bad converter...I spoke with Intellitec (makers of the EMS) they say it is an converter problem...Winnebago said they had problems with the charging relays from parallax and its a bad converter...waiting to hear from parallax...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My ems system on the display is blinking (all of the lights) when I am plugged in or when I run the generator...anyone had this problem...or a bad converter...I spoke with Intellitec (makers of the EMS) they say it is an converter problem...Winnebago said they had problems with the charging relays from parallax and its a bad converter...waiting to hear from parallax...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have had several centers look at my panel. No one seems to come to the same conclusion. One center replaced the lower board, but didn't have the upper board. Will get that replaced in March, hopefully. Did they really say that it could be the inverter? I don't see how that could affect the board, a converter, yes. My lights work with the generator, but only the bottom light comes on when plugged in to shore power, usually, sometimes two light come on, sometimes they cycle with a mind of their own. It will be interesting to hear what parallax says. Please let us know
GrandpaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

im sorry meant converter...been a long day looking for problem...when you say they cycle with a mind of their own what do you mean? ill keep you posted...can you try pressing the generator switch 3 times (the one near the panel of EMS) and to get teh blinking error code to see if your ems also goes blinking..
bago also said something about filters..
thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

well got the converter checked...dc current was fine...when i went to check the ac current it put out 1.2 ...(onn 200 ac) according to parralax this is bad and the "noise" causes the ems to go wacky ...it got replaced and everything seems normal...wont know for a couple of days...also if you dont have an ems you would never know you had a problem...GRanparick to check the ac current you must have the rv plugged into shore power..
and check it at teh converter under the stove
Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I too, have had multiple problems with my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser Powerline 2004 EMS. I am waiting for service to provide an answer as to why my generator won't start sometimes (all I get is a clicking sound) and the Powerline Display Panel is completely dead (no indication of 30 or 50 amp service). I have already tried another plug-in Display panel module and it made no difference. Following the manual, I opened up the main electrical panel of the EMS system and find that the fuse is good and the green light indicates that it has power. I am not sure if it has any connection, but, I have had to replace the house and engine batteries twice already (they say it was bad cells, both times).
Doug Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

you need to get a meter and check the dc and ac output on your converter. When your generator makes the clicking noise what does the voltage read for the house batteries? Also if you start the rv up will the generator start then?

Do you leave you rv plugged in?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Posted April 22, 2007 03:01 PM
you need to get a meter and check the dc and ac output on your converter. When your generator makes the clicking noise what does the voltage read for the house batteries? Also if you start the rv up will the generator start then?

Do you leave you rv plugged in?

I will have the service center check the converter. When my generator was making the clicking noise, the house batteries were at least 12.4 and it is intermittant. While we are camping (4-6 months a year) we are plugged in. While in storage, at least during the winter months of Nov and Dec, the unit is plugged in for heat with the Auxillary switch off. My appointment for service is May 3rd. Doug Gibbs - [email protected]
Doug Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Gibbs:
I too, have had multiple problems with my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser Powerline 2004 EMS. I am waiting for service to provide an answer as to why my generator won't start sometimes (all I get is a clicking sound) and the Powerline Display Panel is completely dead (no indication of 30 or 50 amp service). I have already tried another plug-in Display panel module and it made no difference. Following the manual, I opened up the main electrical panel of the EMS system and find that the fuse is good and the green light indicates that it has power. I am not sure if it has any connection, but, I have had to replace the house and engine batteries twice already (they say it was bad cells, both times). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bad bypass switch or one that gets hit by people entering and exiting the coach will make your Poweline panel go dark too. On mine we had to replace one of the relays in the 12 volt bypass circuit and all has been fine since.

I am tempted to put a guard on mine since it is in the step well right in the kick zone.

If the relays are not 100% you will may have an intermittant problem with keeping the house batteries charged too.

I was on a trip to Canada when this happened. At first when I experienced this I took a portable junmp starter out to the genny and simply jumped it and started it with the start button on the genset.

After I figured out the cause and effect relationship, clicking the bypass switch several times usually got me a good enough connection to get things going for the remainder of the trip. It was a simple fix once I got home.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I am no big fan of Parallax as we've had two go bad on us with less than a year on each unit. Both were replaced under warranty, but I decided to have the converter in our Journey replaced with a Xantrex Truecharge 40+ a few months ago and so far it has worked great.

BTW, I have a brand new Parallax 7455 for sale if anyone is interested
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem on my 2007 Adventurer. The dealer replaced the converter and everything is fine for now.
Bobreel is offline   Reply With Quote