Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2023, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Penetrate an outer wall for a wire

I would like to put a hole in an outer wall of my Winnebago Journey so I can pass a cable for a Starlink or cell extender. I don't like going through the slide-out or window. Going through the slide-out or window will eventually cause problems. There must be a safe way to make a permanent hole that I can pass a cable through when parked and remove and cap when travelling. How can I do that safely?
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would go this route e trailer has a "smartplug that is just what you are looking for.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-Inlets/SmartPlug
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would consider trying to run the cable through an existing hole into a utility compartment.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

What part of the operation is in doubt?
Do you wonder about making the hole or how to avoid the wire being cut by sharp edges?

There can be real hazards when drilling holes blind but that can be solved on RV because the walls are made up of such thin materials. I would not want to use a drill of any sort but use slow going manual stuff that lets you feel what is going on and stop when in doubt!

First I press, feel and thump to avoid hitting a frame member!
I use something like a small screwdriver first to gradually feel my way through the different layers until I get to the fiberglass outer layer. Once through with the first hole, I probe left/right/up/down to assure there is nothing in the space around that small hole and then go for gradually larger screwdrivers, etc to widen the hole.
I may take ten minutes of slow working but it seems better than hitting something I don't want to cut!
Once I reach the fiberglass I then feel safe to use power to get a much smoother hole in the tough fiber glass shell. I may drill with small like 1/8 inch from inside and then move to outside where it may show more to drill inward to get the smoother hole.

For watertight and appearance. I use rubber grommets and caulk to protect the wire from sharp edges as well as sealing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Look around your motorhome. How many external wires do you see going in through a hole in the sides of your RV? Not many, if any.

The customary way to do as you desire is to run external wires down through an opening in the roof or up from a basement compartment.

Also, you may wish to wait and see - the new Starlink Standard Dish uses a totally different and common Ethernet-type cable instead of the proprietary thick and fragile wire of the current and past Starlink dishes.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

All great ideas, but I am looking for something that is very simple to connect when parked and disconnect when moving. I am looking at something like a bulkhead connector for my cell booster (SMA) and maybe a threaded PVC for the Starlink. I need to do more exploring. For now my RV is burried in snow so I cannot really go investigate
Old 12-27-2023, 11:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I do know about the new Starlink dish but I would still need to run a cable into the RV, whether it is Ethernet type or Starlink proprietary it needs to go through the RV somehow. Running a cable through the basement is OK except that it still requires a hole into the RV
Old 12-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I would go this route e trailer has a "smartplug that is just what you are looking for.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-Inlets/SmartPlug
Link doesn't work as planned, error on etrailer.com end..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 06:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamp View Post
I would like to put a hole in an outer wall of my Winnebago Journey so I can pass a cable for a Starlink or cell extender. I don't like going through the slide-out or window. Going through the slide-out or window will eventually cause problems. There must be a safe way to make a permanent hole that I can pass a cable through when parked and remove and cap when travelling. How can I do that safely?

Check out Amazon and boating websites:https://duckduckgo.com/?q=through+th...=v387-1&ia=web
Use a stud finder that also detects metal studs to locate a blank space in your wall where you wish ot install the waterproof hull port..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks Ray

If op would go to etrailer web page and in the search block type in smart plug.
This will bring up a hole bunch of outdoor plugs.

https://www.etrailer.com/

Looking at the starlink page there connection process seems different, no surprise there.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Looking at the starlink page there connection process seems different, no surprise there.
Yes, the Standard Dish until now has had a cable that cannot be cut and segmented through a connector plug like those suggested from e-trailer.

The new Dish that I mentioned previously has a new cord and speculation is that it is more Ethernet-like that can be cut and connected with typical Ethernet connections. However, it just speculation right now as it’s just now being released.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The idea of how and what to use to go through the wall will depend on lots of small points like size of cables and ends.

And when we speak of running through walls not being done, we are missing some points as things running through the walls are allover the RV!
In many cases they do a good job of hiding the wires but every light on the outside has a wire going to the inside! Antenna of any sort like satellite, CB, or radio have cables going through top or sides and it's usually easier to seal them when vertical than horizontal!

If you want something we might call an access port to just pass some wires through as part of set up, a simple port can be made using some form of threaded pipe.
Make the hole add pipe, packing washers and nuts. Seal the joints and add caps to close the pipe when not needed?

Maybe a flap closure like used for water fill ports would do better?

But first we need to decide what and where we want wires to pass? You likely have 15-20 holes in the sides for all the lights and things hanging on the sides and they have to be sealed the same way!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:39 PM   #13
Just Trying to Help

Jamp-

My Class C had a locking cable hatch, designed for the 30A shore cable. Link to one like it is here. Similar ones, non-locking, are here. They can allow air and vermin in.

If you wanted something more weathertight, there's the Blue Sea Systems Cable Clam (link here). I think it's aimed at permanent installations, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Cord hatch?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Flip top grommets?

https://www.mockett.com/tg3.html
Old 12-31-2023, 06:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Options

First I would be careful and not blindly drill through the wall. I would look for spots where other wires go from outside to inside and see if I can slip a coat hanger or fish tape alongside. The only caveat is don't run a low voltage cable with a high voltage cable. Low voltage is like 12 VDC or your antenna or your network cables and high will be 120 VAC. The AC can potentially induce a current in the DC wire or the other cables which will 1) screw up your Starlink data stream, 2) probably damage your equipment, 3) risk a fire, and 4) possibly give you a shock. I don't know the type of connector the Starlink antenna has, but you might be able to repurpose an existing exterior TV connection. I have a couple of places on the outside to connect a TV for tailgate parties. There is a coax connection (type F) and the cables go to a distribution panel in a cabinet behind the LR TV. I could envision connecting that cable to the Starlink modem / router and you are good to go.
MDJDCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:52 PM   #16
SP4
Winnebago Watcher

This is what I used for my 2021 Mini Winnie TT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1" Twist lock Grommet with a 1" round cap to seal out the weather when not used. I installed it on one of the passthrough hatch doors that allows me to feed the cable up inside and to the Starlink Router when the trailer is used. I also used the Starlink Ethernet adapter in between the Router and Dish cable to make it a little easier, so to reinstall for use, I just plug in the router.

Worked like a charm travelling 11K miles this yr.
SP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Greetings SP4,
Looks like a great solution.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-31-2023, 09:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

For locating where to penetrate the sidewall there are a couple possibilities:
1. Contact Winnebago and request drawing of the sidewall construction
2. On a cool morning while the interior is heated, dew on the exterior will show where the bracing is located.
Travlin Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I know mine has a satellite connection on the roof
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #20
rightleftdyslexic

Heres my 2 cents. I was a boater for 40 years before RV's. If you are going to drill a hole in the side of you RV you must use quality products. Beside all the cautions you received above if this connection leaks you may delaminate the side of your RV. When ever I went through the side or bottom of a boat I always purchased products from a reputable marine suppler like West Marine. Nothing plastic, everything stainless steal or brass including the screws, nuts, bolts, whatever you use to secure it and 5200 from 3M to seal it.
Plastic can crack if it is hit and you will never know it is leaking until it's too late.
I am looking forward to your solution because I have looked at all those star link wires running down the sides of RV's and though there has to be a better way. Good luck.
Joeantolik32 is offline   Reply With Quote