Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 AM   #1
KKH
Winnebago Watcher

Outer skylight replacement

I am in the process of replacing the outer cover on the skylight over the shower on our 2003 Journey. I don't know what sealant to use. The coach has a fiberglass roof.
Thanks
KKH
KKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We use Dicor lap sealant or GeoCell Proflex RV. Any decent exterior grade sealant will work on fiberglass, but I avoid silicone-based stuff because it is miserable to work with if you ever have to caulk again in that spot.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
KKH
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the information. I have heard a lot about dicore but not the other product. I have used the silicone since Winnebago recommmended it. Now I have heard some negatives about it. I just don't want a leak.

KKH
Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKH View Post
Thank you for the information. I have heard a lot about dicore but not the other product. I have used the silicone since Winnebago recommmended it. Now I have heard some negatives about it. I just don't want a leak.

KKH
Winnebago NEVER would have recommended silicone caulk on your roof. DON'T USE SILICONE. You can get a sealant call out for your specific coach on winnebagoind.com or by calling the toll free customer service #.

Dicor self leveling lap sealant would be an acceptable substitute for the lap sealant Winnebago will have on their sealant call out.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used Dicor self leveling when I changed mine out after hail damage. 4 years and still looking (and performing) great.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
KKH
Winnebago Watcher

The product recommended to me for repairing a leak at the skylight is NuFlex 311 joint sealer WINNE 131266-03-01A and NuFlex 313 WINNE 131264-04-01A. Both products are silicone, 311 is self leveling and neither one is a caulk. No more leaks. While washing the roof I broke the outer cover leading to the replacement. 300 bucks into this, I don't want any leaks. Amazon's price no prime.
KKH
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

KKH, I hope you proceed with Winnebago's recommendations. I don't understand why people persist in recommending Dicor, a product that's intended for rubber, not fiberglass roofs, in direct conflict with Winnebago's sealant call-out list.

Granted, it's probably not going to cause damage and may work OK, but it doesn't provide the adhesive function that Winnebago's recommended products do.

Contrary to popular opinion, silicone, per se, is not evil. One shouldn't use bathtub silicone on your RV but there are many quality silicone products each with it's own specific application.

If anyone is in doubt, check the sealant call out list for your model and year at:
https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Sealant.htm

Also, watch this video if you're interested in learning more about this:

There's also no need to goop on whatever you use so it looks like seagull s7%$. It's the layer of sealant between the two parts that does the work. The rest is just an unsightly waste. I come from a boating background and knowledgable boaters would never pile sealant and caulking on like RV owners and manufacturers generally do. Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, light, replace, replacement