Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I wonder if jlamp ever looked at the Starlink wall adapter in the Amazon link I provided?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:43 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I am really thrilled with these responses!!! Please bear in mind that my RV is buried in snow and a true solution won't happen till May (I live in Alaska). I think I will go to West Marine and see what they have. In the mean time I have bought a drill bit that I am waiting for now. MY next task is to find a good stud finder. Any suggestions?
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Approximately how thick is a RV wall? I have never tried to put a hole in one to find out. I am sure the thickness will vary depending on manufacturer and type, but i rough guess would be nice. (I have a Winnebago Journey)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:13 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I would guess the average RV wall is 2-2.5", some might entry-level might be 1,75" some might high-end brands might be 3".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:22 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

This looks like exactly what I am after except my walls are 2" thick. I am still looking
Old 01-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Wink Storage Compartment Wireless Loophole

As a satellite installer for over 20 years, I've done a LOT of installs into campers. Customers always had choices, and I always did it in the way they preferred most.
I went through a LOT of slide-outs, which doesn't cause any collective issues.
As long as the gaskets are pliable, they pop back and smooth out between moves, and the wire rarely lays in it the same way every time, so no permanent wear to the same spot likely happens.
And when the gasket has list enough pliability to leave cable ruts, then it's probably time for a new gasket anyway, as it probably isn't sealing well in other places anymore either.

But that's not what I came here to suggest to you.

My favorite option:
If you have a storage compartment that has power in it, then that's a great place for the modem and router. (I have yet to play with a Starlink modem personally, so I don't know if they have a unified wireless router or not)

Some compartments have drain-holes, so a grommet is easily attained for these at hardware or auto parts stores that would accommodate your pre-made plugs. If there's no drain-hole, a hole can be fairly easily drilled, or sometimes you can follow existing penetration points for pipes or cabling with a flexible grommet or sealant... just poke through it with something dull enough to not skin the other cabling, preferably against the preexisting cables or piping, then push yours through, and let the hole heal itself without adding new sealant. It'll keep air from exchanging, and will still allow you to pull your plug in and out.

Designs vary with RV's so much, that no single nugget of advice will work the same for everybody.
But with the wireless routing originating in that storage cabinet, you'll still have plenty of range everywhere inside the camper, as well as around your campsite with no issues. Those under-carriage bins tend to stay fairly cool, and it cuts down on valuable shelf, counter, or cabinet space inside the RV too!

And BTW... if there's no electric outlets in an under-body storage bin that you'd otherwise like to use, it's easy enough to run electric to it using a purpose-bought 3-prong extension cord that you cut and splice back together after running it from a bin or other spot in the camper that has an outlet you can pull off of. Even with the heating element on the antenna in use during freezing temps outside, any 3 prong extension cord would be heavy enough to handle the Starlink wattage demands with no issues.
Good luck with it!
Jack
SqueakyWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:54 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

These are great answers. Please be patient with me posting my final solution as my RV is buried in snow. When I do resolve this I promise to let everyone know what I did.