Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Options to sell with a damaged roof?

My 2000 Adventurer 35U had the roof Filon peeled back significantly on the left side during our last hurricane. Torn nearly across starting near the bathroom skylight. Entire left side pulled out of the track. Inner and outer skylights damaged. We strapped the roof down mid storm to minimize the damage. Progressive insurance estimated the damage at $15k, but is declining to cover citing "improper maintenance." While she was still in regular use, I don't think the repairs make sense on a rough 22 year old rig anyway. Based on surfing comparable rigs for sale, I believe this is close to its total value.

Is this rig worth anything without repairing the roof? The parts I have bought over the years from salvage yards on the Internet lead me to believe that is a good business somewhere in this country.

What are my options just south of Raleigh, NC? I don't live somewhere that I can part it out in the driveway.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi TASpinner,
Yes, it does sound a little like a total to me. I don't see much downside if you can give it away to somebody who wants it.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 10-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your best bet might be to try and sell it to a roof repair place, or to someone looking for a fixer upper.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Might be able to sell it here: RV salvage yards by state

You might contest their "improper maintenance" decision, you have nothing to lose by doing so.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

What did they quote you as improper roof maintenance.

I have progressive and did for my 2008. 2008 got totaled by Hurricane Harvey. Fortunately for me we went to the storage yard within every two weeks to check on it and that was a major concern of theirs. Storage yard did not have cameras at the time so it was my word and the manager saw me many times. They paid me but I was concerned.

My son lives 1/2 mile away from the storage so on our way to visit him it was easy to stop by and check things.

New coach had some mice get in and chew up some water lines. I recorded every time I check the MH and insurance paid.

I make sure I check it every two weeks. but I don't get up on the roof. Therefor the question.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

As my wife used to work insurance, I also recommend discussing the claim.
Insurance is NOT there for them to take care of US but to take care of THEM and making money is the name of the game!
They often farm out claims after big events and those folks look better if they find ways to avoid the company paying claims!
Ask them exactly WHAT you failed to do? It may take a letter from a law firm to get a clear answer but for the difference in loss, it might be worth asking??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Can you demonstrate that the sealant along the edges of the cove, where the roof is undamaged, is OK? If so, I'd maintain that was evidence of proper maintenance. You could even get an expert opinion froman established, RV repair shop, not a dealer. I'd challenge them to demonstrate that the sealant was inadequate and out of specs. If it failed driving down the road, I can see them having an argument, but I doubt that Winnebago designed their roofs to withstand a hurricane.

Even if they end up accepting responsibility I can see them totalling it for less than $15k.

Don't give up without a fight.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Might be able to sell it here: RV salvage yards by state

You might contest their "improper maintenance" decision, you have nothing to lose by doing so.
Good tip -- there is one place about 80 miles from me. Yes, I'm going to contest it.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
What did they quote you as improper roof maintenance.

The letter they send me was a very short conclusion without supporting evidence. Failure to maintain the seals on the left side of the roof skin leading to long term water damage and failure. Only problem is that is they were maintained and there was no water damage until the Filon was ripped away, ripping and lifting about a third of the roof. It was sitting in my drive way and we strapped the roof down mid-hurricane.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As my wife used to work insurance, I also recommend discussing the claim.
Insurance is NOT there for them to take care of US but to take care of THEM and making money is the name of the game!
They often farm out claims after big events and those folks look better if they find ways to avoid the company paying claims!
Ask them exactly WHAT you failed to do? It may take a letter from a law firm to get a clear answer but for the difference in loss, it might be worth asking??

The letter was very non-specific. I'm working on a response now where I challenging them on their contradictory and vague statements, offering my own interpretation, and asking if the next step in an attorney. I can sue in small claims for up to $10k, which is about what it was worth, for a $96 filing fee and no attorney required.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Can you demonstrate that the sealant along the edges of the cove, where the roof is undamaged, is OK? If so, I'd maintain that was evidence of proper maintenance. You could even get an expert opinion froman established, RV repair shop, not a dealer. I'd challenge them to demonstrate that the sealant was inadequate and out of specs. If it failed driving down the road, I can see them having an argument, but I doubt that Winnebago designed their roofs to withstand a hurricane.

Even if they end up accepting responsibility I can see them totalling it for less than $15k.

Don't give up without a fight.

I plan to provide documentation of the required sealant, a cross reference to the brand I used, and an Amazon receipt for the purchase. I plan to provide the details of how I prepped and applied the sealant. I plan to challenge them on their conclusion and demonstrate support of an alternate explanation -- the expert that they sent out agreed with me that their was evidence of something striking the corner beside the skylight. A lot of the sealant was still stuck to the Filon that had pulled out of the channel. Something exceeded its stress limit and pulled out the entire left side.

I have no issues with a total. Their estimate of repair had errors, like a $100 skylight. I believe that double sided thing is $700 from Winnebago. Running comps on similar rigs for sale around the country, a my guess of a 10k appraisal is on the low side, but within reason.

Fight ? Oh yeah. They are going to find out that engineers love to argue and sometimes have even done their homework before maintaining the rig. Their treatment of this feels dishonest, which makes me want to dig in even more.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Real value and cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASpinner View Post
My 2000 Adventurer 35U had the roof Filon peeled back significantly on the left side during our last hurricane. Torn nearly across starting near the bathroom skylight. Entire left side pulled out of the track. Inner and outer skylights damaged. We strapped the roof down mid storm to minimize the damage. Progressive insurance estimated the damage at $15k, but is declining to cover citing "improper maintenance." While she was still in regular use, I don't think the repairs make sense on a rough 22 year old rig anyway. Based on surfing comparable rigs for sale, I believe this is close to its total value.

Is this rig worth anything without repairing the roof? The parts I have bought over the years from salvage yards on the Internet lead me to believe that is a good business somewhere in this country.

What are my options just south of Raleigh, NC? I don't live somewhere that I can part it out in the driveway.
I don’t know your situation but I would look at the value to me and the condition of the coach.
I have a 2003 and quite honestly it is better condition than a lot of much newer rigs.
If it’s in good shape and you like it get a few quotes on a new roof before totaling.
Don’t count on insurance help as Winnebago says inspect seal every six months.
Good luck
All else fails load up on eternabond.
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Real value and cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASpinner View Post

I don’t know your situation but I would look at the value to me and the condition of the coach.
I have a 2003 and quite honestly it is better condition than a lot of much newer rigs.
If it’s in good shape and you like it get a few quotes on a new roof before totaling.
Good luck
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale57 View Post
Good luck
I did some emergency repairs -- I now have a plastic covered plywood "skylight" and lots of sealant and eternabond. I'm just trying to keep the water out while I sort this out. I'm not sure it can handle the wind on the freeway.

Good point about value to me, Our camping patterns changed with a move three years ago, and with just the two of us, I would rather have something smaller / lower maintenance / cheaper to use. Might go back to a bumper pull trailer.

Tags
roof