Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2022, 11:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slow leveler storage

Hello all, I have a 2007 Tour 40TD and the two levelers on the driver's side take forever to store, but they go down just fine. I've replaced the return springs on one of them and it still goes up really slow. After about 5 minutes if they don't go up I have to use a small jack to push them up.

Is there a valve or something I can adjust to help the situation or do I need to replace something?

Thank you.
Jim
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No jack expert here, but I do know that the fluid that is forced in to extend the jacks, has to come back out when we retract. That movement is controlled by the various solenoid valves and those valves can fail to move or get stopped up something like a faucet aerator.

But a check that the fluid is fully correct is an easy first step to make sure it is not a really simple fix? We found on our problem, the jacks would go up but not down when low on fluid.

I might warn on that , there is a plug on the side which you may see first but the correct one to check is on top and much harder to spot and get to!
Depends on brand, etc. but my problem was I was checking the first plug on the side, leaving the fluid way low!
Hope for luck and it can work out at times?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ours occaisionally are slow or one or more won't fully retract.

A little TLC makes it all better. See if these attachments help.

Service Bulletin - Jack Maintenance.pdf

Service Bulletin - Jack Retraction Times.pdf

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine seem to take quite a while to retract, but eventually they all get back to the home position.. I am wondering if your oil during the past 15 years has deteriorated or congealed causing the problem..Maybe just a simple jack oil change will improve the situation..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStreit View Post
Hello all, I have a 2007 Tour 40TD and the two levelers on the driver's side take forever to store, but they go down just fine. I've replaced the return springs on one of them and it still goes up really slow. After about 5 minutes if they don't go up I have to use a small jack to push them up.

Is there a valve or something I can adjust to help the situation or do I need to replace something?

Thank you.
Jim
I have the Power Gear levelers by Lippert on my Sunstar 29VE. My manual says to make sure the rods are clean and if necessary, spray them with silicon spray lube. I've done that a few times and sometimes it helps and other times not much. My front jacks pull up just fine, but my rear jacks are slow. In other words, I have to hit the retract button several times to get the rear jacks to retract. I've also put two squirts of lithium grease into the rear jacks (front jacks do not have the grease fittings, only the rear). One last thing I've read it to siphon out the old fluid and replace it with new ATF fluid. Just like in our cars, the fluid can pick up some moisture or other contamination and seems to me it wouldn't hurt to replace it. Be curious to hear from you if you found a fix.
Ed
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Ours occaisionally are slow or one or more won't fully retract.

A little TLC makes it all better. See if these attachments help.

Attachment 184063

Attachment 184064

Thank you for the service bulletins. The cylinders look clean but I'll double check them and clean them. I'll also try backing off the solenoid valve to see if that changes anything.

I've been using a floor jack and slowly push them up. When pushing, the problem one makes a sound like squeezing air out. I guess it could also be the sound of fluid. When yours don't fully retract how do you get them up?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Mine seem to take quite a while to retract, but eventually they all get back to the home position.. I am wondering if your oil during the past 15 years has deteriorated or congealed causing the problem..Maybe just a simple jack oil change will improve the situation..
Good point. I'll check into how to do this.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jim, invariably (and only occasionally) ours act up when we're shooting for an early start or have dawdled over coffee and a beautiful morning and are now late. And/or we've sat several days in some boondock hideyhole and they've collected dirt.

We will extend to the point of over extension, flush generously with WD40, retract. Can't recall a repeat being needed. Silicone spray works well, too. We never wipe with a cloth. Stubborn dirt is chased with a hose and suicide nozzle when we bottom clean.

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer with HWH jacks. I had issues with slow jack retraction on the passenger side front and rear. I learned the hard way not to leave the store mode on for long periods of time waiting on the jacks to retract. I burned out all 4 solenoids. Then all 4 solenoids fuses blew.

I replaced all 4 solenoids and the shuttle valve. Installed the newer style retract springs. Still had issues.

If you have HWH jacks you can open each solenoid valve them manually at the pump and see if your jacks retract. If they do most likely you jacks are ok.

I had to replace the jacks in questions. Now the jacks retract in less then a minute. The bearing or what could be called a sleeve inside the jack swells. Hydraulics can extend the jack butthe jacks are not two way. Issues inside the jack cause it not to retract when the hydraulic pressure is release by the solenoid. The springs just can't pull the jack back up.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

FYI, HWH says not to use silicone spray or anything other than WD40. The wiper seal in the cylinder can become caked with dirt and dust, this hardens and limits the jack-shaft ability to slide through the wiper. WD40 softens and loosens that caked on dirt so the woper can move as designed.
You'll note the instructions say to wipe off the WD40 after spraying.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi All,
I wanted to give you an update. I took the advice to replace the hydraulic fluid and cleaned the jacks with WD-40 and a rag. The fluid looks like it was transmission fluid, reddish color. I replaced it with HWH fluid which was basically clear. Not sure which thing fixed the issue, or if it was the combination of both things, but the jacks are retracting great now.

Thank you all for the advice.
Jim

Tags
storage