Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need a new Low Pressure Grill

We have a Vista 31BE and need a new grill that will connect to our RV propane. Would like a large cooking surface for our family of 6. Suggestions?
PaulDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Love our Blackstone griddle. All kind of sizes available.
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I know you said "Grill," but are you familiar with the Blackstone products?

They have a 22" Adventurer for around $225 and if a veteran you can get 10% off at Lowe's.

That model comes with a fordable stand and a propane tank adapter. You can also get long propane lines on-line for the on-board system.

The 22" can cook (at one time) 12 pancakes, 12 eggs, 12 hamburgers, 9 steaks, 16 bacon strips, 12 chicken breasts.

The griddle top is separate from the burner and is easy to store in my MH. Grills are nice, but I am not a griddle convert. Want shrimp? Just throw them on the griddle. Want stir fried rice? Just do it the griddle. Want a perfectly seared Steak? Griddle.

I'm not associated with Blackstone. There are other griddles out there, evej some with dual capabilities of griddle/grill.

Good luck. I'm sure others will come along and recommend some grills.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a Camp Chef two burner stove and a 20" cast iron grill/griddle that sits on top. Just need to replace the regulator hose with a non-regulator quick disconnect hose. I can use a skillet on one burner and a pot/pan on the other if I want.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
2017 Vista 29ve

I love my Camp Chef. I have the single burner with griddle. Fits in my smaller door/bay just right.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I hated the clean up involved with grills. And no matter how much I cleaned it, there was still always residue and odors in my pass thru from the grill. The Blackstone griddle cleanup takes only a couple of minutes and it’s clean enough to put away or cook another meal. I’ve got the model with griddle and high output burner, so I can cook something in a pot simultaneously (I like corn on the cob). If you just can’t live without a fire grilled steak, there’s always the campfire pit grate, which we use, placing a clean grate on top. For smoking, Wayne (above) taught me how to smoke using the Blackstone. Now I can do smoked wings. Ask him.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

@Marine359. what model Blackstone do you have that you can store in a pass through… and you can grill on
PaulDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDeb View Post
@Marine359. what model Blackstone do you have that you can store in a pass through… and you can grill on
This is the Adventure model I have. 17” griddle on the left, and burner on the right. Came with Deep fryer accessories. $127 from Wally World online. But, I just checked the Blackstone website, and didn’t see it. Maybe discontinued? I did however see a model like mine with an electric air fryer on the right instead of a burner. I’d probably opt for that if it were available when I bought. There’s also a model with a grill on the right. When slipping the Blackstone into the pass thru, set the feet onto a carpet remnant so you don’t bend the footers. I learned. Also, when you’re done for the day, put the grease trap on the griddle under the hood. Otherwise there will be a critter party at your campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51397BAA-2013-4D8E-AE04-4B0732B297DF.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	183667  
Old 07-31-2022, 07:33 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDeb View Post
We have a Vista 31BE and need a new grill that will connect to our RV propane. Would like a large cooking surface for our family of 6. Suggestions?
Most portable BBQ grills can easily be modified for low pressure use by simply removing the regulator on the grill and attaching a properly sized propane line in its place.

The tricky part is find one large enough to accommodate a family of six but small enough for convenient storage and portability.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You must be coming off the regulator of the RV as grills/griddles require 10-1/2 to 11 inches of water column. Most RV's have a two stage regulator. Propane tanks have between 100-200 psi. The first stage takes it down to 10-15 psi, and the second stage takes it down to the 11 inches of column pressure.

So RV external lines MAY be between the tank and regulator so any appliance run from an extension line will require a regulator.

Be very careful and understand what you have and what you want to do.You should be able to open you propane bay and see where the external line is coming off of. If it is after the RV regulator you should be good to go with an extension line.

First time lighting, STAND BACK!
Old 07-31-2022, 10:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

As Jim stated, you can smoke on a griddle. All that is needed is a cover.

In an aluminum loaf pan place your favorite smoke wood. Use a lighter and set it on fire. Place the aluminum pan on a resting rack on the griddle along with whatever you want to smoke. Close the lid and cook.

Make sure to keep the smoke going by checking he foil pan.

If you don't have a lid on the griddle (can do this on a grill also) use a portable cover (Blackstone and Camp Chef have one) to cover the food and foil pan.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

What you been smokin Wayne? Love smoking wings, as you showed me on the griddle, but maybe some smoke got in your eyes Marine. I’ve never heard of ANY rv having a quick disconnect that is not low pressure. Every QD, I believe is 11 column inch output, designed to connect to low pressure appliances. If there is only one regulator on your propane tanks, and one feed line to the coach, you can rest assured that low pressure, the same as what’s going to your range, fridge, and furnace, is what’s going to the QD. However, as you noted, I should have taken your advice to step back when lighting. Wondering why it burned off my eyebrows, but left behind my nose hairs. Mystery of science I guess.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I would rather preach on the side of safety, like STEP BACK and check lines than lose my faint eyebrows.

So you're one of those that can't follow instructions. Must have been an officer!
Just listen to your Gunny.

Marine corps saying to a new second lieutenant.
CO to New Liuey, "You are now in charge of a platoon. The gunny will tell you what to do!"
Old 07-31-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Never had to RTFM. First meeting with Senior NCO: “OK, you take it from here Gunny. Call me if you need me, or if a teachable moment is occurring. I’ll be in the BOQ.”

Like: “You shouldn’t stand behind the exhaust nozzle of that F-4 Lieutenant “

If I wanted to live with an abundance of caution, I wouldn’t have become a Marine.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

You can modify any grill by removing the regulator.
I modified our Weber Q 1000 (to small for you) by removing the regulator and pluming in a quick connect.

I've never gotten around to it but I could plumb the old regulator to a quick connect and use it with the bottles again as a portable.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
You can modify any grill by removing the regulator.

Not quite any. I have an old Thermos Grill2Go that I was never able to do anything with, the regulator has about a 3" long nipple on it that connects directly to the burner. I tried to find some way to adapt it and just gave up and bought my new Camp Chef.

Looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermos-reg.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	183695  
Old 08-04-2022, 05:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I'm guessing unthread that nozzle part from the adjustable regulator. Plum that to a valve and the valve to a quick connect. Did you try that? Holding that "nozzle" part and new valve assembly in place would require a little extra work.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I did unscrew the nozzle and searched all over for parts to do what you suggest, even took it to a couple propane supply and service companies. No luck. Gave up and gave it to our son and bought the Camp Chef instead. It just wasn't worth the time and effort I was putting in to it anymore.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

That was determination. I probably would have stopped after the first plumbing supply. Hope the Camp Chef worked out for you.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, it became something of a crusade for me for some reason.