Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have been plagued by low water pressure in our coach when using the standard "pressure regulatiors" sold for most RVs. I used two gauges, one before and one after the regulator and found that, although I was getting >60lbs into the 45lb regulator, I was only getting about 30lbs out. With information I found here on the forum, I replaced the regulator with a Watts Whole House adjustable regulator and what a difference! I've adjusted it to the 45lbs recommended by the factory and it solved the problem. Counting the fittings needed, total cost was about $45 at Lowes.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have been plagued by low water pressure in our coach when using the standard "pressure regulatiors" sold for most RVs. I used two gauges, one before and one after the regulator and found that, although I was getting >60lbs into the 45lb regulator, I was only getting about 30lbs out. With information I found here on the forum, I replaced the regulator with a Watts Whole House adjustable regulator and what a difference! I've adjusted it to the 45lbs recommended by the factory and it solved the problem. Counting the fittings needed, total cost was about $45 at Lowes.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

way to go Rick. Great site isn't it

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rick,

I too have wondered about a low cost fix and it sounds like you found it.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I did the same thing for my Meridian. I then mounted the Watts regulator in the water compartment and permanently connected the outlet from the regulator to the water inlet on the coach. I usually leave the house connected to the regulator inlet and simply hook up the hose to the park faucet.

The only issue that might remain is that the hose is not protected by the pressure reducer -- but over the several months, I have never had an issue and keep an eye on it.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well, I guess things are just cheaper in CA. I just got back from our local Lowes. The 3/4" regulator is $50, fittings and gauges another $30 or so. I have also had poor performance from those cheap RV hose regulators. What I do is start off with regulator connected. If the water pressure inside is really poor, I go take off the regulator and takes my chances.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the water pressure inside is really poor, I go take off the regulator and takes my chances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't use a regulator and have never had a problem of any kind. Some C.G's have regulators on the bib. If they give me problems I take them off. I do use a large whole house filter before the inlet.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If the campground pressure is too low, consider filling your water tank and use the pump. I always get good flow that way.

To Homer- I wish you luck. We were at a RV Park (very nice $$ place) and the pressure varied from 30 in the AM to 125 at night!!!!!! I don't know about you but there is NO WAY I would subject my piping to that. The damage caused by a late night flood is way more than a good Watts regulator.

Another time, in Branson, we came back to a broken hose (prior to regulator). Everyone near was POed and there was water all over the place.

And don't be fooled by those little barrel "regulators" you can buy for $7.00. They DO NOT regulate static water pressure. The drop flowing water down to 40PSI or so,. When the flow is turned off, the pressure on the piping goes right back to mains pressure, whatever it is. Of course, the pipe burstts at the 125# mark but the resulting flood will be controlled to 40PSI. You will still see a great amount of damage.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a pressure gage for checking water pressure, it is not a regulator. I have rarely seen any c/g water pressure exceed 65 lbs, and most certainly no where near 125#. Been doing this for over 40 years. However, I would never say never.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just found this link to a web site that sells adjustable pressure regulator for $55. The regulator is for RV use and has hose fittings with a gauge.

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Watch out, the little Watts regulator is a bit too small and still reduces the flow too much. Better to step up to a true full-flow regulator.

Ken
Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

"Watch out, the little Watts regulator is a bit too small and still reduces the flow too much. Better to step up to a true full-flow regulator. "

What is a little Watts Regulator? Mine is a 3/4" which is as big as the hose and hose bib.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Good question Hamguy. Mine too is the 3/4" and I can testify that (adjusted to 45lbs) it puts out both excellent pressure and volume in my coach.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD