Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need Grill Guard Advice 2014 Itasca Sprinter

Looking for a Heavy Duty Grill Guard for 2014 Itasca Winne Navion on Sprinter 3500 Chassis. Would like to reject highway wildlife from gaining access to the radiator and deflect road debris from headlights and grill.

Features like a partial wrap around the front end, an expanded steel grill and enough heft to carry some payload (possibility a bicycle) would be nice.

Anybody with experience or suggestions?

Thanks.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Never seen one on any kind of Sprinter. Does anyone actually make one for a Sprinter?

The only people that have those on the front of their trucks are usually ranchers and off roaders but motorhomes, never. If you do go ahead with one, you are going to give up a lot of payload because of the weight.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've thought about your question for a day... hoping for some clarity. Not sure I have it but here goes...

Taking a Crow step back. Daimler - Benz (AKA Mercedes Benz -Daimler and other historically famous brands in their stable) is first and foremost and engineering firm. They do auto engineering to a fair-thee-well. From Grand Prix racers in the 30s to the Formula One cars and engines (turbo V6 with a kinetic energy unit AND a Heat energy unit, endurance & rally cars from the '50s like the 300SL, Daimler aircraft engines, Maybach Zeppelin engines, Mother Benz has done it all.

Yes, there are 'Roo bars', deer bars, gate bars, etc., for Sprinters. You have to check the internet. Definitely, in Austrailia, NZ and Tasmania, maybe Africa. Haven't seen any here in the states. But there's probably 30 different vendors for 'merican trucks and cars here in TEXAS.

I'd be very cautious about hanging a big chunk of metal on the front end of a Sprinter van or RV.

First, it is always 'dead weight'. Some Class Cs have very small Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity. Adding a 'Roo Bar' takes away from the OCCC.

MB/Daimler/Sprinter vans/cab chassis are really well designed with your and your passenger's safety in mind. They can ABSORB a lot of damage dissipating a huge amount of energy in a calculated, scientific, destruction of the body work, front frame, displacing engine, hood, cab and doors so that you can walk away. The vans are even designed with crush-able impact absorbing foam pads in the roof just by the driver and passenger heads, for what it is worth.

And, then there's the calibration of the airbag impact sensors which are designed to work in a very scientific way to fire, or not fire, the air bags. Adding iron out front changes that. The entire effort is to give you the best chance of walking away from an accident with no, or minor injuries. And, people have horrendous accidents in Sprinters and walk away.

Put in Crow-Speak: the van is expendable, you are not......

Hanging a hunk of iron off the front end, regardless of purpose, changes all of that safety engineering and in all likelihood increases your chance of serious injury.

A second point (or maybe a third?)..... On the other side of Mother's safety engineering suites are her Boyz who do the engine cooling and aerodynamic work. The newer vans (maybe from 2013 on) are 'Blue Efficiency' designs. From year to year there have been very subtle changes in the shape of the grill, fenders, mirrors, bumpers and a bunch of other unseen things to improve the aerodynamic and mechanical efficiency of the van. They continue to hone that efficiency down to a microtome's edge.

If you compare a Sprinter from about 08 on, to a FORD, CHEVY or DODGE you will see that the 'mercian trucks/vans have huge openings in the front. Yeh, part of that is for efficient cooling of their engines... but it is mostly for the MACHO appearance. Mother's vans have grill openings about 1/2 that size, or less, (sure, smaller engine and cooling system!) but the Wizards in Stuttgart have closed and refined that opening with carefully designed slots, vanes and openings to minimize the air entry (= drag) while providing adequate cooling air to the radiator, inter-cooler, and AC coil under all operating conditions. If you hang a bunch of iron, spare tire, fishing rods or beer cooler in front of the grill, you are going to restrict and disrupt the flow of air into the carefully crafted opening, As we all know, that's not a good plan.

The point is: Mercedes doesn't to anything with out a lot of thought and engineering leading the finished design. Although, we sometimes may disagree or be puzzled by their seemingly confused approach to stuff..... In the case of engine cooling, everything the Stuttgart Boyz have done has been to give you the most efficiency. From the cooling system, to the fans, & engine compartment layout are designed on a razor thin efficiency level to let in just enough air and not more than needed to do the job. If you mess with the airflow through the grill, there's going to be fall out somewhere along the line because everything has to be in balance. Mother want's it that way... an engineered, balanced approach to efficient operations. It is what Mercedes Benz does.

'merican cars and trucks it don't much matter... hell you could put a tarp over the grill of Ford, Chebby or Dodge on a 105F day and drive 85 in Texas and never over heat it. German and Japanese designs... it do.

As an aside, to show what craftsmanship and engineering Daimler-Benz puts into things.....
Somewhere in Britain there is a BF-109 fighter with a Daimler-Benz DB-605 engine built in late '44 under wartime conditions. The DB-605 is a 12-cylinder liquid-cooled, fuel injected, supercharged 60° inverted Vee aircraft piston engine. Who knows how many were made in all the variants? The 109, was captured during the war and used for test and evaluations. Worn out it was put into storage. Sometime in the 70?s it was decided to return it to flying status as a museum aircraft. The engine was pulled and sent to Rolls-Royce, the only company with the 'smarts & tools' to repair/rebuild/refurbish the engine. The crankshaft was pulled and checked. The RR engineers reportedly told the museum: "The crank is in perfect condition. No issues. And.... by the by.... do not break it!!!!! We do not have the ability to make another one with these close tolerances. The builders did an outstanding job on machining the one you have......

The point: If you mess around with Daimler Benz stuff, you had better be on the top of your game because they put a lot of effort into making the product.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Old Crows, as always, a great write up.

BTW, OP did hit a mule deer headon in the daytime so I can understand his concern and wanting to find a solution. I think I'd rather rely on Mercedes engineering to protect me than some untested add-on hunk of metal.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

MB 3500 Grill Guard

Thanks to luvlabs & Old Crows for insights and issues to consider re grill guard addition. Many of your comments have been proven by my experience of hitting a mule deer broadside at about 45mph. It took 3 mths and 19K$ to get on the road again, don't want a repeat performance.

Re MB engineering, it is one of the main reasons I choose the Navion. The chassis absorbed the collision well, my wife and I were unscathed. The RF 1/4 panel was shoved back into the door jam so the door wouldn't open.

Of interest is the overloading of the chassis to begin with and the fact that the air bags didn't deploy. The overload is clearly an engineering defect. The lack of air bag deployment was a topic of conversation at the body shop. Both make one wonder about the engineering........ I put Timbrens on the back and Sumo's on the front, with Bilstien's all around, a huge improvement.

The conclusion was that the vehicle's inertia was so great due to the overloading that the deceleration from impact was inadequate to trigger the air bag accelerometer. Also, it was speculated that the accelerometer is located near the left front of the grill where the impact was cushioned. Coincidentally, during the rebuild of the front-end I got an air bag recall notice from MB so the shop did the Takata change out also.

Back to the grill guard, I have found a couple of designs that seem too light to provide the kind of protection that I am seeking. Accepting the stock design is what I am thinking of doing right now. Beside the mule deer collision, I have often seen carcasses of coyotes and other furry things laying in blood patches along the highway, which make me think that the size of the animal has a bearing on the effectiveness of a grill guard as well as the time of day. I have done a lot of driving at night (hit the deer about 4:00 p.m.) and generally try to follow a semitruck as a grill guard although they tend to throw rocks (I'm on my 3rd windshield). I also had an evening owl collision where the bird got stuck in the crevice of the cab-over and windshield, no damage to the vehicle. Anyway thanks for the comments, if I do anything, I'll post it.

Shedboy
Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

RE: Air bag non deployment. Sorry.... that's all body shop speculation. What do you mean by 'overloaded'?

If the air bag didn't deploy it is because the impact didn't create enough "deceleration" force within the time parameters and algorithms worked out by the engineers. That's why you will see many accidents where the ABs don't deploy. They aren't needed. Heck, that happens everyday....

And then you can see some accidents where there is little apparent damage and the ABs are blown.

These kinds of accidents can be really expensive and time consuming. It's just the way it is... Sometimes expensive enough that the vehicle is a write off. Gotta remember you are still around to read the accident reports and sign the insurance checks.... that's the important stuff.

In Texas there's a saying: There's two kinds of drivers... One kind has hit a deer. The other is one who will. It's just the way it is. Do your best to practice heads up driving... day or night.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The only successful grill guards I have seen are big, heavy steel ones built for OTR truckers. These will keep a deer out of the vital parts of the front of the truck. They probably weigh as much as our motorhomes, however. But if you have deliver a load overnight, you do what you have to do.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Grill Gaurd Divertion

luvlabs-

The issue of weight seems to be the major detraction. I would like to know if anybody who installed a grill guard and hit something has any comments or advice. I travel between Denver and Portland OR at least every 3 mths, If the weather allows, I take the RV. !st choice is HWY 80/84. 2nd is HWY 40 and 3rd, airplane.

On one trip via HWY 40 a pickup truck that was in front of a semi that I was following lost a full hay bail. The semi swerved so suddenly (as if a semi can swerve) that I followed it out of caution I couldn't see what was happening in front of the semi.. Lucky for me, I missed the hay bail which was sliding down the drivers side of the lane that I had been in, just about where the left wheels would have been.

I not sure that a grill guard would have helped had there been a collision but it was an experience that sticks with me.

Re the weight issue, it is well documented that Winnie/Itasca RV weight is marginally overloaded from the factory. If equipped with self-leveling (mine is) and full tanks there is no weight margin for the MB Sprinter 3500 chassis. Of interest is the tow package from Winnie/Itasca that if used, results in significant overload. I added overload springs and shocks but that just transfers the mechanical stress to some other component(s). The increase in performance was substantial, an indication the the chassis IS overloaded.

I am happy with the overall capability and performance or the RV, I don't think there is any other competitor that offers greater value.

Tags
advice, itasca