Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Jack light comes on

I have a 2009 Journey and the jack light would pop on with all the warning lights. Then goes off I didn't notice the jacks are very slow to move .
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Intermittant "jacks down" light often indicates low hydrolic fluid.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A light that comes on when cornering, etc isoften low fluid as it tilts when we move the RV.
And to make this more prone to happen, the instructions on how full the tank needs to be often mislead folks. I've forgotten what they say but we do get folks who are sure it is full but if they add more the problem goes away.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

X3, If you have an HWH system there should be a dipstick on the filler cap. Make sure oil level is at the full mark. I've read where some say oil level should be between 1/2 and 1" from top of tank.
READ YOUR MANUAL for type of oil. Do not use hydraulic jack oil!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Something else to add, from experience. When you Store your HWH jacks the control pad keeps the retract solenoids open for something like 20 minutes. If you are like me, I would use the ignition switch in the accessory position to store the jacks so as to not have to listen to the warning chime that sounds if in the On position. Worse yet I don't run the diesel engine while they are retracting, as others may be sleeping in. As soon as the light on the last retracting jack would go out I would remove power from the system by moving the ignition switch to the off position.

In some cases if you do this when it is cool as is usually is in the morning, and drive into warmer weather the Hydraulic fluid can warm up and expand. This expansion can push one or more of the jacks back down enough to trip the switch and give you the Jacks Down warning. I experienced this on a stop in Northern GA this winter. I now try to let the HWH controller do it's job and leave the ignition switch in the Accessory position till the Controlled turns itself off. There is usually plenty of things you can be doing outside while breaking camp.

As a side note and bonus information. If you are having trouble getting your jacks to retract, no not turn the jack controller back on till the solenoids have had a change to cool down. Repeated 20 minute on cycles with out the 30 minute cool down can fry your solenoids.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Low fluid was the issue
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Good to hear back about your issue from last year. Hope you had a nice year traveling after adding ATF fluid.

Tags
light