Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Infotainment removal 2018 Journey 40J

I have a 2018 Journey 40J. A portion of the 10” infotainment touch screen has stopped working. I’m not able to figure out how to remove the screen to replace it. Anyone with knowledge of this? Thanks in advance.
RamblingRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not sure if this is the exact version as our 2016 Adventurer, but I just finished replacing mine. In our case it was very easy. We have 2 A/C louvered vents over the 10 " screen. I unscrewed and removed them. Then I reached down behind-- the only problem is they didn't properly size the vents for my FAT arms. I-- with a little help from my skinny armed DW- managed to fairly easily reached down behind the screen. There were 4 nuts attached to threaded bolts fixed on the rear of the screen-- somewhat small and I can't remember the size that I unscrewed with a ratchet and socket. Then the screen slides out easily from the dash and there is an HDMI cable to unplug and another multi pin plug to unplug. I just reassembled mine last night and it only took about 10-15 minutes.

2 Months ago I called WBGO Tech Support and asked how to remove the screen. They were somewhat bumfuzzled and said they'd call back shortly. Its now been 2 months and I still await the call from 'bago so I figured it out myself. Turned out to be relatively easy- even with my fat arms. In all fairness Riverpark told me about the 4 bolts and nuts but didn't know how to get access to them.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Team

I can help you soom with this.

That monitor is not the infotainment system, it’s just a monitor for the external “Core Unit” mounted elsewhere.

Replacing the system… which is the Xite system from Riverpark Inc, is not very easy to find a suitable replacement.

Let’s take a step back and find out what you mean exactly by “ stopped working”?
Old 08-08-2023, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Forgot to mention the first thing I would check its the HDMI cable connection at the control head and at the rear of the monitor. A couple weeks after I installed my new monitor the screen went nuts and started acting up. They sent me a short HDMI cable to add right behind the screen (rather than replace the entire HDMI) behind the screen and now all is well????

Apparently the HDMI connections and cables are somewhat sensitive? Ours acted up after really rough roads on I-70 in CO
Old 08-08-2023, 07:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I should have been more clear in n my description. The screen appears fine but the middle third of the monitor does not respond to touch.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

A call to Riverpark Tech support to advise them of the condition might give you some good advise on what to consider and how to proceed 800-442-7717. They always ask for the screen size, year, make,model of the motorhome . They've walked me through a lot over the years is birddogging and solving problems
Old 08-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
A call to Riverpark Tech support to advise them of the condition might give you some good advise on what to consider and how to proceed 800-442-7717. They always ask for the screen size, year, make,model of the motorhome . They've walked me through a lot over the years is birddogging and solving problems
I spoke with Riverpark and we determined that the monitor is bad. I ordered a replacement monitor ($499)which should be here within a week. I was able to access the nuts in the back of the monitor from an opening on the side of the console by the drivers side pedals. It was challenging but is also was able to disconnect the three electrical cables as well. (One hdmi cable, a 4wire electrical connector, and a small wait plug for the Bluetooth phone speaker). I’ll give an update when I get the new monitor installed.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Frustrated with Riverpark

My 10" screen which I received and installed in late May with the new system (control head and monitor) lasted about 4 weeks, then suddenly went to a green hue. Riverpark kept believing it was the HDMI cable and sent me 2 new ones and had me attach it to test to see if that was the problem. After that drill the monitor still remained green so they gave up and said it had to be the new 10 inch screen. They told me to take the screen I had out that was installed in May, load it up and to send it back and they were loading a new one up to ship to me, after assuring me they had plenty in stock.

Yesterday after a week of waiting for a shipment notice, and numerous phone calls, they admitted they had shipped their last 10 inch screen for my system and were out of stock with 6 weeks to wait on restocking. They offered a new monitor with an extra non functioning button that fit and operated properly, but the extra button would not work with my new control head. I couldn't wait 6 weeks for the proper monitor to be restocked. So I agreed to the alternate monitor with the extra non functioning button as I needed the huge hole in my dash plugged up, the dash re-assembled, and the rig back in a more usable state.

They assured me they would ship it immediately (yesterday). It apparently did not---- and I still wait. Getting frustrated with Riverpark after several weeks of back and forth.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
My 10" screen which I received and installed in late May with the new system (control head and monitor) lasted about 4 weeks, then suddenly went to a green hue. Riverpark kept believing it was the HDMI cable and sent me 2 new ones and had me attach it to test to see if that was the problem. After that drill the monitor still remained green so they gave up and said it had to be the new 10 inch screen. They told me to take the screen I had out that was installed in May, load it up and to send it back and they were loading a new one up to ship to me, after assuring me they had plenty in stock.

Yesterday after a week of waiting for a shipment notice, and numerous phone calls, they admitted they had shipped their last 10 inch screen for my system and were out of stock with 6 weeks to wait on restocking. They offered a new monitor with an extra non functioning button that fit and operated properly, but the extra button would not work with my new control head. I couldn't wait 6 weeks for the proper monitor to be restocked. So I agreed to the alternate monitor with the extra non functioning button as I needed the huge hole in my dash plugged up, the dash re-assembled, and the rig back in a more usable state.

They assured me they would ship it immediately (yesterday). It apparently did not---- and I still wait. Getting frustrated with Riverpark after several weeks of back and forth.
Which system do you have? I have the XSG3NA. I received notification from UPS that the monitor has been shipped.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'm now on my 3rd monitor. It arrived about 2 hours ago by UPS (I was never notified it shipped), but just glad I have something to plug the huge hole in my dash LOL!

I replaced the original factory unit with an XSGNA3 monitor screen, the control head was the new G4 with NavNgo. There was no problem with the original factory installed monitor screen but they advised it would not work with the new XSG4NA system. That new monitor turned green and failed after its first trip. After several weeks of trying to bird dog the problem with tech support believing it was a bad HDMI cable, they decided it was a bad monitor screen which was brand new.

The 3rd monitor screen that arrived today looks very similar to the XSGNA3 but is slightly different in that it has an additional button near the top left which they say will not work with my new control head.

So in the last hour I installed the new screen and the picture and all other functions seem to work OK---- EXCEPT MY LEFT AND RIGHT HAND TURN CAMERAS DO NOT DISPLAY. The new screen came with a long extra wire and male jacks. I have no idea what it is for.

I have been all through everything and can not see any disconnected wires or empty plug ports anywhere behind the spaghetti pile of wires in the control head and infotainment box. So Monday I'll be on the phone to Riverpark looking for my left and right hand cameras and what's wrong. The rear camera works great.

The packing slip said this monitor that came today was a XS90116M104C1 replacement for the previous type they ran out of (and turned green) which was an XS90115M104C. I assume the latter is a full model number for the XSGNA3. The only apparent difference being the added button at the top left. Both new screens are substantially different than the one that came from the factory in 2016.

I've been going around and around with this since May and am really frustrated. What's worse is I really do not like the new NavNGo GPS system. The original Rand McNally was infinitely better, and I would still have it if my control head had not literally fallen apart. Sorry for the negative comments. Good luck and all the best with your system.

Joe

Tags
removal, journey