Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Infotainment Center Rand McNally RV GPS

We have a 2014 Winnebago 37F with the built-in GPS from Rand/Good Sam.
This is a horrible GPS. It does not have the same software as the portable units from Rand/Good Sam. First searching on Henderson, NY does not return the location. I contacted Rand and was told "Henderson is not a City" you have to search on "Henderson, town of, NY" Really???? Google, Mapquest, Yahoo, WeatherUnderground, and my Garmin locate it no problem. Tech support told me we're not Google they "compensate for town, city". Also when I went to locate the KOA near Henderson, NY I could not sort the campground list by KOA. Tech support told me to use the "Spell" button. Well in the built in unit the Spell button is not present. I was told not all "features" are available in the built in unit like the portables. A "Spell" button is a feature? The support person offered to walk me thru using the GPS within it's limited features. I have not taken them up on that offer yet. I am glad I did not pay for this feature in the motorhome it was included on the unit. I have the Garmin dezl 760LMT and it is far superior to the Good Sam product. When I mentioned this to the tech support person he hung up on me. I have used the Garmin for over a year in our last motorhome (Vista 35F) and also in our car. It's not perfect but head to head with the Rand/GoodSam it wins hands down.

Wanted to post my experience so someone considering ordering this $1500 option will check it out first to see if it meets your needs.
bz_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Took awhile to learn the differences from the GPS in our CRV and on our phones. Had Garmin before too. All work differently. Pros and Cons in each. Issue we had with the Infotainment Center is that after an hour of travel the GPS would develop "latency" issues. It would report data about 60 seconds after the fact. It also started giving warnings for curves that weren't there or for a right curve when a left was coming up. Performed an update of the software but haven't gone anywhere yet. Otherwise, I like the Infotainment center. The smartphone blue tooth is easy to use and speaker/microphone work well. Sirius XM is a plus too. I hate having to change stations as we travel. Amazing what things we now expect in/of our vehicles.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Took awhile to learn the differences from the GPS in our CRV and on our phones. Had Garmin before too. All work differently. Pros and Cons in each. Issue we had with the Infotainment Center is that after an hour of travel the GPS would develop "latency" issues. It would report data about 60 seconds after the fact. It also started giving warnings for curves that weren't there or for a right curve when a left was coming up. Performed an update of the software but haven't gone anywhere yet. Otherwise, I like the Infotainment center. The smartphone blue tooth is easy to use and speaker/microphone work well. Sirius XM is a plus too. I hate having to change stations as we travel. Amazing what things we now expect in/of our vehicles.

I've had the same problem with mine in our 2014 Journey. Curve warning when the road is straight as and arrow for miles. It was REALLY frustrating during our trip from Arizona to Alaska when we were in Canada. How did you update yours. Love the XM during the trip north. Only a few dead spots along the way and that's to be expected.

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rand McNally Support Dock Software

http://www.randmcnally.com/support/category/rv-gps

All the instructions are there. After getting the app on a PC or Mac, you just remove the SD card from the Infotainment Center and put it in your computer. Open the RMDock and follow the instructions. You can also download POI files to your unit from the dock.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Above is the reason I would never specifically order a unit with a built in GPS, if it happens to be the coach just don't use it if you don't like it. How do you return it if you are unhappy with it, you can"t. Best thing to do is use a portable GPS and turn off the in dash one get a pretty photo of something and tape it on the screen of the in dash one. I have been through several GPS's in the past 10 years they all have their little operating idiosyncrasies.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just looking through posts. As GG1 said. My pickup GPS does not have information on route 6 in PA, wants to reroute me through NY. Really, I mean it is only 3200 miles of road that was started in 1926, guess they have not had time to gather info. ...sigh...
Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Exactly GG1
I was trying to inform someone who might be considering this option solely for the GPS unit to thoroughly check it out. It's an expensive option and once you have it your limited in options. The other features in the Radio are good. To often you read post like "didn't you try it before purchase? " Most people would see it is a Good Sam RV GPS and assume it was the same as the portable and it is not.
I'm very thankful I did not have to pay for this option. (it was a screw-up on Winnebago's part. I ordered the standard radio and it was built with this one. So nothing out of my pocket.)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I don't know how this compares to the built-in Rand GPS unit, but I have a Rand 77xx and a Garmin RV 760. I didn't have any trouble locating Henderson and the KOA on either unit.

However both units show Henderson as a township of NY, and in the case of the 77xx, it is sorted down the list past other Hendersons in TN, TX & WV since it sorts them alphabetically. The RV 760 sorts by distance.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My first comment would be that built in GPS units always seem to be inferior to their stand alone sister unit. Second I did a side-by-side comparison of the stand alone Rand VS the Garmin and the Rand won hands down in almost every category. Third I just went to our next door neighbors coach who has the built in Rand and he punched in Henderson, NY and it came right up. It also had the Association Island RV resort (which is a KOA affiliate) in Henderson in the POI database.

Maybe you need to download the upgrades? He says he downloads upgrades about every 90 days and I usually download mine just before I leave so I can get the up to date construction data.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

In my coach, we have the built in, all in one, infotainment center with the GPS. No WiFi icon to update it. Still going thru manuals to try to update it. Watched the video on the RM Webb and got as far as looking for the WiFi icon. Good way to pass the rainy day while doing laundry and installing the bedroom VIP 211z. 😃

djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the timely thread! We are in the process of purchasing a new Itasca RV and had to decide regarding built-in GPS. We have a 10 year old car with built in nav which has become unreliable. The dealer said we could upgrade it with a dvd for around $300 (yikes!). On a recent cross country trip this spring we purchased the big screen Magellan from CW. It was horrible. It was supposed to be "pre-programmed" with Good Sam parks, dump sites, etc. Three times it took us to the middle of nowhere saying we were at our destination. Turned it off and plugged in a back-up, a three year old small screened Tom Tom which due to its free map upgrades worked flawlessly. Returned the Magellan to CW at the next opportunity. So it isn't just the built in ones. I'm ashamed to say how lazy and dependant I've become on these electronic gizmo's. Best of luck in solving your issue.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

cochise1949, Thanks for the post on updating the Rand McNally software. Downloaded the RMdock software took the SC card from the radio and put it in the computer and it worked great. Updated the software but will wait until tonight to down load the new map.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I am fond of saying that these rigs of ours are complex and every year you learn something new about the rig you have had for many years. As far as returning a GPS unit you don't like. That is true. However, how many other things in a new RV can you return? You can replace. Someone at a auto sound place could put a new radio/gps in any rig. Adapter bezels are wonderful. I've seen the Infotainment systems used on eBay. From wrecks or someone replaced one. Think I'll keep using the installed gear and see if I don't get better at it. If I am really bored someday, I may look into a replacement.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Update!
I attempted to update the software for a second time and this time it worked like a charm. First it asked me to register then recognized that there were updates available both base code and maps. These updates were a huge improvement. I now have a spell button in the Campground listing and a List button when entering a City and Henderson, town of, NY is listed. Why Rand tech support didn't suggest that an update would fix my issue or even ask what version I was on I don't know. Neither the email response nor the live person indicated that might be the case. At any rate I wanted to repost to let others know. It does have some nice features I will say, verbal speed warnings, Lets you choose between 2 different routes when it calculates and the ability to plan a route on the Good Sam website and download that trip plan to the GPS.

I believe GPS units are like cars some love Fords and Some love GM. To each his own.

cdrprn: The Infotainment system has some other nice features. XM, Bluetooth, etc.
You'll have to decide if the total unit is worth price. (use it as price negotiation point)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Well I'm leaning towards not getting it. the dealer wants $1200 to upgrade. I don't think the non-GPS unit has satellite radio though and I would miss that alot. Decisions......!
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Wifi on the Winebago Integrated GPS?

Has anyone had any success with the wifi on this unit? All the documentation claims it has wifi capability but I can't seem to find it on my unit. I've got the 2015 Itasca Suncruiser.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc454 View Post
In my coach, we have the built in, all in one, infotainment center with the GPS. No WiFi icon to update it. Still going thru manuals to try to update it. Watched the video on the RM Webb and got as far as looking for the WiFi icon. Good way to pass the rainy day while doing laundry and installing the bedroom VIP 211z. ��

jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

jrpend, ours has bluetooth but no wifi, were did you see it mentioned?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jrpend, ours has bluetooth but no wifi, were did you see it mentioned?
The documentation I have, referred me to the Rand-McNally website where I downloaded the manual for a RVND (7730?). It mentions that you get traffic alerts if you have wifi. I also think the dock software will work with wifi as well.

I guess I just worry a bit about "mission planning" on the road. I'm not too keen on pulling the memory card while moving.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

jrpend, here is a link to the owners manual for the radio.
http://riverparkinc.com/wp-content/u...ers-manual.pdf
Old 01-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Angry Infotainment System Problems

I have a 2015 Winnebago Aspect with the Infotainment System. The initial unit failed upon delivery, so another unit was installed. That unit's GPS would not work due to the wiring to the antenna. After picking it up from the dealership, the unit worked for about 20 minutes and now it is displaying "Application Error Application SXM.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down." Now the device shuts itself off, restarts itself automatically, plays the radio, then displays the error message, shuts itself off, restarts, etc., etc., etc. You can not turn it of with the control on the device itself or the remote control. You have to switch the battery settings to get it to turn off. Tried with both battery setting and have the same problem. Does this mean I need ANOTHER replacement?
rpstephenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps