Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Gas tank replace in Itasca Sunova?

Hi All, I have a 28ft. Itasca that I love. The only problem is it only has a 40 gal gas tank! Makes for alot of gas stops. Anyone know of anyone that replaces with larger gas tanks? It is gas not diesel & I am in CA.
Thanks
maw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Year, model, and floor plan are always important items but I would guess it highly unlikely to have room for a different tank as Winnebago custom designs tanks to fully use as much space as possible.
the chassis builder sells them the stripped chassis, including the gas tank and then Winn. designed other items like holding tanks to make use of most all space they can find.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The chassis is either F350 (40 gallon) or F450 (55 gallon) and it is a OEM Ford Chassis gas tank, not a Winnebago custom made tank.

I looked online and there is nothing plug and play to upgrade it I could see. If you have $$$ you could probally find a fabricator to do it, but it might not be as safe as the OEM one unless the fabricator is really safety oriented.

Also gasoline weights 6 lb per gallon so the additional gasoline is going to cut your cargo carrying capacity by that amount.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sunova, as mentioned in the thread title, is a Class A. So not an E350 or E450...

Sounds like something like a 2004 27C that was on a 15,000 pound GVWR P32 chassis. Some P32 did have larger tanks, but may not be room for one on a small unit.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I did not mean to say the gas tank is custom made, just that it comes with the stripped chassis and then Winnebago builds all the parts around the existing chassis parts.
And part of that custom build can be where they locate all the smaller stuff like drains, jacks and such.
In theory, it might be possible to remove enough of the added parts and redesign the whole thing underneath but I would never recommend that level of redo as rebuy would be so much easier and cheaper!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all for your responses. It has a Chevy workhorse engine and I am just looking to go a little farther than the 40 gal gas tank will take me. I was told in CA they can't change gas tanks any longer only diesel tanks. Was hoping someone knew of any company that still does gas tank changes.
maw20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, tank, itasca, gas, ace