Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My fridge works on gas, starts on shorepower......but switches back to gas

I have a 1999 Winnebago Brave. Fridge has always worked great. Went out today and noticed the readout on the electrical information center had an "E1" code. Had no idea what was going on. While walking around the outside, I noticed the fridge was running on gas. I went back inside, checked the refrigerator control panel, it was set on automatic, but was running on gas, even though it is plugged into shore power.

Didn't have a clue where to go next, so I shut the breakers off one at a time, noticed that when I shut the breaker to the refrigerator off, the error code went out. I turned the breaker back on and the fridge started working on electricity. went out a few hours later, code is back, fridge is back on gas.

Any ideas where to start looking???????

Thanks in advance,
Sonny
Sonny7thb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Spirit 26T

E1 error code means Reverse polarity (hot and neutral wires reversed)
RVWinnie25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

While this may be what the book says, I would not expect to see a revered power situation take very long to show up as an error. I would expect something more like a bang and flash and blowing breakers or fuse.
I might lean more toward something a little less dramatic but more expensive like a bad circuit board.
But that is just guessing and a check of the wiring is definitely needed.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Spirit 26T

I would invest in a simple $5 receptacle tester for the toolbox, to eliminate a properly wired circuit before replacing anything in the fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-Re...s%2C237&sr=8-8

Reverse polarity will never trip a circuit breaker, only a dead short or exceeding breaker capacity. Most appliances will run on reverse polarity, however the internal safety features to protect the appliance are bypassed. Which could by why the refrigerator switches to gas after a short period of time.
RVWinnie25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Fridge has always worked great.
Reason that I do not expect an outlet that is wired wrong. I assumed that the OP would mention any wiring changes they had made.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sooooo, after a lot of head scratching and using a meter, I think I have figured it out. The relay on the power shedding control board that feeds the refrigerator receptacle went bad. There was a second, unused relay, so I moved the receptacle power wire over to it. Fridge is working and have not seen the error code come back yet....
Old 06-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If your problem persists and turns out to be the mother board, don't panic. I had one crap out on me a few years ago, and found a replacement board from Dinosaur Electronics that worked great. It was less than $200 and went right in with a screwdriver.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Nor_boards.htm
Old 06-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
If your problem persists and turns out to be the mother board, don't panic. I had one crap out on me a few years ago, and found a replacement board from Dinosaur Electronics that worked great. It was less than $200 and went right in with a screwdriver.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Nor_boards.htm
Thanks YGoHome, thats good to know.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good job of chasing down a funky little thing that gives big problems.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny7thb View Post
Sooooo, after a lot of head scratching and using a meter, I think I have figured it out. The relay on the power shedding control board that feeds the refrigerator receptacle went bad. There was a second, unused relay, so I moved the receptacle power wire over to it. Fridge is working and have not seen the error code come back yet....
OK, you're an ace at diagnostics, IMO. What did you do to diagnose the relay so others less talented might benefit from how you did what you did?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
OK, you're an ace at diagnostics, IMO. What did you do to diagnose the relay so others less talented might benefit from how you did what you did?
You wouldn’t think I was an ace if you had been watching me .... I just started following the plug that feeds the refrigerator....backwards from the fridge.... Using a meter, power going in to the relay, but nothing coming out. It might actually be whatever gizmo triggers the relay, no way of knowing,
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny7thb View Post
You wouldn’t think I was an ace if you had been watching me .... I just started following the plug that feeds the refrigerator....backwards from the fridge.... Using a meter, power going in to the relay, but nothing coming out. It might actually be whatever gizmo triggers the relay, no way of knowing,
Where was this relay located? Any chance of a picture? Just curious.

Tags
fridge, gas, power, switch