Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replace gas oven with electric

We are full timers and spend 95% of our time hosting at state parks in the southeast. So we are always hooked to shore power. We are thinking about swapping the gas oven and range for electric oven and induction top. Any thoughts or advice?
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Only question I would have is the power connection, most ovens need 240V and your camper even if 50Amp does not really provide 240V power
Old 07-11-2022, 01:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Only question I would have is the power connection, most ovens need 240V and your camper even if 50Amp does not really provide 240V power
That isn’t something I considered. I haven’t investigated too much yet, but I did see a Furrion built in that operates on 110. I’m guessing there are more that one and of course have to check reviews and make sure a 110 would be sufficient.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
We are full timers and spend 95% of our time hosting at state parks in the southeast. So we are always hooked to shore power. We are thinking about swapping the gas oven and range for electric oven and induction top. Any thoughts or advice?
I would consider a microwave/ convection oven and leave the gas oven in place. Also, induction hotplates are cheap and can be used on a table out doors or indoors. Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be. The gas appliances are great during a power outage.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We us a Duxtop induction hot plate. It works well on a 15amp circuit. Whenever we don't have power and switch to the gas cooktop I am amazed at how much heat and humidity it creates.

As much as I prefer induction I would always want one gas burn for backup. Can you get a induction and gas cooktop? That would let you use a 15amp nearby circuit.

If you don't like the idea of a hot plate and you really don't think you'll ever want gas I'd get an induction cook top. I'll wager the cook top and range will want a 30A or larger circuit. If your cooktop isn't on a slide pulling the wire may not be that hard.

The convection microwave is a good compromise but definitely a compromise. We use ours a lot but you're not cooking a turkey in it.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Upon second thought I would replace my gas cooktop with an induction cook top and then add a propane quick connect for a backup gas hot plate.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our Winnie Navion has both a built-in induction cooktop and a single propane burner, no gas oven, and a convection-microwave. The RV has solar panels, 30A controller, lithium batteries, and a 2000w inverter-charger that can run all those appliances, but not the AC.

So, when we are dry camping in the Colorado mountains, where we don't need the AC and have more than enough sun, all those 120v electric appliances, as well as the 12v systems (lights, 12v fridge, water pump, furnace, Truma water heater, etc.) are available when needed. But due to their amp-load, the cooktop and microwave can't be run at the same time. And keep in mind that any pan or skillet used on the cooktop must be magnetic, which eliminates aluminum, copper, and most stainless steel.

However, we just returned from a month-long trip to the SE. Requiring AC 24/7 in that heat and humidity meant electrical hookups every night. We used the induction and conv-micro every day, but seldom used the gas burner--too much added heat and humidity.

My suggestion would be to replace the microwave with a convection-microwave first. Use it by itself long enough to really get comfortable with it and not have to rely on the gas oven. Then buy a portable induction cooktop for $80-100 and use it instead of the gas stove, which is what we did in our fifth wheel because we used it for seasonal FHU RV resort snowbirding south of I-10. If you are comfortable with both the conv-micro and induction "burner", then consider replacing the gas range with just a 2-3 burner induction cooktop. If you feel you still a conventional electric oven, build a shelf below the cooktop for an inexpensive toaster oven. That combination should allow you to cook everything but the Thanksgiving turkey. Like we did at Thanksgiving, you may have to settle for a turkey breast and not a 20# bird!

Tags
ace, gas, replace