Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2024, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner Custom Chassis Factory Service Center

We just got home after having the beast serviced in Gaffney, SC. Great experience!

We had the 75k/60-month service done with a couple of add-ons. They also found a missing elbow from the air compressor to the turbo. That explains the poor mileage and the sluggishness going uphill. The total came in under the estimate. We drove 320 miles home (I had to make a detour for work). It performed very well and got over 8 mpg.

I highly recommend the FCCSC in Gaffney.

Now about that recalled SCR...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Aaron,
That was a great find of the missing elbow. Only an experienced shop would have caught that. Please let us know the difference in the mileage pre-elbow versus post-elbow. I take it that a flexible pipe was kinked and restricting boost air flow, right?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 01-25-2024, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Aaron,
That was a great find of the missing elbow. Only an experienced shop would have caught that. Please let us know the difference in the mileage pre-elbow versus post-elbow. I take it that a flexible pipe was kinked and restricting boost air flow, right?
Thanks, Eagle5
They said the elbow and bracket were completely missing. I haven't dug into it to see what exactly was the issue. I did a short trip at Christmas and got 6.5mpg, this trip was just over 500 total and I clocked 8.2mpg. There was noticeably more power going up the hills. The invoice says "Replace Air Compressor intake tube boot bracket and P-clips." Apparently, it caused the intake manifold pressure to drop. We did get a check engine code on the way down to FCCSC, it self-cleared before we got there.

I have an appointment in mid-February to have the SCR recall taken care of at the Cummins Dealer in Spartanburg, SC. They were recommended by FCCSC. I haven't been able to get my local Cummins dealer to return phone calls. Spartanburg answered and gave me all the information I needed. They offered to get me in the middle of next week. However, I will be out of state for a couple of weeks for work. So February is fine.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
rightleftdyslexic

I have only had an opportunity to use FCCSC once as we normally return to FL from Nebraska using the southern route. The RV rode so well after they serviced it I named them the “Chassis Wisperer’s”
Joeantolik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OEM

I liked this thread, and I just have one thing to say about all the comments. I was an RV-er before that term was invented; we called it "camping" (1967). We used to wave at each other as we passed since there weren't that many of us. I've owned them, except for a class "B" and several of each type. All I want to say is I am an OEM fellow; not many of us are around these days with all the choices we now have. When I buy something, regardless of what it is, and something happens to it, I take it to the folks who made it. I was a Newmar/Spartan owner for years; I drove one for 15 years. I went to Charlotte, MI, and Nappanee, IN, every year for service. Then I traded for a Newmar that had a Freightliner chassis, so I started going to Gaffney once a year. I am treated well by them all, and I assume that's because I come to them. In fact, when I'd call for an appt the Spartan gal in MI would tell me what I needed to be done from her records. I am the same with everything in the rig, e.g., for jack problems, I talk to HWH, for Fridge problems, I call Whirlpool., etc. I truly believe that I get the best service, reasonably priced, and don't have a lot of issues. Stay with the OEMs guys, and I believe you'll be better off. Semper fi from an old (83) Marine who still travels the USA. Jim
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner, service