Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Basement air and heat while driving

Probably a dumb question, but I am assuming you can fun the heater while running down the highway with the generator running?
mphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, of course you can.

Welcome to the forum. You'll learn quickly that because we have members with all kinds of Winnebago RVs we absolutely need to have your RV's YEAR, MODEL and FLOORPLAN in every question you post on the forum. We don't know if you have a 16' 20 year old travel trailer or a brand new 40' motorhome. Many times we can look up info for you to answer your questions and guess what info we must have to do that? YEAR, MODEL and FLOORPLAN.

If I knew this info for instance I could look up and see if your RV has an "Coach Heat" option to heat the inside of your RV from the heat of your engine - many Winnebagos do have this option.

You see at the bottom of my post that I put the needed info into my forum Signature. Should you wish to do that, so you don't have to remember to do it all the time manually, here's how to do that:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	22
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	187950  
Old 11-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes, above 45°F you can run the genset to provide power to the RVP/ColemanMach basement heat pump. It will functions exactly the same as while parked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yes, above 45°F you can run the genset to provide power to the RVP/ColemanMach basement heat pump. It will functions exactly the same as while parked.
To clear up this statement just a bit. The generator does not have a low temperature safety, you can run it at any temp.

You can also turn on the heat pump at any temp, but it becomes much less efficient at colder temps, and at some point (usually around 40 degrees or so) it gets cold enough that it can no longer 'make' heat, and just continues to blow cold air. When it gets to that point you'll need to turn on the propane heater - assuming your coach has one.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It's going to work best if the MH has already been heated so the basement air can just maintain.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
To clear up this statement just a bit. The generator does not have a low temperature safety, you can run it at any temp.

You can also turn on the heat pump at any temp, but it becomes much less efficient at colder temps, and at some point (usually around 40 degrees or so) it gets cold enough that it can no longer 'make' heat, and just continues to blow cold air. When it gets to that point you'll need to turn on the propane heater - assuming your coach has one.
Ya, I cobbled that up. What I meant was below 45° the basement heat pump will not be efficient for heating.

BobC, that isn't true in my MH. Above 45° outside temperature, my 6535 basement heat pump will warm up the coach nicely, even while driving. Of course different RV's are insulated differently, thus have different results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The short answer is Yes, you can run the generator while driving and use anything it powers, including Air Conditioning in the Summer. As for propane heat there are many that are not comfortable with the propane being on while driving. I am not in that camp so I will let that decision be up to you.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
The short answer is Yes, you can run the generator while driving and use anything it powers, including Air Conditioning in the Summer. As for propane heat there are many that are not comfortable with the propane being on while driving. I am not in that camp so I will let that decision be up to you.
Although I don't always do it, all propane appliances should be "off" when filling up at the gas station, including a refrigerator.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat