Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement heat pump - no heat/blower

2004 Suncruiser with basement heat pump.

Electric heat was working this morning, it went off and gas furnace started soon thereafter. Outside temp was low 40's.

Can not get the electric heater to run, even after it warmed up.

Thermostat is new, and I can hear it click when I turn it to electric heat. The A/C works, as does the fan when turned to the on position.

The breakers are good and I disconnected from shore power and reconnected in case that might reset something.

I am hoping someone can give some ideas on where to start looking.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Two things come to mind: 1. The heat pump will stop working around 40F, give or take a little. It will then switch over to gas heat. 2. The heat pump will switch to gas heat if the thermostat set temperature is 6 to 8 degrees F higher than the room temperature. Also, as a guess, will the heat pump stop if the coils freeze up?

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Two things come to mind: 1. The heat pump will stop working around 40F, give or take a little. It will then switch over to gas heat. 2. The heat pump will switch to gas heat if the thermostat set temperature is 6 to 8 degrees F higher than the room temperature. Also, as a guess, will the heat pump stop if the coils freeze up?

Fran
Thanks Fran

I Have tried multiple times, it is 70 now and I still cant get it to run. I have tried 1 -2 and 3 degrees over room temp. It just won't start.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fran - the control boards are 12VDC so you might try cycling the house batteries off and back on...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

OK, tried resetting with both 120 and 12 v off. No change. Anyone else with any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Try wiggling the thermostat slide switch when it is in the electric heat position. You might also try removing the internal tstat fuse for a few minutes, although turning off house batteries should have done the same.

In the electric heat mode, all control is done by the pcboard in the basement unit once the tstat sends a signal down the W wire. You might try looking at the status lights on the pc board when unit is in heat mode.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The low voltage that powers the T'stat can be insulated with a tiny bit of corrosion on the wire connections on the rear of the T'stat. You might try removing each wire, cleaning the connection, then moving to the next one. Disconnect the power supply first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
2004 Suncruiser with basement heat pump.

Electric heat was working this morning, it went off and gas furnace started soon thereafter. Outside temp was low 40's.

Can not get the electric heater to run, even after it warmed up.

Thermostat is new, and I can hear it click when I turn it to electric heat. The A/C works, as does the fan when turned to the on position.

The breakers are good and I disconnected from shore power and reconnected in case that might reset something.

I am hoping someone can give some ideas on where to start looking.
I had a heat pump problem a couple years ago. I posted and received some help and solved my issue. You might read my thread here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...ml#post1779277 and read the link someone else posted within that thread. My problem and the other problem concerned half the heat pump working and the fix was a start capacitor. It's possible you have two out.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

You weren't 100% clear on the failure. Does absolutely nothing happen when you call for electric heat? Does the indoor or outdoor fan start? Does gas heat start?

If the AC works and your fan works, I have to be very suspicious of the thermostat. You can check the signals at the control board inside the AC unit to double check this. The wiring diagrams are all online.

Tags
heat, heat pump