Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2023, 05:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need advice about selling a Class A

Hi all,

It's been a while since we sold our last coach. RVTrader charged us $50 for as long as it was up for sale. We posted our current 2016 Journey this past weekend, and it was $249.95 for 8 weeks! That would have been fine and good, except that I spent the following 3 days fielding text messages from scammers. No real tire kickers. After that...crickets. It was very discouraging considering the price of the ad. Does anyone have advice on better places to advertise? We've also posted on Facebook and Craig's List. Thanks, in advance, for any recommendations. Lynn W.
Mark Winge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Much depends on what you want. We wanted a quick and easy deal after letting one set on a lot where the dealer sued it as a "clubhouse" and ad to promote traffic!
We wanted out and quick more than we wanted the last ultimate dollar, so we were very happy with the way a dealer in Florida worked it.
Want to haggle for the best sale and all that involves or just want reasonable and out?
We contacted, they sent us what info they needed and we agreed on a price, with the provision we had told them the truth, etc!!

they flew several folks into Texas to spread out and do the final on several RV. They showed up on time, looked over the general condition without picking any little faults, even when they spotted them. Pointed out one windshield nick and we agreed to drop $500 off or that.
My wife went to the bank for wire transfer and they drove away!
The biggest holdup was my bank didn't have anybody there to okay the large deal! Maybe check online for dealers of the same and see how it might work?
I hate buying but I hate selling even worse if they are the picky sort that wants to steal on every deal!
Seems every dealer in Texas thinks we are standing on the bridge to Matamoros!

Note? If not familiar with that bridge, it is where you can buy "real" diamonds for ten dollars! I swear on my mother's grave it's true!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We sold our 2004 Journey on RVTRADER. Actually, the 2nd RV we sold on RV Trader. The website is not the problem. Pricing and condition are everything. We tried a couple other venues and had the same issues with tire kickers and low ballers. We sold to a buyer that drove in from Colorado to see the RV. They made us a reasonable offer and we accepted. They drove it back to CO.. We had the RV listed at a more than fair price. We wanted to move it and it did. The buyer told us that they had looked at several RVs prior and were not as advertised when they went to see them.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I agree that the market is less than stellar right now; interest rates are way better on new rigs; and people are not always honest about the condition of the coach. Someone asked me for pictures today and I sent then 66 - every little nuance of the coach. I got some good advice from a commercial RV buyer today. He explained the market conditions and what they look for. He told me to look up the low retail price and ask $15,000 to $20,000 less. I knew we'd take a loss, but to ask $135,000 for a rig we purchased 18 months ago for $207,000 is just too painful to consider. Still, we're asking $150-$160 with a full year warranty, and we're more than willing to negotiate. Anyway, thanks again for responding. Lynn
Old 11-27-2023, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When I was looking, I always checked RVT.com. I’m not sure what their pricing is like, but as a buyer I thought they were as good or better than RV Trader when I searched for what I wanted. It would also be a good idea to post it on forums like this one and others. Finally, I would also list it on Craigslist in other regions. When I was looking to buy, I would look in other Craigslist cities, but it was tedious. As a seller, if you put your listing in multiple large cities around the country, you will have more exposure. The downside is you will hear from more scammers.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jim, Someone else here suggested Craig's List, so I posted it in San Antonio, Dallas and Houston since they are not that far away. Craig's List now charges $5.00 per ad, per month I believe, but that's far less expensive than RVTrader where we got NO interest for our $230 for 8 weeks. We did post here in the RVs for sale forum. Hopefully, we'll get some interest soon. I'm not expecting anything until after the holidays. I'll look at RVT as well. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We sold our 5th wheel a year ago through a local recommended consignment business In 2-weeks, no scammers no casual lookers inquiries. It was the most pain free and easy sale I have had and well worth the consignment haircut fee. Would go this route again in a heart beat.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The market has gone very soft. There is a glut of RVs on the market, and it is the off-season. We currently have two motorhomes at the moment. Eventually, we will sell the smaller one.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

www.rvpricingandappraisals.com
Facebook Group : RV PRICING

I know not everyone believes in rv appraisals, but in the Facebook group there’s often some interesting discussions. The owner, Dave Lester, responds to those with questions. He might have some good advice on sites to list and sell your rig as well as pricing.

Good luck.
Wilmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that info. I'll stop by.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

When I sold my 2015 Storm, I posted it on RV Trader, and Craigs List. In today's market I might also post it on Marketplace and even here on iRV2.

No mater where you post it, you are gonna get tire kickers, scammers and professional sellers wanting you to use them to sell your RV.

I have sold two RV's on RV Trader and found my Storm and Journey there as well.

Tags
advice, class a