Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Horizon 40A

Just purchased a new 2019 Horizon 40A. Really impressed with the new design and all the features. Mine came with the Cummins 450HP 8.9L engine. Wanted to see if any other Horizon 40A owners are on this forum and perhaps share "lessons learned" on issues as they arise (and they surely will).
Thanks,
Dave McClure, Burke, VA
drdavemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new rig! How about posting some pics for us to see?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Here are some pics of the new Horizon 40A we just purchased
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5b7921bd9d5a0b25ab410e7e.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	170226   Click image for larger version

Name:	unit_photo_20180823092227658365711.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	170227  

Name:	unit_photo_201808230922307993649948.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	170228   Click image for larger version

Name:	unit_photo_201808230922545293656191.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	170229  

Old 09-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Looks great! Very modern decor. Thanks for sharing.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Love the new interior. Unlike any other coach out there. Awesome, enjoy!!
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have had a 40A for about 7 months. We have some issues as I’m sure you will. If you have any questions let me know.
mntndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Anything significant worth noting?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Nothing fatal but several problems and some design issues. You can send me private messages if you like.
mntndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Wow, congrats Dave! What a beautiful coach. We're not in the market since ours is just one year old, but if we were that would be the RV for us.

I'll bet you'll have to give tours to everyone at each RV park you visit.

The only thing I'd not like about the new Horizon is that WBGO is still using the "I-Deal Rest" air mattress bed. We hated ours for comfort reasons and replaced it after a bed tilt pinched the Ethernet cable between the controller and the remote. Who wants a mattress that will have electrical failures????
Old 09-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Is this what you have?

Natural Reserve® by Ideal Rest®
Nature Meets Innovation
Getting a good night’s sleep shouldn’t be a challenge. The Ideal Rest Natural Reserve digital comfort control mattress makes it easier and more comfortable than ever. With the Ideal Rest Natural Reserve digital comfort control mattress, there is no need to compromise; you can adjust your individual firmness level with digital precision and slumber in superior comfort.

Enjoy comfort-enhancing features:
• A cotton and bamboo fiber cover panel that combines the natural comfort and wicking benefits of cotton with inherently mildew proof bamboo fibers to create an incredibly comfortable and hygienic sleep surface. As an added benefit, both materials are renewable, sustainable, and earth-friendly.
• A natural wool covered 2-in-1 duo firmness reversible insert with naturally antimicrobial latex on one side and body temperature activated Memory-Cell® on the other, allowing you to choose your desired comfort level.
• Virtually silent Freedom-Air™ inflator operation
• Dual digital hand controls offer 50 scientifically accurate comfort set points.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
Site Team

Yeah, that's exactly what we had. It's in our S&Bs attic right now. We replaced it with a "Leesa" CaliKing foam mattress and have been very happy. It's one of the many mattresses in a box that you can buy like the Casper, Purple, Tuft & Needle, etc. They come compressed and rolled in a box, with free shipping and 100-day free trial no questions return policy.

We had problems getting the I-Deal Rest set where we were comfortable and then every time you changed altitude you'd have to reset it all the time. Sometimes it would reset itself and be fully aired up or fully empty.

Then one day at bedtime "my side" remote was dark and it was almost empty of air due to an altitude change. So, I slept on the sofa. The next day I discovered that the cable from the remote to the pump was pinched in the bed tilt from travel the day before. To my surprise it was an Ethernet cable with 6 tiny wires. I opened the shielding up and trimmed and soldered all 6 wires back together (the remote didn't wake until the 5th wire was fixed) and all was back to normal - uncomfortable.

There are lots of complaints here about this mattress - but there are also folks that love it. I have to believe that a real Sleep Number RV mattress must be better somehow because so many love theirs. But the "I-Deal Rest" was less than ideal for us.

Here's the Leesa:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	170238  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the update and gory details! We have a Sleep Number mattress at home that airs up/down. They all leak air over time. Sometimes within 24 hours. Will give this Ideal-Rest a try and report back
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

That is a beautiful coach. Enjoy!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavemcc View Post
Just purchased a new 2019 Horizon 40A. Really impressed with the new design and all the features. Mine came with the Cummins 450HP 8.9L engine. Wanted to see if any other Horizon 40A owners are on this forum and perhaps share "lessons learned" on issues as they arise (and they surely will).
Thanks,
Dave McClure, Burke, VA
Congratulations Dave. But the big question is....
How is the overall quality control of the build? Are you developing a long punch list of things to be put in right working order?

Your post about the bed is interesting. Do you sell this mattress or represent it in some manner? Our 2010 version of the Ideal-Rest is like sleeping on a rock. No air adjustment will work. And, it can get very hot sleeping on it.
Rick
Old 09-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your post about the bed is interesting. Do you sell this mattress or represent it in some manner? Our 2010 version of the Ideal-Rest is like sleeping on a rock. No air adjustment will work. And, it can get very hot sleeping on it.
Rick
If you're asking me (creativepart) about the Leesa Mattress, no, I have no connection to any one at Leesa or any other company for that matter.

Some things to keep in mind if you change out the I-Deal Rest mattress that came in your RV - it is a custom size. It's the width of a California King sized mattress but the length of a Standard King sized mattress.

You could have one custom made for this size, but what we did was purchase a California King. It's the perfect width to fit the platform, but it's 2" too long. People deal with this problem a couple of ways. Some people take the cover off of the new mattress and using an electric knife cut 2" off of the length and then sew the cover back on. That works great, but obviously would void the mattresses "100 night warranty" to return the mattress if you don't like it.

We took another approach. On our Adventurer there was a bolster attached to the wall behind the mattress. It was about 2 to 3 inches thick. It's purpose was to fill a gap between the mattress and the headboard so your pillow didn't fall down into that space. Looking at it, I could see it was a piece of foam, covered in light cloth and attached to a piece of luan plywood about 1/8" thick and screwed on to the headboard wall with 4 little wood screws.

I unscrewed it and it came off in all one piece. Voila! the California King mattress now fit perfectly.

It seemed to have no impact on the bed tilt or the operation of the bed system. So, it's worked fine. When tilting the bed to put it away for travel the mattress cover does rub slightly on the headboard but on our RV that didn't hang up or create any problems. We've used it dozens of times since making the change and all is good.

I saved the I-Deal Rest mattress parts (lots of parts) in our attic at home and saved the bolster, etc. So, if we want to put everything back we can no problem.

The Leesa is fairly firm. And sitting on a solid plywood base doesn't help soften it up. But my wife loves it and I'm pretty much used to it. Oh, the Leesa and really all the other foam mattresses out there are all approved for an "adjustable" foundation. So, the tilting action doesn't hurt the mattress at all. And the weight of the Leesa seems to be pretty close to the weight of the I-Deal Rest.

Sorry to go on and on, just wanted to provide the complete info to folks.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you're asking me (creativepart) about the Leesa Mattress, no, I have no connection to any one at Leesa or any other company for that matter.

Some things to keep in mind if you change out the I-Deal Rest mattress that came in your RV - it is a custom size. It's the width of a California King sized mattress but the length of a Standard King sized mattress.

You could have one custom made for this size, but what we did was purchase a California King. It's the perfect width to fit the platform, but it's 2" too long. People deal with this problem a couple of ways. Some people take the cover off of the new mattress and using an electric knife cut 2" off of the length and then sew the cover back on. That works great, but obviously would void the mattresses "100 night warranty" to return the mattress if you don't like it.

We took another approach. On our Adventurer there was a bolster attached to the wall behind the mattress. It was about 2 to 3 inches thick. It's purpose was to fill a gap between the mattress and the headboard so your pillow didn't fall down into that space. Looking at it, I could see it was a piece of foam, covered in light cloth and attached to a piece of luan plywood about 1/8" thick and screwed on to the headboard wall with 4 little wood screws.

I unscrewed it and it came off in all one piece. Voila! the California King mattress now fit perfectly.

It seemed to have no impact on the bed tilt or the operation of the bed system. So, it's worked fine. When tilting the bed to put it away for travel the mattress cover does rub slightly on the headboard but on our RV that didn't hang up or create any problems. We've used it dozens of times since making the change and all is good.

I saved the I-Deal Rest mattress parts (lots of parts) in our attic at home and saved the bolster, etc. So, if we want to put everything back we can no problem.

The Leesa is fairly firm. And sitting on a solid plywood base doesn't help soften it up. But my wife loves it and I'm pretty much used to it. Oh, the Leesa and really all the other foam mattresses out there are all approved for an "adjustable" foundation. So, the tilting action doesn't hurt the mattress at all. And the weight of the Leesa seems to be pretty close to the weight of the I-Deal Rest.

Sorry to go on and on, just wanted to provide the complete info to folks.
Looking for a good, comfortable standard size queen. No mods needed. This is another reason we bought this model coach. Have read too many problems with finding the RV size mattress. Even my parents had a problem with that many years ago. Nope, not me! Just a good, cool sleeping queen mattress is what I am looking for.
Longevity of these in a box mattresses seems to be a problem. What do you say about this?
Rick
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Longevity of these in a box mattresses seems to be a problem. What do you say about this?
No idea. I guess I’ll find out over the long haul.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavemcc View Post
Thanks,
Dave McClure, Burke, VA
Congratulations Dave! Those are beautiful coaches! I looked at the 40A at the grand national rally last month (there must have been 50 people in there!). I was hoping to see the 42Q tag model, but none there.

Just to note - The Horizon is basically the same Freightliner XCL chassis and ISL Cummins that have been in the Tour/Ellipse and Journey/Meridian for years, so you should be able to reach out to any of those owners to get help on the chassis if you need it. The Horizon 42Q even went to the side radiator XCL chassis. You have some of the best slide mechanisms out there for your front slides, and I'm sure with those big windows and LED lights you look like a spaceship in the park with us "traditionals"

Enjoy! PS - try that Ideal Rest first before you condemn it. We like ours and are glad we have it. They are now made by Innomax in Denver. The older ones were actually sleep number. Both brands are special spec for Winnebago.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Our punch list was about 12 items; nothing major other than water was not going to the washinging machine.
We love the Ideal-Rest so far; no problems but we love FIRM, HARD mattresses so we turn it up to the highest level
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

And yes, our camping friends referred to our coach as the Starship Enterprise! Everyone loves it. Totally different look. Drives like a dream by the way with the Freightliner Maxxum Chassis, 450HP Cummins 8L Turbo Charged, 6 speed Allison 3000 trans