Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Hello creativepart. We have a 2020 40A and HATE this mattress. Wondering if you are still happy with the new one u installed. Also, did u add any covering to the wall behind the bed after removing the 2" of foam etc?
Thanks We too LOVE this unit.
Sheila
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
Site Team

Yes, we're still happy. After about 8 months of use we felt it was too firm. We thought on a spring foundation it would be perfect, but on a hard slab of plywood it was too firm.

We thought about getting a Froli system or slat board system to soften up the plywood but didn't want to make the bed 3 or 4' higher. The old "air" mattress was still in our attic and I remembered that the top layer of that was a 3" memory foam top. It has just zipped off of the air mattress when we took it apart. So, we put that on the mattress to see how that helped and it was so comfortable we've left it on there.

We still have not put anything on the wall to replace that 2" foam bumper pad, though pillows do like to drop into that space at night some. I've looked at taking the covering off of the foam bumper and using a knife to cut the thickness down to 1" and put it back together and on the wall. But it's not that big of a problem.

We left the wall behind the bed blank, but decided to put some vinyl faux wood planking on the wall. That's worked great - but I picked a weathered gray faux barnwood coloring and honestly, the wall paper was light grey and you can't really tell the difference between the wall and the faux barn wood planking.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all that info. I'm pretty crafty so am now thinking after reading ur post that I could easily cover a 1" thick piece of foam and put that up there. Really great info!!
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Hi I'm new to this forum but we recently purchased the 2019 Horizon 40a from a private party in FL. Aside from the bugs, that won't go away - it is nice. In the bedroom, by the headboard - something punched from behind the headboard towards the outside and spidered the exterior, right below the Horizon Logo. Have you actually taken the head board out? Might you have any idea what might have done this?
justjoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Love that coach! My wife and I have been checking them out for 3 years. We currently have a 2011 40U Itasca, so getting ready to move forward. Most of my family is in the Fairfax area, so next time I am in town, will look you up and see how its doing.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
Love that coach! My wife and I have been checking them out for 3 years. We currently have a 2011 40U Itasca, so getting ready to move forward. Most of my family is in the Fairfax area, so next time I am in town, will look you up and see how its doing.
We love our 40U too.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the front sway bar bushings. Easy to do if your handy.
Upgrades:
Blue Ox TrueCenter. This is no linger available but any good steering assist unit is a great addition to your driving experience. Relieves fatigue.
Air Tabs: These help reduce wind effect. I know they are helping in wind and truck passing. I can definitely feel the difference with them.
Magnum Inverter: I changed the original remote to the ME-RC50 (https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...-p/me-rc50.htm) This gives better charging control for your battery type and size and allows for reduced shore power current when on 30A or generator.

Thermostat: My thermostat was on its way out. Through the forum I found Micro-Air MicroTouch thermostats. I have the 354. With the WiFi and Bluetooth connections I have remote monitoring and control. The features are too numerous to list. It is a sweet addition to the coach. The Micro Air support is fantastic. The engineer helped me gain a 3rd zone. This helps with controlling the temperature and noise.

PM me if you are interested in setting your coach up with 3 zones. This will work with the Coleman ZC thermostat.
Hope the 40U continues to be a happy place for you.

Merry Christmas--- Rick
Old 12-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Rick, yes we love ours also. One of our challenges is finding another coach with the interior space. we typically travel with a group of 3-5 other coaches, and there is no replacement for our interiors, especially in inclement weather! Love the additions that you have made, and would love to talk. I already have 3 AC/heaters/zones (i think), so a little confussed about that one. I am having some issues with the charging/converter, so really interested in hearing how you have addressed that issue. Not sure where you are located, we are in the Scottsdale, AZ area. My email is [Removed Private Info] and my cell is [Removed Private Info] , love to connect.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #48
Site Team

This discussion of the 2019 Horizon brings up a good topic.

What is to happen to this iteration of the Horizon? It was an Oregon Winnebago build only. Now, that entire factory and all of it's molds and jigs is closed and "gone."

The interior parts of the Horizon are totally unique. Same for much of the exterior caps. Are owners of the 2019/2020 Horizon stranded for repairs and replacements back at the factory in Iowa???

What about resale? Is it like buying a Country Coach or other discontinued RV Brand?

The failed move from Iowa to Oregon has created what is now the long-lasting destruction of Class A diesel motorhome manufacturing from Winnebago - one of the industry's first and leading Class A Diesel manufacturers.

Going on 3-years ago Winnebago showed and announced a NEW Journey motorhome to be built in Iowa and yet has not delivered any to real customers. People that put money down more than 2-years ago have had no word about when they can expect to receive a new Journey. They too are stranded.

All of this is tied up in that failed move to Oregon that saw the birth of the new Horizon. But what about the future? For the Horizon and other diesel Class A motorhomes from Winnebago?????

What an ill conceived mess.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

I'm finding "ill coneived mess" pretty well describes many of the things I now deal with on lots of levels!
I'm thinking that we may never recover from the failure of many of our norms. I recently had to make a call to a firm I have dealt with for more than twenty years and always admired but suddenly find they can do very little and get all the details right.
The person who was supposed to be taking care of some of my finances answered but apparently now works remote from Starbucks or a bar!
The background language was off the charts!
Not only could he not hear and listen carefully, he totally screwed up my RMD!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
Rick, yes we love ours also. One of our challenges is finding another coach with the interior space. we typically travel with a group of 3-5 other coaches, and there is no replacement for our interiors, especially in inclement weather! Love the additions that you have made, and would love to talk. I already have 3 AC/heaters/zones (i think), so a little confussed about that one. I am having some issues with the charging/converter, so really interested in hearing how you have addressed that issue. Not sure where you are located, we are in the Scottsdale, AZ area. My email is [Removed Private Info] and my cell is [Removed Private Info] , love to connect.
If you still have the original build options, you have 2 zones. Zone 1 is the 2 front units and zone 2 is the bedroom. When zone 1 operates you have both units blasting all that air and noise at one time.

The Coleman ZC thermostat standard with this coach will handle up to four zones.

Our units are set up as follows:
The front unit controller is set to zone 1 and has the temper sensor, located under the control center door in the galley, connected to it. The middle unit is also set to zone 1 but where the temperature sensor leads go there is a jumper. A timing device is connected to the available timing pins on the controller and mounted on the control board housing.

The rear unit controller is set to zone 2 and the sensor is located between the light switches and fan switch in the bedroom.

By setting the front unit control board zone option jumper to zone 3 (four choices are available) you have created a 3rd heat pump zone. This zone will not run the gas furnace. Only zone 1 controls the front furnace and zone 2 controls the rear furnace. The new zone 3 uses the internal thermostat sensor.

Your thermostat will detect the digital ID of each zone and display it when selecting the zone.

With the Micro Air thermostat you have much greater control over your HVAC. For instance, last night it was unusually warm here. We like it cool when we go to bed. I am now able to set my zone of choice to cool to my desired temperature and also heat to a lower desired temperature. So, when the temperature dropped below my 66* cool point, as the coach cooled off, the heat pump could warm things back to the 64* set point. I use zone 3 for this because it is furthest from the bedroom. Less noise.

I hope my explanation is not too detailed but still informative.

Rick
Old 12-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This discussion of the 2019 Horizon brings up a good topic.

What is to happen to this iteration of the Horizon? It was an Oregon Winnebago build only. Now, that entire factory and all of it's molds and jigs is closed and "gone."

The interior parts of the Horizon are totally unique. Same for much of the exterior caps. Are owners of the 2019/2020 Horizon stranded for repairs and replacements back at the factory in Iowa???

What about resale? Is it like buying a Country Coach or other discontinued RV Brand?

The failed move from Iowa to Oregon has created what is now the long-lasting destruction of Class A diesel motorhome manufacturing from Winnebago - one of the industry's first and leading Class A Diesel manufacturers.

Going on 3-years ago Winnebago showed and announced a NEW Journey motorhome to be built in Iowa and yet has not delivered any to real customers. People that put money down more than 2-years ago have had no word about when they can expect to receive a new Journey. They too are stranded.

All of this is tied up in that failed move to Oregon that saw the birth of the new Horizon. But what about the future? For the Horizon and other diesel Class A motorhomes from Winnebago?????

What an ill conceived mess.
My suggestion is to contact the CEO of Winnebago directly with this concern. It is a very valid one for those with this coach in question and any made in that facility. According to Winnebago all of the parts they manufacture are always available for as long as we, the consumer, require them. Vendor products? No guarantees there.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:02 PM   #52
Winnebago Watcher

In the market for a 2019 Horizon 42q and haven't seen too many reviews.
Would you buy another Horizon?
Are there components I should look at specifically.
How is your overall experience?
Thank You in advance.
Robert
RJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote