Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Happy Days in NJ

Talking First 2007 Winnebago VIEW, now 2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 25RKS 5th wheel.

We started out about 4-5 years ago with a used 2007 Winnebago VIEW (Mercedes diesel chassis) which we sold last Nov 2017. Never had a problem: the thing ran great, excellent gas mileage BUT the sub-model we had (VIEW came in 3 sub-models) didn't have a bed... we started hating having to make the bed on the pull-out couch every night (we eventually "graduated" to sleeping bags - NOT BAD actually!). So, we sold it hoping to get something else. Within 1 hour of the new owners driving away, the transmission failed! Of course we couldn't let them eat the cost - a total of $6080 ! We were invited to their cruise wedding a few months later! Back to the RV story... I planned ahead and bought a Ford F150 capable of towing a replacement 5th wheel trailer. Not much to think about as the truck came with a 3.5 liter EcoBoost Engine (375 hp, 480 ft-lbs torque, proven 18-22 mpg, 11700 lbs towing capacity) with a 10-speed transmission. The trailer we decided on is smallish (27.5 feet or so), but perfect for us 2 and our dog "Chip", the Winnebago Minnie Plus 25RKS 5th wheel in cherry red! I opted to install by myself a B&W underbed Gooseneck hitch bolted to the the truck frame mid-bed, roughly over the rear wheels. To make this setup work, I added a removable 35 lb (!!) Andersen 5th wheel to gooseneck converter top-side hitch framework. Great setup as the top-side parts are easily removed and I easily get my truck bed back as flat as can be for my other uses. (Thanks to a kind, knowledgeable Jayco salesperson who clued me in on this amazing setup. I recommend it to anyone... and, this set-up is rated for 22,000 lb towing.) We haven't gone a long trip yet - but I have to report that as was told to me many times by 5th wheel campers, the setup is very stable and it was nearly a "breeze" during the 2+ hour drive when I brought the trailer home. Will report after our first outing.
Pier Guidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new rig! Let's see some pics!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We went with the factory recommendations on our unit. We did not want to void any warranty on the frame. We use the Goose Box that was installed on our Voyage lite. Had everything put in writing just in case there is any problem down the road. Had not heard of your set up. We did not go with what the dealer said but went with the factory reps. A little leary from horror stories we have heard about this set up bending frames. I plan to look up the Anderson hitch, had not heard of it before your post. Thanks for sharing.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Did you install any suspension upgrades? I have the same truck and trailer on order.
RVWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago