Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
Winne Owner Vista 31be

2016 Winne Vista 31be - Stairs stuck in open poistion

Ive read many of the threads associated to these stairs. What I don't see is where the specific fuse is located for these stairs. I've stolled through every manual......I don't see the light turning on so I believe (for the moment) that my fuse or some relay is accountable.

I've had them sticking before and they have been lubed. Also used bumping the motor at times to unstick. Thats not it at the moment with no light coming on underneath. I had to drive home yeasterday with them open....ugg.

I am heading out on thursday and will have to disassemble the arm to re-track I guess.....

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7173.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	187500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7177.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	187501  

Name:	IMG_7180.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	187502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7179.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	187503  

Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bummer! I normally have to fight the steps to keep them IN when I want to work on the batteries under the steps at the door!

So a check of the breakers may be a good one as they tend to be almost paranoid on not letting me walk out without them!

Do you know of a panel , often outside just behind the drivers seat that has a label about mode solenoid etc on it and a bunch of breakers inside the door flap?

Click this for better view but I think this panel is somewhere on your RV, just not sure of location??

Name:	step power.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	187504

This has three popout type breakers to check that they are not sticking out?

If you peek under and behind them, there are the solenoid and battery disconnect relay which are so often a problem on other failures like batteries. Good to know where they are for any future question of that sort.

But a second point of common trouble for steps is the small magnetic switch that is often down near the floor on the side of the door. It is in a spot that gives broken/knocked off, etc way too often. It is what tells the system if door is open or closed, so worth a look there as maybe spotting something easy.
Two wires need to be good as the magnet on the door makes the contacts inside move when we open/close the door.
If this switch or the magnet are knocked off, the system may think the door is still open and it won't pull the steps in! Being paranoid, they sure don't want to be blamed if you fall out because the steps are closed.
So they keep the step out---even if you want it closed!

No light does lean toward no power??

Good luck on the chase!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:45 AM   #3
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Hi Richard;

I did go through all the fuse panels however, I will double check the ones circled. Also, not sure how to get to the solinoids behind the panel? remove?

For the door magnet, Ive been aware of that based on the trheads. Ive tried using a heavy duty magnet to move the internal magnet mounted.....or jog it free shoul dit be stuck...nothing.

Stay tuned....
Old 10-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am not too inclined to blame the door switch if it is not looking bad. Just an easy check!
That step has a complicated little brain that I've never figured fully as it does so many things to keep me safe---even if it drives me crazy!
One I found is the inside is a tiny "reed" switch that has something almost like a hair to move and make the contact. So too much magnet can warp the reed!
One way to check the reed is opening closing is to take the one wire off. That makes it like the door is open or closed ( not sure which?) but then if you touch that wire to the other, it is like closing the contacts. So you are faking it like the door is opening/closing!
If the steps don't care, the switch is likely okay and some other problem.
Mine let me know by banging my shins!
There are a variety of plugs at the step that one might check to make sure they have not gotten knocked loose?

Yes, to get real access to the solenoid and battery disconnect, I had to take the breaker panel loose. Real pain as the screw holding mine was too close to the RV side and could not be backed out far enough with a even an angle screwdriver. I had to get it started and then use vise grips to turn it the rest of the way. Took forever!
I went back with hex head screws that I could work with a wrench from the side! But I never had to go there again!
I found other place where I could test the electrical better, like at the batteries !
Old 10-09-2023, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Kwikee steps are always powered/hot. The controller changes motor direction by switching the ground. Make sure both ground wire connections to the frame are clean and tight.
Then there is the magnetic door switch, the covers just pop off, remove, clean and reinstall both wires on the wall-mounted switch.
Those are the most common causes of the motor not running. This covers everything else:
Kwikee Products Service Training Manual BTW, Kwikee steps is owned by Lippert Components, you'll find the rest of the Kwikee information there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Hi Ray, good to know. I've used a larger stronger magnet manually and can hear the internal magnet move up and down. I also found that same specification which is really good to have for isolating the problem. I'm on a trip now and removed the motor for the sake of using the steps.... Next week is the diagnosis week.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:59 AM   #7
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Hi Richard; I have removed the motor in order to use the steps. On a trip for the moment but bought a couple of 6v batteries and tested the motor...works fine, fuses' look good....I did not have time to remove the panel...which the screws may be difficult to access like you said. Next week I hope to diagnose this further....I will also double check the door switch with Ray's input of a cover to remove...I used a larger magnet and can hear it move up and down.....
Old 10-14-2023, 05:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I think of the door switch as a simple open/close type reed switch. One way to test if it is the door switch is to remove one wire and then make contact from one wire to the other and see if the step drive reacts!
Since open and closed circuit is all you want, touching the wires together is about as simple as it gets!
But it all takes time and when we can get a "round tuit"?
Old 10-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lette View Post
Hi Richard; I have removed the motor in order to use the steps. On a trip for the moment but bought a couple of 6v batteries and tested the motor...works fine, fuses' look good....I did not have time to remove the panel...which the screws may be difficult to access like you said. Next week I hope to diagnose this further....I will also double check the door switch with Ray's input of a cover to remove...I used a larger magnet and can hear it move up and down.....
You heard the reed switch moving so now you only need VOM test leads on those 2 wire terminals on the reed switch to determine if the switch is actually opening and closing. (continuity/ no continuity.

Next is following the troubleshooting tree for all the electronics in play.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

With the good info from the manual as posted in number 5, I can't imagine why anybody would be looking for info on how to test things?

We can all figure out different "workarounds" but why? Can it be any more clear than this?

Click to see this example better and then figure out which model you have and they lead you the rest of the way!
Our "word salads" are no where nearly as clear, concise, and accurate as the info from the folks who build the steps!

Name:	steps.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	187582
Old 10-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Well, the final diagnosis is the "Controller". This controller failed and for some reason failed with the stairs extended. Everything has been greased, motor put back in and is operating like new again!!!

Now on to winterization...cleaning...and planning new camping adventures for next year!!!