Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Question 2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Cable open

This weekend I was attempting to connect the campsite "Cable" tv to my Winnie and found out that my wiring is "open". In other words, I will not receive campsite signal to any TV due to an open in my cable tv wiring. How I found out was connecting direct to the TV's and would get

I will of course try to diagnose from the bulkhead area but my question is; Will the Winneibago service centers diagnose and/or run new cables if necessary?

Also, wiring diagram I find is not really telling me how the full RV is connected and where the splitter/junction is?

Any pointers is great!
Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have somewhat near the same RV and found a couple items which had me worried for a bit.
So do you have a switch on a faceplate up over the passenger seat for turning the input from antenna amp to other? The tiny little switch next to the green light? I found a splitter behind a cover where that switch is mounted in mine.
For drawings, have you found this group for coax:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2016/000177027.pdf
Takes some sorting on exactly which options you have and missing the location for things but perhaps just knowing there is one to look for might help?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I have somewhat near the same RV and found a couple items which had me worried for a bit.
So do you have a switch on a faceplate up over the passenger seat for turning the input from antenna amp to other? The tiny little switch next to the green light? I found a splitter behind a cover where that switch is mounted in mine.
For drawings, have you found this group for coax:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2016/000177027.pdf
Takes some sorting on exactly which options you have and missing the location for things but perhaps just knowing there is one to look for might help?
Recently, I did find the wall plate switch above the Studio loft and it actually has a little led and toggle switch. I did toggle it! Maybe this controlled or disabled our cable connection??? These are the drawings I seen at the Winnie site but really struggled trying to determine how it works....SO I now see that 2 inputs go into the switchbox and with the switch you will only have 1 output to all TVs!!! All right, need to toggle and see my results tomorrow with Antenna ... one more issue after this ...but I'm really hoping this is what we ran into this weekend!! Thank you for this Richard....
Old 08-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Splitter is located in top right compartment over passenger seat. Remove the back part of compartment. Has the same problem and it was the splitter causing it.
dbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, easy thing to miss and not really as handy as I might like but switching from light on to light off does change input as the light on also means the roof top antenna amp is turned on. Do you have a knob on the ceiling for rotating the antenna and has a series of blue lights? That is controlled by the "hidden" switch! But there is also a splitter behind the panel that switch is mounted on and it might be disconnected but I'm leaning more toward the switch being the solution.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, easy thing to miss and not really as handy as I might like but switching from light on to light off does change input as the light on also means the roof top antenna amp is turned on. Do you have a knob on the ceiling for rotating the antenna and has a series of blue lights? That is controlled by the "hidden" switch! But there is also a splitter behind the panel that switch is mounted on and it might be disconnected but I'm leaning more toward the switch being the solution.
Yes, I noticed the amp goes on and off with the wall plate switch....I am now feeling your point is correct. I never knew anything about having to toggle a switch for Cable inpu vs antenna input!! Not intuitive as for a location....Winnebago can do better!!!

I purchased a Klein Tool ( VDV512-101) Explorer 2 Coax Tester kit now but confident that you found my problem...the toggle of a switch hidden above the passenger seat. Thank you so much for your guidance and input Richard....Good heads up on the splitter as well dbord....I'll input a signal with the switch now in the other position to see....thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbord View Post
Splitter is located in top right compartment over passenger seat. Remove the back part of compartment. Has the same problem and it was the splitter causing it.
Do you mean the metal plate? I removed the plate with he led/switch and found a circuit board with 4 cable connections. I put that back and noticed a metal plate to the left of the wall plate with 4 screws. This plate?

Problem I have is testing the cable with an actual cable signal....I have the tester but won’t drive through circuit board or splitter.

I do believe Richard is correct but was going to locate the receiver part of my cable test at the junction.....to validate...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
TWO more thingS that ARE bothering me are;

1 - HDMI socket to the left of the main tv. Is that for DVD To main tv or outside tv? It’s garbled on the main tv....haven’t tried outdoor tv

2 - the dvd/cd player in the dash shows on the main tv...and sits ther...no menu or remote??

I’ve searched the manuals but really no detail?

Any help on these....greatly appreciated!

Tags
winnebago