Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2024, 02:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 Journey with obsolete jacks

I have a 2012 Journey 40' with malfunctioning jacks. They are Power Gear and the pump and/or controller is bad and we can't seem to find replacement parts. Looks like I need a whole new jack system. That is unless any of you have any recommendations. Thanks
vcruiser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without more details, I would first want to make sure there was something major wrong before going into replacement.
A diagnostic of pump or control being bad is so vague that I would first have to ask what is really wrong as that indicates one of two major parts and doesn't really tell us which?
Is the pump running when the controls turns it on or is the control at fault?

If that is the actual report from a repair shop, I would question them much deeper or get a second look!

There are so many small parts that can go wrong that just jumping to change for the whole system is pretty rare.
Have you contacted Lippert for parts and advise?
https://support.lci1.com/power-gear-hydraulic-leveling
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Power Gear is owned by Lippert Industries. Start here to view more: https://support.lci1.com/power-gear-...eveling-system
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:16 PM   #4
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

I have a 2016 Journey and my levelers quit working in August of 2021. They would go to the ground but not lift the coach. I spent some money on a couple of dump valves, a new controller, and a new pump motor to no avail. Also replaced the chassis batteries because they power the pump on my coach. And I checked to make sure that there was plenty of power to the pump and no ground issues. After trying to fix it on my own, I took it to a dealer and was advised, after they conferred with Lippert, that the pump was bad. They promised to replace the pump but failed to order a pump after a month so I decided to take it to a hydraulic shop to have it tested. It turns out that it was indeed the pump; it bench tested at 1,500 psi and needed to test at least 1,800 psi to lift the coach. If I remember correctly (I'm not currently looking at my notes) the pump was rated at over 2,000 psi. Lippert wanted almost $3,000 for a new pump, but I found one online (new surplus) for $1,200. I replaced it myself and it works fine. I was at the 2022 Grand National Rally and while there talked to a fellow who had a coach just like mine (same year and everything) and learned that he also had to replace his pump. I don't know if that is a common problem with PowerGear pumps, but I was told by the folks at the hydraulic shop that moisture in the hydraulic fluid can damage this sort of pump. I am going to change the hydraulic fluid every two years from now on to reduce the potential for moisture damage.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, journey