Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Obsolete Rand McNally GPS Config File

Like a lot of you I have an in-dash Rand McNally GPS that has been abandoned by the publisher. Every time I start my motorhome, the display says that my maps are over a year old, and I have to hit a button to acknowledge. I suspect the maps will forever be over a year old since they won't be updated again.

I remember seeing instructions on how to delete a config file from the the SD card to stop this nag warning but I can't find it anywhere.

Any help?
DrumLum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

As I recall, the file was "navi.cfg" found in the Xite card -> Internal Storage -> Navi -> Bin folder.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Proceed with caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
As I recall, the file was "navi.cfg" found in the Xite card -> Internal Storage -> Navi -> Bin folder.
I'd be a bit apprehensive about messing around with the RM SD card.

While my RM GPS was still working I had a series of calls with RM tech support asking how I could make a backup of the GPS SD card in case of failure (I spent a lot of years in IT and understand the value of backups). We went around and around until they finally admitted it can't be done, perhaps at least not easily. Somehow they tie a card identifier of some sort (serial number? they wouldn't tell me) to the unit and you can't simply duplicate the card.

I did a few updates to the card using the RM dock software and eventually the unit would no longer read the card. I had to get a replacement card to get it working again. For some reason they (Xite) waived the $250 fee for a replacement card; your mileage may vary.

So it's definitely a proceed at your own risk situation.

The Xite infotainment system in our ERA is a disaster in many ways. I'd like to find a replacement that is plug and play with the existing cabling, particularly for the rear camera.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Team

When you delete the Navi.cfg file on the card (on your computer) the next time the system loads it recreates the file and the notice goes away.

You can back up the card, but you can’t back up the license info contained on the card. Well not without creating an image file backup with a special program that creates a disk image .iso file.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. I found the file at:

SD Card > Navi > Bin > Navi.cfg

Rather than delete the file completely, I renamed the file to xxnavi.xxcfg so I can get the file back in case of some unexpected problem in the future.

I'll let you know if this doesn't work as expected when I get a chance to try it.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
Site Team

As long as you have your card in the house and in the computer. You should start the RAND DOCK software and see if you have any updates.

The last time I did this in January there were 150+ files in the update that made a few changes to the GUI on the Xite system in the RV. There were no maps updated at that time.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Site Team

I had a few map updates in March, but I can’t remember the last time I updated the maps, so they could have been waiting for me for awhile. I agree that it’s good to check occasionally.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reminder. I remember checking for updates this summer and then in December before we headed south, but I thought RM Dock told me I was up-to-date.

I checked just now and there are 5+Gb of updates to download and install!

Maybe they released something in January or I previously misread their clunky interface.

I don't use the in-dash RM GPS much anyway, since I think the maps on my Garmin RV 660 GPS are much better. I just wanted to get rid of their out-of-date nag.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumLum View Post
I checked just now and there are 5+Gb of updates to download and install!

Maybe they released something in January or I previously misread their clunky interface.
I gotta check this out - the last updates I found in January were nowhere near that large.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

To be fair, I could have missed intermittent updates.

I had read that Rand McNally had stopped updating their maps, so I had kind of given up on them. I periodically checked my SD card with RM Dock anyway, 'just in case'. I'm pretty sure the message was always "You are up to date" and assumed "Up to Date" meant "that's the last you will get from us".

That's why I was surprised the update was so large this time.

I could have messed up and seen that the GUI was up-to-date while there were map updates yet to be downloaded, although looking at RM Dock with a newly updated SD card, I'm not sure that's the case.

Who knows.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Nope, I just got an email from Rand that new maps are available - but perhaps for the last time:

I'm not exactly sure what this email means. I think it means there is one more FREE update but that after that they will charge for maps - but they don't come out and say that. Maybe they are saying no more map updates after this at all. What do you think?
Dear Rand McNally RV GPS Customers,

Well, we've almost reached our destination.

Your in-dash RV navigation software is eligible for a map update, which we're very happy to get to you in advance of the summer travel season. Unfortunately, as RV navigation updates have become more data-heavy and technically complex over the years, this will be the last update for your device. Please see below for installation instructions.

We will continue to support your RV navigation software via the Rand McNally Dock, which will allow you to download and install the updated map data. Additional services via the Dock will remain operational, such as the Repair function. For additional support, please visit our Support Center.

We've enjoyed traveling with you and wish you much happiness down the road.

Sincerely,
Rand McNally
Old 04-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just opened my email and saw the same message. I was a little excited until I read this sentence:
Unfortunately, as RV navigation updates have become more data-heavy and technically complex over the years, this will be the last update for your device.
I took this to mean "We aren't smart enough to do what everyone in the industry does by providing quality, updated maps and routing. We will just keep your money instead".

Looks like this is really the end of the road for map and routing updates.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

The meaning of this email was the program software will not be updated but the database will continue to be updated through the Dock Program.

We will continue to support your RV navigation software via the Rand McNally Dock, which will allow you to download and install the updated map data. Additional services via the Dock will remain operational, such as the Repair function. For additional support, please visit our Support Center.
PostmaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaRon View Post
The meaning of this email was the program software will not be updated but the database will continue to be updated through the Dock Program.

I take that to mean for this map update.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

It seems clear that what RM is saying is the dock software will continue to work, and you can install the current (last) map update (and any prior map updates), but there will be no further map updates.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #16
Site Team

That’s my read. But it is not very clear writing. That’s for sure.

It they were going to keep providing new maps (other than this update) there would be no need for the email.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #17
2017 View 24G

Somehow my card got erased. Can someone share A phone or website address so I can purchase a new license and at least get the last update? Thanks
Foggyfred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:16 PM   #18
Site Team

I use RAND’s trip planning website “TripMaker” and transfer the route to my Xite via the Dock app. I wonder if that will continue. There’s no mention of that in the email.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #19
2002 Journey WPK36GD

If you feel relatively savvy with computers you might try Win32 Disk Imager on SourceForge. I use this often to read SD Cards, change the script files and re-write the code to a new SD card. This should allow you to read a card. This program is designed to write a raw disk image to a removable device or backup a removable device to a raw image file. It is very useful for embedded development, namely Arm development projects (Android, Ubuntu on Arm, etc). Anyone is free to branch and modify this program. Patches are always welcome. I don't know if it will work for you but I use it almost daily for Raspberry Pi development. https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggyfred2 View Post
Somehow my card got erased. Can someone share A phone or website address so I can purchase a new license and at least get the last update? Thanks
You call Riverpark tech support.

https://riverparkinc.com/support/

Good luck. Hope that gets sorted.

Tags
config, gps, rand mcnally