Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2023, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Journey dashboard lights blinking

I have a '04 Journey that hasn't been run for two years and I am attempting to get it on the road again. I would periodically start the engine and let it run in place for 10-15 minutes. Always removed the chassis batteries from the coach and would put them on trickle charge. About two months ago, after hooking up the batteries, had no lights on the dash nor would the headlights turn on. Took the batteries to a local battery warehouse where they failed the load test. Bought new batteries that were more CCA then the previous ones and installed in tray. When attempting to start now all of the dashboards lights blink on and off when the ignition is in the auxiliary position. Engine won't turn over just the blinking dashboard lights. Took the batteries back to the place I bought them and they tested ok. Now, I'm not sure what the problem could be.
thatsracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would first think that this is likely to be two seperate problems and both are in what I call the chassis section, rather than the RV coach group. The difference is that we get lots of wiring info on the coach parts that Winnebago installs on the stripped chassis they buy and little to none on the chassis as they consider that work by somebody else!
Coach wiring here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

So to get good wiring info on the chassis, it takes a chase from that builder like Freightliner and those folks are often hard to get that specific type info. They hold it tight to keep their service folks in work!

But I might also want to start with the easier stuff that may be less complex than an intermitant light issue.

Since cranking is a more basic thing, I would first look at it and maybe the tough stuff clears on the way?
Maybe a cable or wire got left off and dropped down behind the battery rack when changing batteries? Odd times we do shoot ourself in the foot, so I jump to looking there first.

Maybe trace out the big battery cables to make sure both hot and ground are connected and clean, then move to checking that the power gets all the way from battery to the starter solenoid.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I appreciate the info. I downloaded the diagram and will look it over. I forgot to mention that this is a workhorse chassis.
thatsracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Another small bit that might help is the color code that they added on the battery cables. Problem is that it tends to get removed/lost/gone over time, so may no longer be there on the cables, but helps if there?
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	186238
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, journey, light, lights