Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #1

I have a 10 watt solar panel on the roof of our motorhome, and there is an LED light that lights up on my inside panel when "batteries are being charged".

Just recently, the LED light inside blinks during direct sun and bright outside cloudy days instead of staying on constantly (like I think it used to) during the daylight hours.

SHOULD IT BE BLINKING DURING THE SUNLIGHT, or do I go back to my dealer with this problem?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #2

I have a 10 watt solar panel on the roof of our motorhome, and there is an LED light that lights up on my inside panel when "batteries are being charged".

Just recently, the LED light inside blinks during direct sun and bright outside cloudy days instead of staying on constantly (like I think it used to) during the daylight hours.

SHOULD IT BE BLINKING DURING THE SUNLIGHT, or do I go back to my dealer with this problem?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I am not an expert by any stretch, but have several solar panels and have never noticed blinking. If you are not seeing a dealer soon, give their service dept. a call.
Solebury Tom
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ours burns steadily and I have never noticed it blinking. Don't have a clue why yours would be.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you are talking about the controler,my red light will blink when batteries are fully chargerd

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tcloud7:
If you are talking about the controler,my red light will blink when batteries are fully chargerd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...inside on my panel with all the talk indicaters and air controls....it blinks continuous during bright sunlight....is this normal?

deleted duplicate post...Bob
Old 08-14-2006, 04:20 AM   #7

Anyone else have this going on?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My light is on solid only when the solar panel is providing a constant charge to the batteries. When it "blinks" it may be charging intermitently. This might mean, for whatever reason, the batteries are not accepting much of a charge.

I tried an experiment that, for me, proved this point. I ran the batteries down to about 50%. The light stayed solid for over 2 days. I didn't notice when it started blinking until the 4th day. We have a lot of sunshine in South Florida.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #9

Thanks Gary....

Im wondering if the blinking light (during bright sunshine) is an indication of fully charged batteries.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I would doubt that it means a fully charged batteries because after driving for 6 hours, I would assume the batteries to be fully charged, and my LED is still solid red.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Dang, mine has NEVER lit Steve
Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

SHOULD IT BE BLINKING DURING THE SUNLIGHT, or do I go back to my dealer with this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is always on solid when the sun is out and never seems to reach full charge.

The manual for my 2001 Adventurer goes as follows:

"The 10-watt roof mounted solar charger panel uses the sun to help keep your batteries charged. A charger indicator light is located on the One Place monitor panel.

The light will glow red when the solar panel is charging the coach batteries. The greater the rate of charge, the brighter the light. When the batteries reach full charge the light will gradually dim, then darken.

Note: The solar battery charger is not intended to make the coach battery system "mainenance free." The solar panel will not completely compensate for continuous low amperage draw from components such as LP gas leak detector, the clock in the dash radio and the radio station memory circuit for example.

Although the solar panel system can help to extend battery life, the coach shoreline should be plugged in routinely to "top off" the batteries. We also reccommend following regular battery inspection and maintenance, especially in the cold weather."

In my situation I may have a bad battery or charger because according to the solar charger light I never reach full charge even when on shore power.

I will be contacting the dealer because I questioned the condition of the betteries during the PDI three weeks ago and will see if I can get LazyDays to take care of this before the 30 day used coach warranty expires.

Regards,
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #13

Ugg.....had a feeling that this was not normal....just another warrantee item to go on my list for return to the dealer in early Winter....uggg!!!!

The list is getting LONG!!!