Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2022, 06:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnie Hike lost all power

Hi all,

We recently (about a month ago) purchased a new Winnebago Hike 172BH. We’ve had it in our driveway where we’ve plugged it in to shore power a few times through a 30A to 12A adapter to run things while we’ve been getting ready to go on the road. Everything has gone smoothly and we’ve loved it so far.

We took it on our first camping trip this week to a nearby campground and everything went off without a hitch. Stayed three nights connected to shore power with total success. We got everything put away and closed up with zero issue. However, when we arrived back home yesterday we have lost all power inside the trailer. Typically our control panel, slide out, lights, etc. will all work on battery power, but now nothing will work inside on battery or shore power. When we first got in the control panel worked for a couple of seconds before cutting off completely. We are still able to operate the stabilizers and power jack and the battery shows a full charge.

We have checked all breakers and fuses inside the camper and see no issues. My first thought is a loose or faulty connection somewhere? But I know very little about electrical so I’m really not sure and don’t know where to look next.

Any and all help or ideas would be appreciated. We purchased the camper from Lazydays and when we called them to make a service appointment, they told us the next appointment wasn’t until December, so we’re hoping to make some determinations on our own. We have a full fall of travel planned and would really prefer not to have to cancel it all 😞
Karwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm so sorry this happened! I don't have a ton of experience either. My first call would be to our tech line, this is a number we got from the dealer. Maybe your dealer has one? Or Winnebago has one? The tech line helped us when our water pump was acting wonky when we first got our hike (back in April).
mandalkscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Humm, the most obvious thing would be that when you closed everything up for heading home that you turned off a battery disconnect. But if you did that you’d know it and the Control Panel you mention wouldn’t have worked for a short while.

Some Winnebago towables have a master power resettable fuse under the A-Frame. But I don’t know if the Hike does or not.

Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will chime in.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

While on shore power, do your 120VAC items like the microwave and televisions work? I know you said nothing works but I was unclear about those specific items.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When faced with a whole bunch of stuff, it is really hard to sort it all, so I find the best way is to look at only one item that is clear enough for me to sort.

So you have two parts to the power on any RV, there is the 110AC power that comes from the cord or generator and then there is the 12volt DC which is from batteries or the charge from a converter using the 110 AC.

I suggest looking at the simpler one first!
Do you have a place to connect to an AC outlet? If you have a meter, check for power at the outlet or plug something like a lamp in to make sure the outlet is good.
If outlet is good, plug in and see if any of the outlets inside work. Also check the microwave as it uses 110AC.
At some point you will find something is not working and that means the problem is between where you find the fault and the last place things were good! Don't make life hard by trying to sort it all at once!

The advantage of looking at the microwave first is that it will not have any cutoffs, GFCI, etc. to make it difficult.
When looking at outlets, be aware that there may be one which has a GFCI button to reset before the others downstream will work!

Once you get the 110AC working, the converter which charges the battery can begin to work and the rest of the problems may go away! But there is no one single problem that will make both AC and Dc groups fail at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110ac.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	184096  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power