Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost all power

Hello All,

I need some help. I broke something and I need to know where to start looking. I hope I did not blow my charge controller/inverter again. On 9/17/19 I tried to start my motorhome, but the chassis batteries were low. I replaced my boost switch earlier this year. I was able to get it to turn over slowly by holding down the switch, but it was still to slow to start. Then I did something stupid. I started the generator. I was thinking I could get the battery charger to help start the motor. So I held down the boost switch with the generator running and turned the ignition key. The generator stopped immediately and I lost all power. I lost all power to the house. I was not able to get dash lights to come on so I think I lost all power to the chassis as well. I have those batteries at home charging now and will put them back in on Saturday morning to see if I lost power to the chassis or if the batteries were just that low.

Here is what I have done. I know I am not getting power to the house. My house battery bank is charged and I have power at my battery shut off. I have searched all over the charger/inverter (Xantrex Freedom 3000) for a fuse or reset switch. I found my 12 volt circuit breakers in the back by the washer dryer, but none appear to be tripped. I looked in the front above the generator, but I have not started pulling fuses yet. I have not looked at the 120 system yet. I just remembered there is a circuit breaker in the bedroom for the inverter/charger. I will check that today.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suspect that both your coach batteries and chassis batteries are getting old and tired...

When you had the boost switch down AND tried to start you pulled down the DC volts on BOTH coach and chassis batteries to something well under 9 or 10 volts, and this caused an under-voltage condition on your generator control board causing the generator to shut off.

Coach batteries as they age and get sulfated can't deliver high amps without substantial voltage drop so the limited ability to be able to use BOOST switch to help start your coach may just it's way of telling you it's time to upgrade batteries.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Power restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I suspect that both your coach batteries and chassis batteries are getting old and tired...

When you had the boost switch down AND tried to start you pulled down the DC volts on BOTH coach and chassis batteries to something well under 9 or 10 volts, and this caused an under-voltage condition on your generator control board causing the generator to shut off.

Coach batteries as they age and get sulfated can't deliver high amps without substantial voltage drop so the limited ability to be able to use BOOST switch to help start your coach may just it's way of telling you it's time to upgrade batteries.

Good luck.
Thanks Randy. Power is restored. I was able to charge the chassis batteries up and load them back into the RV. When I lost all power to both house and Chassis I did not see the problem at first. I grabbed a new multimeter and went to test everything but was unable to figure out how the multimeter worked. Was getting huge numbers until I adjusted the range. Now I was able to find a blown 300 amp fuse on the house side and power is now restored.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

When do you turn on the “Inverter”
Navioniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A lot of people miss the main fuse and or the 12 volt breaker to the house batteries that is many times behind the cover where the relays are located. If the house batteries are low you have to allow the generator to run at least 15 to 30 minutes before trying to use the boost function to start the engine.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
Thanks Randy. Power is restored. I was able to charge the chassis batteries up and load them back into the RV. When I lost all power to both house and Chassis I did not see the problem at first. I grabbed a new multimeter and went to test everything but was unable to figure out how the multimeter worked. Was getting huge numbers until I adjusted the range. Now I was able to find a blown 300 amp fuse on the house side and power is now restored.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I just saw this posting. If I may offer my 2 cents... IMHO your inverter is not the most reliable and has a history of problems. My advise is to upgrade to a Magnum PSW inverter. Also, take a good look at your charging circuit. Make certain the solonides are operating properly. The bank needing charging should automatically switch to the charger. You have a good wiring schematic available in the Winnebago resources. Did you ever determine what caused the fuse to fail?

Rick

Tags
power