Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What switch am I not seeing?

Getting ready to go out on our first trip in our 2004 Suncruiser 38R. I was in it today checking things, and decided to see if the TV ( the monster Sony behind the co-pilot seat) would pick up any stations. It won't power on. I turned on the AUX Batt switch. I turned on the Engine/House battery switch to House. There is an inverter installed over the co-pilot head and I turned it to ON. The engine was running, no genset power, no shore power. I started checking 110v outlets and none were working.
What am I missing? Why don't I have 110v power with the engine running and the Inverter on?
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Might have to hit the reset button on the inverter??
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure the TV is on the inverter?

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 1st question would be.... Did it work previously?

Cause... In my older 1995 HR... there was a cutoff switch tied to the ignition switch.. I guess it was a safety thing... they didn't want people watching TV while driving down the road.. Again, not sure if it's the case with yours.. but I would try the TV without the engine running and the key out of the ignition..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

GFI tripped?
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

According to the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach the inverter is a 300 amp unit which only powers the front and rear TVs along with the VCR/DVD player.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chris is correct, you need to connect to shore power or your generator to power your tv.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You can't have the engine running and to overhead TV on at the same time.

If you shut off the engine the TV will turn on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the same thing on my Motorhome. The TV will not come on with engine running and will shut off when I start the engine. It's a safety interlock so you can't watch tv while driving.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

FYI...The TV in the 38R is in a cabinet behind the co-pilot seat, so it is impossible to see while driving. So, everyone thinks it will come on if I just turn off the engine? I'll go check it out.
Thanks everyone.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

One more vote for turning the ignition off and gen. or shore power on.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
FYI...The TV in the 38R is in a cabinet behind the co-pilot seat, so it is impossible to see while driving. So, everyone thinks it will come on if I just turn off the engine? I'll go check it out.
Thanks everyone.
Greatscot
I doubt that Winnebago would wire a TV so it doesn't come on when the ignition is on if it can't be seen by the driver!
I would suspect a tripped breaker on, (or passably a blown fuse in), the inverter itself... or a tripped GFCI receptacle, (which BTW might not be the receptacle into which the TV cord is plugged).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

First, make sure the TV works on genset or shore power. Second, turn on the inverter and test each outlet to see which ones are powered by it. Not all will be. That should tell you just what, where or if there is a problem. Just my suggestion.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

You might run atv an extension cord to the TV from a power source you know works - that will confirm the TV is good (or not good). If good do as mentioned above and reset all the GFI's. That's probably what I would do. Or connect a lamp to the power source for the TV to confirm no power at that outlet.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Getting ready to go out on our first trip in our 2004 Suncruiser 38R. I was in it today checking things, and decided to see if the TV ( the monster Sony behind the co-pilot seat) would pick up any stations. It won't power on. I turned on the AUX Batt switch. I turned on the Engine/House battery switch to House. There is an inverter installed over the co-pilot head and I turned it to ON. The engine was running, no genset power, no shore power. I started checking 110v outlets and none were working.
What am I missing? Why don't I have 110v power with the engine running and the Inverter on?
I highlighted the problem, Turn the engine OFF and try again.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
What am I missing? Why don't I have 110v power with the engine running and the Inverter on
?
Am I the only one that is confused? Everything the OP posted leaves me wondering if he is trying all the wrong things. I'm not trying to offend here, but the "AUX Batt switch" is a momentary switch which connects the house and chassis batteries together to start the motor. It is normally off, and must be HELD in to energize that circuit. The "Engine/ House battery switch" is usually on the dash and determines which battery source powers the dash RADIO. On most floor plans the inverter is mounted in an outside compartment close to the house batteries (usually under the entry steps) and not "over the co-pilot head". I'm thinking that is the TV selector box. Running the engine has nothing to do with powering the inverter, which is fed from the house batteries.

I think cranking the genset or plugging in to shore power will solve his problem with the mid-ship TV, but I doubt any of these other things will do that. Hoping this opinion helps, Ed
Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Chris is correct, you need to connect to shore power or your generator to power your tv.
Easyrider
That's not necessarily true.
In many RVs the TVs can also be operated with 120VAC supplied by the inverter, (no shore or genset power required).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm not trying to offend here, but the "AUX Batt switch" is a momentary switch which connects the house and chassis batteries together to start the motor. It is normally off, and must be HELD in to energize that circuit. The "Engine/ House battery switch" is usually on the dash and determines which battery source powers the dash RADIO. On most floor plans the inverter is mounted in an outside compartment close to the house batteries (usually under the entry steps) and not "over the co-pilot head"
On older Winnebagos, it is exactly as the OP stated. The inverter is in the overhead cabinet, there is an AUX Battery switch on the dash that connects/disconnects the House Batteries and the battery boost momentary switch is labeled "Battery Boost"
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Am I the only one that is confused? Everything the OP posted leaves me wondering if he is trying all the wrong things. I'm not trying to offend here, but the "AUX Batt switch" is a momentary switch which connects the house and chassis batteries together to start the motor. It is normally off, and must be HELD in to energize that circuit. The "Engine/ House battery switch" is usually on the dash and determines which battery source powers the dash RADIO. On most floor plans the inverter is mounted in an outside compartment close to the house batteries (usually under the entry steps) and not "over the co-pilot head". I'm thinking that is the TV selector box. Running the engine has nothing to do with powering the inverter, which is fed from the house batteries.

I think cranking the genset or plugging in to shore power will solve his problem with the mid-ship TV, but I doubt any of these other things will do that. Hoping this opinion helps, Ed
edgray, just wondering if all of your 5000+ posts are as condescending as this?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

No. And I was not trying to be insulting either. Please accept my apology if my attempt to help you was offensive Ed