Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery boost relay

I WANT TO LOCATE THE RELAY FOR THE BATTEY BOOST SWITCH. I WANT TO INSTALL A TRIK-L-START TO MAINTAIN MY ENGINE BATTERY. I UNDERSTAND BOTH HOUSE & ENGINE BATTERY CABLES WILL BE CLOSE TO THIS RELAY. I HAVE A 2005 VECTRA.
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005VECTRA View Post
I WANT TO LOCATE THE RELAY FOR THE BATTEY BOOST SWITCH. I WANT TO INSTALL A TRIK-L-START TO MAINTAIN MY ENGINE BATTERY. I UNDERSTAND BOTH HOUSE & ENGINE BATTERY CABLES WILL BE CLOSE TO THIS RELAY. I HAVE A 2005 VECTRA.

2005VECTRA,
First off, as an "edicut" tid bit of info here, there's no need to use ALL CAPITOL letters. Usually, it means that someone is perturbed and is "Yelling" or, really emphasizing something. No biggie, just some info. Now, as for your battery boost solenoid, if yours is anything like ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT, it's most likely located in the electrical compartment that houses the inverter and shore power cord. Again, if it's like ours, it will be in behind a panel, that's in the upper right corner, inside that compartment.

A few screws might have to be removed to gain access to the two main solenoids in that location. The other one is the Coach battery shut down solenoid. Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. In the picture below, you'll see my inverter (at least the one I used to have, I now have a Magnum). You'll also see the panel I'm talking about, (at least the bottom half of it) directly above that inverter. It has a couple of switches and, a phone jack etc. on the face of it. The solenoids in question are behind those switches etc.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure your system doesn't do it already. Put a volt meter on your chassis batteries then on your house batteries with no shore power connected. Then do the same with shore power connected. If your chassis battery voltage goes up its charging them.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

2005VECTRA: FIRE_UP is giving you good direction. In my 2005 the metal box that he describes is not as deep and is mounted on the right side of the electric bay, but is still above the converter (or where your converter used to be). Remove the cover plate and you will find the relay you are asking about.

I installed my Trick-L-Charge in the battery compartment, however. Connected it directly to the Chassis Battery battery posts. Might be an easier way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Just a thought,

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Are you sure your system doesn't do it already. Put a volt meter on your chassis batteries then on your house batteries with no shore power connected. Then do the same with shore power connected. If your chassis battery voltage goes up its charging them.

Jim

Jim,
Typically, Winnebago and Itasca did not do anything about chassis battery charging while connected on shore power until around, early '06 or so. It took them that long to comprehend that owners encountered many-a dead coaches after leaving them either connected or not connected to shore power, while in storage or, just not being used for an extended period of time.
So, that's when they started installing the Trik-L-Start right from the factory. Now, on coaches like mine and others that have the solenoids in question located in the area described, I'm not sure where they installed the Trik-L-Start.

But, on coaches like say, the Meridian etc. of the '06 era, they put that Trik-L-Start just above the generator, in the front of the coach which, is also where the two large solenoids, are also located. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's the Winnebago Service Tip on installing the Trik-L-Start in our coaches: 2006-04 Trik-L-Start - (Note that the LSLProducts link in the pdf is out of date--it's now a '.net' rather than a '.com' address: Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer)

Here's a picture from my 2005 Vectra of the box in question--it's the black box in the upper right containing the light switch, cable connection, etc. The inside face of the box comes off, exposing the relays.

Btw, when I installed my Trik-L-Start I actually put it in the left front compartment in front of the front wheel. I attached it to the outside of the door of the electrical box in that compartment, leading the wires through a small drilled hole with a rubber grommet into the box where I had easy access to the main busses for both coach and chassis batteries. It's been working great ever since I installed it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Chris I would like more info on your placing of Trik-L-Start in left front bay area.
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005VECTRA View Post
Chris I would like more info on your placing of Trik-L-Start in left front bay area.
Here's a picture of the mounted Trik-L-Start (with the compartment door open):

And here's a picture inside the electrical box so you can see the wiring (the blue, yellow, and black wires coming in from the upper right):

Old 12-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Just got a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T, want to install a Trik-L-Start. I called Winnebago and said my rig did not charge chassis battery when plugged into shore power.

My thought was to install in battery compartment under step and hook directly to batteries and ground to frame. My question is that the area is open below, will this do any harm to the Trik-L-Start?
captbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbru View Post
Just got a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T, want to install a Trik-L-Start. I called Winnebago and said my rig did not charge chassis battery when plugged into shore power.

My thought was to install in battery compartment under step and hook directly to batteries and ground to frame. My question is that the area is open below, will this do any harm to the Trik-L-Start?
The Trik-L-Start is a completely sealed unit, so it should be fine.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply. Seeing as this is a new install would it better to install the Amp-L-Start?
captbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbru View Post
Thanks for the reply. Seeing as this is a new install would it better to install the Amp-L-Start?
I don't know the answer to that--the Trik-L-Start has worked fine for me.

Tags
battery