Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2023, 09:13 PM   #101
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sounds like a neat job!
FWIW, this is how Winnebago wires the MPX latching relay, but lighted switch must be used.
We have arrived at our destination.* I feel like a Kid that had to travel on Christmas with a new toy, but can't wait to get back home to play with it.
I saw the latching relay design, but I could never understand why they have Momentary Switches?* Don't you have to hold those to keep the contact?* I know you shouldn't so I should just say, I don't know how they work.* I do know we have a Momentary switch on the Drain pump and it is a PITA.* You have to hold it

Speaking of Drain Pump, I have found where I can order a Custom Laser ON/OFF Switch. I am thinking about getting one that says SINK DRAIN and using the Logo for their bilge pump with RED leds. Our existing switch says Drain Pump, but if gonna pay more for the switch, I think SINK DRAIN is clearer.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:21 PM   #102
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
My 2011 Vista 36D came with a second switch in the bathroom.
They don't make them like they use to

In 2011, you could never have told me I would own an RV. We rented those 38' Forest River and I am still trembling from the white knuckles.

I am gonna make a prediction. After some use, we will prolly not use the Main hallway switch to turn on the water pump. Just use the LED to let us know we left it ON. Exception would be to use kitchen sink and pump is OFF, just turn around and turn it ON.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-22-2023, 11:16 AM   #103
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We have arrived at our destination.* I feel like a Kid that had to travel on Christmas with a new toy, but can't wait to get back home to play with it.
I saw the latching relay design, but I could never understand why they have Momentary Switches?* Don't you have to hold those to keep the contact?* I know you shouldn't so I should just say, I don't know how they work.* I do know we have a Momentary switch on the Drain pump and it is a PITA.* You have to hold it

Speaking of Drain Pump, I have found where I can order a Custom Laser ON/OFF Switch. I am thinking about getting one that says SINK DRAIN and using the Logo for their bilge pump with RED leds. Our existing switch says Drain Pump, but if gonna pay more for the switch, I think SINK DRAIN is clearer.

Apparently not; I have 2 paddle switches and 1 Carling rocker switch(waterproof) in the wet bay that are either off or on instead of momentary switches. I think the ground is switched instead of positve inside the latching relay..
Anyway, I''m glad you have a working circuit and are happy with the way it functions.
Concerning your drain switch project; I saw somewhere a company made custom switches with whatever you want on them but can't find it again. It might have been Carling?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #104
Winnebago Camper

This is what I did. I have 3 water switches, kitchen, bathroom and outside shower. I have all what I need. But, to conserve water, I got another water pump for the commode, and such out of the gray tank to flush to the black tank. The switch is on the back wall on top of the commode. Also added 3led lights that come on when the switch is on, for 2 reasons, one at night for enough light to see without blinding and 2 to remind me it is on. This accomplishing 2 things, users Grey water instead of good fresh water to flush and lowers the gray tank when boondocking. It already has some soap in the water so it does help keep the commode clean. I like our setup. So, you can only flush using my new setup. I disconnected our existing water pump on the commode and put a close nipped on the water connection. There is no way for the water to mix with fresh water, as it is 2 separate stations.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #105
Winnebago Master

Mission Complete

We arrived home today, and 1st thing I did after eating was to get my Dremel tools. My wife has a label maker so I marked all of the wires so anyone can see what was done with no schematic. Even so and what is nice is that all of the schematics are still wired per the OEM drawings. I have additionally for reference my diagram in post #69 that show the new wires to the new switch.

Turns out we did not need the back plate for new switch, but my wife thought the backplate was similar in look and size so I installed it. As a bonus, I caught a wooded support board on the back of the paneling so the two top screws on back plate are in the paneling and the hard wood It is firm and not moving anywhere.

When the pump is on it has a very nice night glow in the bathroom. I have attached pictures with Pump on and Pump off. The other pictures just show where and how I labeled the wires.

Again thanks all, because I have better than I expected because I never envisioned doing this job without a latching relay, without cutting and splicing into OEM wiring, or with a blue light switch that says Water Pump with Faucet logo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230924_195848.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	187399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230924_195834.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	187400  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230924_183819.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	187401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230924_185136.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	187402  

Old 09-24-2023, 08:01 PM   #106
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
This is what I did. I have 3 water switches, kitchen, bathroom and outside shower. I have all what I need. But, to conserve water, I got another water pump for the commode, and such out of the gray tank to flush to the black tank. The switch is on the back wall on top of the commode. Also added 3led lights that come on when the switch is on, for 2 reasons, one at night for enough light to see without blinding and 2 to remind me it is on. This accomplishing 2 things, users Grey water instead of good fresh water to flush and lowers the gray tank when boondocking. It already has some soap in the water so it does help keep the commode clean. I like our setup. So, you can only flush using my new setup. I disconnected our existing water pump on the commode and put a close nipped on the water connection. There is no way for the water to mix with fresh water, as it is 2 separate stations.
Interesting

I have a similar Mod I would love to make, but it would have to be on another thread. In 4 years, we have learned we generate gray water 2 to 1 to black water. While WBGO has our Outdoor kitchen sink plumbed to black tank, usage is not that relevant. So what I want is to have a valve on my bath room sink where I can divert the bath sink water to Black or Gary tank. If valve is not possible, I would accept it permanently plumbed to Black tank. I am convinced that the change would have us using generating Black & Gray equally.

While I am on a role an becoming a Switch expert I am thinking to create a new Mod to change out my momentary switch on outdoor sink to one that is ON/OFF but with Red LEDs that say Sink Drain, Bilge or similar. Here is why you should like. Say I have 1/3rd tanks of fresh water that I need to dump. I will no longer need to dump it on the ground, I can turn on outdoor kitchen sink and the sink drain pump so it is pumped to the black tank to help clean it out. Still using fresh water, but at least getting some value out of it.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:12 AM   #107
Just Trying to Help

dkoldman-

Looks original! I especially like the wire labeling.

Fresh and drain water piping drawings are available for 2019 coaches here.

I understand that older coaches (perhaps pre-1995) may have a single tank for grey and black water. I've read that some folks with newer, separate-tank coaches simulate this by opening the grey and black tank dump valves at the same time, with the dump pipe closed off (by cap or separate valve). As most folks use more grey water than black, this "balancing" usually means grey water flowing into the black tank. It's a purely manual process, as opposed to a grey water forwarding pump or replumbing a grey water source into the black tank. May be worth trying to see if this works well enough for you, before making permanent changes.

If your coach has a black tank flush, and you use it, be careful what you replumb into the black tank. A backup through the black tank vent and toilet is one thing (and may be limited in damage if you don't open the toilet ball valve), but a backup of black tank contents into the sinks may be more than you can handle!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #108
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
dkoldman-

Looks original! I especially like the wire labeling.

Fresh and drain water piping drawings are available for 2019 coaches here.

I understand that older coaches (perhaps pre-1995) may have a single tank for grey and black water. I've read that some folks with newer, separate-tank coaches simulate this by opening the grey and black tank dump valves at the same time, with the dump pipe closed off (by cap or separate valve). As most folks use more grey water than black, this "balancing" usually means grey water flowing into the black tank. It's a purely manual process, as opposed to a grey water forwarding pump or replumbing a grey water source into the black tank. May be worth trying to see if this works well enough for you, before making permanent changes.

If your coach has a black tank flush, and you use it, be careful what you replumb into the black tank. A backup through the black tank vent and toilet is one thing (and may be limited in damage if you don't open the toilet ball valve), but a backup of black tank contents into the sinks may be more than you can handle!
See new thread here on bath sink drain to black tank

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3943700
Old 10-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #109
Winnie-Wise

This has been a fun read. I understand all the switch logic, but not some of the effort.
I solved the real problem of having water when you need it, a long time ago. I installed an accumulator in my water system, and then installing a momentary push button next to the head. If there is not enough water in the accumulator, a quick push on the button and it is Good To Go.

No additional LEDs, or remembering to turn the switch off.

Just "Enjoy the Go". LOL
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:28 PM   #110
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
This has been a fun read. I understand all the switch logic, but not some of the effort.
I solved the real problem of having water when you need it, a long time ago. I installed an accumulator in my water system, and then installing a momentary push button next to the head. If there is not enough water in the accumulator, a quick push on the button and it is Good To Go.

No additional LEDs, or remembering to turn the switch off.

Just "Enjoy the Go". LOL
I am glad the accumulator worked for you, but that was not the real problem for us. We have enough capacity to get a couple of flushes when water is 1st turned off. But you may consume that accumulated capacity and/or person before may have and you not know it.

As far as effort goes; it sounds like more effort and cost to install an accumulator and a momentary switch? In our case the wiring for a momentary was not what we wanted because we want to turn the water on , and in most cases it will be left on. But if not, the switch that we install is easy access from toilet and the shower. It is right next to light switch so when LED is off you know water pump is OFF for coach. It is great.

FWIW, we hate momentary switches. We just replaced the one for drain pump in outdoor kitchen. I have an extra monentary Drain Pump switch lying around now. See this thread https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...en-367204.html

If you have never left a garbage disposal on, you will never leave a switch for a drain pump on as you can hear it running because it is right under sink.

The blue light in bath is really nice effect especially at night, and the red leds of Sink Drain outside, just reminds whoever to turn it ON, that it is RED so turn it off when finished.

Here is one big unintended advantage of the ON/OFF switch over momentary for outdoor sink drain. I can now turn outdoor faucet ON and sink drain ON and 5 minutes later, I have pumped plenty of unwanted freshwater into black tank versus just dumping on the ground. It is just an extra flush for black tank as my outdoor sink pumps to black tank. But we really did it to have both hands free to wash our hands with running water that is also draining and the ability to wash dishes outside easier

We spent about $40 total for both projects. The only real effort was the learning about the wiring to make the LEDs in the bath work in tandem with the LED in main hallway. This is shaping up to be very handy mods. For the cost and effort, it is now a no brainer.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:26 PM   #111
Winnie-Wise

Carry on and preserver till the solution.
Keep us posted.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump, switch