Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Replacement radio problems.......

I replaced the original 1.5 DIN Magnadyne radio in our '04 Itasca Sunrise with a 1 DIN size "off the shelf" car stereo today and ran into an electrical problem I hope someone can help me with. The installation itself went very well and wasn't terribly difficult but now I have no power to the radio when I switch from the chassis battery to the house battery. It works just fine with he chassis battery with the key in the "on" or "accessory" position. I've checked everything I know to look at like fuses, etc. but have no idea why there is no power to the radio when the coach battery is selected. Any ideas??????
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

check for power on both sides of the chassis/ house switch. the house side should be fused somewhere.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are the coach/house batteries enabled? Salesman switch?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Last September (2019) we replaced our 1.5 din Magnadyne with a JVC KDseries. Love it. Should have done it years ago. As you say, replacing a radio is pretty much plug n play.

In our rig, the radio power line goes directly to a rocker switch labeled aux and main.

The aux side is fed by a wire that leads to a circuit breaker in a panel under the front "hood".

The main side is fed by a wire leading from the ignition switch.

Have you laid a meter across the rocker switch? They go bad. I have replaced our slide lock rocker, our center sunshade rocker and the hi/low defrost fan rocker this year. The first had the decency to just quit. The latter two operated intermittently on some weird schedule involving alternate lunar phases or something.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

Here's the Magnadyne M9900 Wire Diagram that may help.

I also included an Amp Schematic, but I'm not sure how applicable it is to your coach. (See .pdf)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnadyne M9900 Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	174867  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winnebago Stereo & TV Wiring Diagram - AMP by RiverPark.pdf (103.0 KB, 56 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Last September (2019) we replaced our 1.5 din Magnadyne with a JVC KDseries. Love it. Should have done it years ago. As you say, replacing a radio is pretty much plug n play.

In our rig, the radio power line goes directly to a rocker switch labeled aux and main.

The aux side is fed by a wire that leads to a circuit breaker in a panel under the front "hood".

The main side is fed by a wire leading from the ignition switch.

Have you laid a meter across the rocker switch? They go bad. I have replaced our slide lock rocker, our center sunshade rocker and the hi/low defrost fan rocker this year. The first had the decency to just quit. The latter two operated intermittently on some weird schedule involving alternate lunar phases or something.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
I haven't had time to investigate that as a potential problem but it sure seems like a real possibility. We're leaving for a 7 - 10 day trip to see my wife's aunt and uncle just north of Fort Worth and hope to have time to look into it further when we get back. As it stands right now, our stereo works perfectly on chassis power so at least it's functional.

Our S-I-L is an electrical engineer and lives in the area so I plan on putting him on the case when we get back from Texas next week. He looked at it briefly yesterday but didn't have time to investigate in depth. He said that on the surface, it certainly looked like just a blown fuse but they all checked out okay. Oddly enough, the power to the 12V outlet also went out and he thinks they may be related somehow.

Anyway, on the Texas and thanks for the info!!
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

AveryF Here is a drawing showing how to replace the Magnadyne radio M9900 or M9999 with an aftermarket radio. This left over from my 03 Journey days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Aftermarket Radio Harness Installation.pdf (92.3 KB, 110 views)
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, problems, radio, replace, replacement