Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Alternatives to ONAN Generators....

My ONAN is 2004 and is costing me an arm and a leg to get fixed. From what I can tell, I'm in for a lifetime of waiting on expensive parts, and paying a fortune to keep this ONAN running.

WHAT OTHER OPTIONS EXIST?

I'd be more enthusiastic to spend the money on something newer, better, more state of the art, if it exists. Other brands of gennies? Solar?

I have a Minnie Winnie 29. We definitely want to run A/C, as we live and travel in the desert.

I hope there's something newer and better than the ONAN!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

you can buy a used unit and go from there. Most issues are from not storing with a stabilizer for long periods. What are your issues? remember most places charge big$$ for gen repairs even when its something minor.

Tell folks what your issues are and maybe they can help. The onans are a cummins product and should be fairly reliable. Some folks say they have mega hours on theirs without issues!
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The carb is fouled according to the mechanic. He want's $992.00 installed for a new one, and possibly more $$ if a fuel pump is needed. I already paid him about $150 to "service the gen." Cough, cough.

I see that the Internet is jammed packed with complaints of fouled carbs and pumps. Obviously ONAN didn't figure out how to store this with no fuel. And, they have the cajones to charge $395 for a tiny carbureter? And no rebuild kits? Seriously? My guy says he has replaced carbs on the same RV sometimes every 12 months for some owners. This is absurd, even by RV standards (IMHO). It looks like an old design, and not engineered for easy service when jammed into tiny inaccessible RV hatches.

I'm not thrilled with the prospects of screwing with this thing every month.

If it was nicely designed to slide out of the RV, had affordable and available parts, I'd be fine with DIYing it myself. I'm good with tools. But it's none of those things. The carbs are on back order and may not be available for many weeks.

I'd be willing to spend fresh money on a fresh product, but I'm not crazy about burning money on an old questionable one.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
RVCalypso

I have thought about removing our built in Onan and using the space for our 2000 watt Yamaha. We are installing a soft start in October which should allow us to run the AC off the 2000 watt generator. The advantage is the savings in weight, 38lbs is much better than 300lbs. The negative is having to pull the portable unit out and start it when you want to use it. We have solar and seldom use our generator. We have probably used 6 hours in 12 weeks of use this summer, mostly hair dryer, curling iron, and microwave. If the AC has to come on it's probably time to move.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Think future resale? How much of a reduction in price would you get?

You could easily replace the carb and the fuel pump yourself and for probably less than half the price you’ve been quoted.

On Amazon I found Onan 4000 carb rebuild kits for less than $50 and complete carbs for $210. Some one is ripping you off.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
. Some one is ripping you off.
I agree. I think the ripoff is all the back in the chain. Onan has a nerve charging $395 for a carb that could not possibly cost more than $20 to manufacture, and the TWO "RV Repair" shops in the area have quoted ludicrous prices for service/repair of all kinds.

Because of the massive "RV Boom" (especially in my area), they are all backlogged with service and I think charging accordingly.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I agree. I think the ripoff is all the back in the chain. .
OK, but you now know there are other options. So, you don’t need to participate in that ripoff. Right?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I agree. I think the ripoff is all the back in the chain. Onan has a nerve charging $395 for a carb that could not possibly cost more than $20 to manufacture, and the TWO "RV Repair" shops in the area have quoted ludicrous prices for service/repair of all kinds.

Because of the massive "RV Boom" (especially in my area), they are all backlogged with service and I think charging accordingly.
What's the problem? Don't believe in "free enterprise"?

There are two things that I've found to be true of all things I want. I can pay the price in dollars or pay it in blood and sweat and it is certainly your choice which way to go but getting a better generator for your RV than Onan is going to take a while!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just back from troubleshooting the Onan.

1. B/G. The RV only had 12000 miles on it. I doubt if this gen has many hours, but the hour meter doesn't light up. The Gen looks brand new except for rust on the bottom tray.
The carburetor looks clean as a whistle, and there are no broken or loose linkages.

2. I ran pressed PRIME for like 1 minute and the red light never went out. So, I pushed start and it fires up, runs about 10-seconds, tries to idle, but shuts off. The error code was "32".

I repeated this a few times, but the longest it ran was maybe 20-seconds. It would rev up, then try to idle, the shutter off.

After a few tries I removed the air cleaner - it seemed dirty. I started the unit wihout the air cleaner, and it ran for 30-seconds, but some wet gas was coming out where the air cleaner sits. I shut it off. The error code was "13". Then it hit me, that I was running the A/C off shore power (it's 112F today here), and I thought maybe I overheated it or something like that.

Neither of the two repair guys mentioned any "error codes." I think they never even looked at it! They just went straight to "carb" at $1,000!

I'm going to get a new air cleaner, new spark plug and SeaFoam it. I hjave a good feeling that I can get this thing running.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Most likely the carburetor is being fouled, and it involves ethanol laced gas. I am most familiar with this problem in small engines, portable generators, outboards etc. My solution is to run the unit out of fuel or drain the carburetor. Most of these small engines have simple carburetors, and are easy to repair or rebuild.

I have not owned a gas Onan for a number of years--last few have been diesel--and they seem to last very well. I would either find a way to run the gas out of the generator, run it every week or drain the carburetor. In the mean time you can try Stabi for ethanol fuel, and Startron treatment for the fuel tank, or go to all non ethanol fuel (that latter is probably difficult to do in many states).
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Just back from troubleshooting the Onan.

1. B/G. The RV only had 12000 miles on it. I doubt if this gen has many hours, but the hour meter doesn't light up. The Gen looks brand new except for rust on the bottom tray.
The carburetor looks clean as a whistle, and there are no broken or loose linkages.

2. I ran pressed PRIME for like 1 minute and the red light never went out. So, I pushed start and it fires up, runs about 10-seconds, tries to idle, but shuts off. The error code was "32".

I repeated this a few times, but the longest it ran was maybe 20-seconds. It would rev up, then try to idle, the shutter off.

After a few tries I removed the air cleaner - it seemed dirty. I started the unit wihout the air cleaner, and it ran for 30-seconds, but some wet gas was coming out where the air cleaner sits. I shut it off. The error code was "13". Then it hit me, that I was running the A/C off shore power (it's 112F today here), and I thought maybe I overheated it or something like that.

Neither of the two repair guys mentioned any "error codes." I think they never even looked at it! They just went straight to "carb" at $1,000!

I'm going to get a new air cleaner, new spark plug and SeaFoam it. I hjave a good feeling that I can get this thing running.
Interesting, as both error codes, according to the manual refer to low battery voltage and or load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFE5781B-F84A-4271-A5DC-A6ACE9C16C11.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	174907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCF77F6A-879C-47D9-A2F7-BD388854A895.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	174908  

Old 09-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #12
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Back to the origin question.

If he wanted to take out the Onan what could he put in?

The Honda 3500 is very quiet. Can you get it with electric an starter?
Will it fit?

How about a Yamaha for about $800?

I think he was asking if anyone had the answer to switch to another type of generator.

I’d like the answer because the Honda 3500 is incredibly quiet (but expensive) and there are other generators out there.

Why does it have to be an Onan?
Old 09-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had similar problems with my onan gen shutting down when i was in AZ. Went to a small engine repair shop and explained the problem. He came out and checked it out and said that it was most probably gasahol and vapor lock. Best solution was to use gasahol free gas. Otherwise use a fuel stabilizer. I use stabil. Works for me.
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Generac makes RV generators. They're definitely louder though.

Just start your unit monthly and run at a minimum of 50% load for no less than 30 minutes - as is stated in your user's manual. Over 600 hours, no problems.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi, my Onan Manual showed different than what you just posted. Different model?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Again, is there a 5000 peak/3800 running watt generator that will fit in the Onan's space, that can remote star,t and can run on the chassis' fuel? Mine is running great but the day may come when we need something else. This is a terrific question for which to discuss an answer!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Generac nightmare

I have a 2001 Newmar DS that DID have a Generac 6.5kw....
Would run & make a metallic metal whine sound, never would come to speed...
I finally gave up & pulled the piece of junk out like a bad tooth...
Turned out the Gen was driven by a pulley on the bottom side...
The Gen pulley was a compressed fit on the arbor & held with a large bolt...
The bolt started to come loose & the Gen pulley started to rub on the bottom cover... ( a keeper would have been nice or some Lock Tight)
So sold some parts from it on Ebay..
No Gen now but less weight & extra storage...
I bought a Honda 3000i inverter gen for $900 & it will run one of my airs...
Pull start though so I have it on a back platform with adapter cables...
Was looking at the Onan fuel ejection gens but around $4000... OUCH...
Will be selling my Newmar in 2 years so missing a Gen will hurt my selling price...
Bob

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I believe the Onan RV Generator sets were designed before the wide use of 10% ethanol, and it's this gummy substance that cases most the carb problems with these units. Although expensive, I buy four cans of SeaFoam and add 3.5 cans (55 ozs per 55 gallon of fuel) to the RV fuel tank every 250 hours of generator use. I also tune up the generator on that schedule (oil, air filter, etc.). Seafoam has also done wonders for my Ford 450 engine...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I have thought about removing our built in Onan and using the space for our 2000 watt Yamaha. We are installing a soft start in October which should allow us to run the AC off the 2000 watt generator. The advantage is the savings in weight, 38lbs is much better than 300lbs. The negative is having to pull the portable unit out and start it when you want to use it. We have solar and seldom use our generator. We have probably used 6 hours in 12 weeks of use this summer, mostly hair dryer, curling iron, and microwave. If the AC has to come on it's probably time to move.
I’ve thought about removing our generator also. My Winnebago Fuse has a 2.5 Onan. The catch is if your running the air conditioning you can’t run much of anything else. If you do it pops the breaker on the generator, which on the Fuse is underneath in the middle back section of the RV. So you have to crawl under the RV to get to it, or any other maintenance.
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan