Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Intellisense touch screen failure 2012 Via

I am desperate. The Intellisense touch screen control center panel on my 2012 Via has failed. I'm told by Winnebago there is no replacement available. Their best suggestion is to check junk yards. I was dumbfounded!! The RV is unusable to me without it. I've searched the net and tried to contact the original supplier with no luck. I'm open to ANY suggestions. Would be happy to convert to a newer system if I could find one. Thanks Carter
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Let me check on what panel you mean as there can be confusion at times?
do you mean the screen on the dash? Not the monitor panel showing what the RV is doing?
Reason for making sure is that one is likely part of the stripped chassis, while the monitor is part of the items added by Winnebago. They do buy that part from others as well but the supply chain will be totally different.

One of the results we have seen in the last few years due to Covid is the loss of lots of the smaller suppliers of parts made for different final builders.

We have noted RV have lost access to one of the really helpful items for charging the chassis battery as Trik-L-Start seems to be gone. Small companies were not able to weather the storm when so many were lost or quit!

So part of the question may be if it is a part built for the chassis builder or a small part built for Winnebago by some "family operation".

Do you have a brand and model, etc. for the part to allow doing a search?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We have noted RV have lost access to one of the really helpful items for charging the chassis battery as Trik-L-Start seems to be gone. Small companies were not able to weather the storm when so many were lost or quit!
Richard, the Trik-L-Start company’s demise has nothing to do with Covid issues. It was a one man operation (here in San Antonio) and the guy died of a sudden heart attack.

The widow seems to be trying to sell or reform the company.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Carter, here’s a post on IRV2.com that is very similar to yours and the fix that he came up with:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/int...ia-600113.html
Old 10-05-2023, 08:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the link, already saw that, not something I could do. It is the RV monitor. Made by Touchsensor Tecnologies, (has been bought by Methode Electronics) Part # per Winnebago Z24308GtZ. I'll get my signature fixed. for now 2012 Winnebago Via Q
Old 10-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard, the Trik-L-Start company’s demise has nothing to do with Covid issues. It was a one man operation (here in San Antonio) and the guy died of a sudden heart attack.

The widow seems to be trying to sell or reform the company.
Okay, I admit to having the wrong disease for an example!
I should reframe my thinking.
Rv are made up of many small parts from many smaller companies, so when that company goes out of business, those parts are no longer available from the same sources.
We have to look further as it is no longer a Winnebago part!
Whether covid or heart disease, when a small company is gone, the part is often gone, too.

Whether that is true in this case does depend on which part they are asking about, though! When I bought my last Trik part, it came out of Boulder, Co. but they may have sold or moved several times since then.
Old 10-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Carter, have you seen this thread on IRV2? I don't know if it's a help or not, but seems like the same issue:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/201...lp-589526.html
Old 10-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I agree it is a total mess to find what we have bought and seemed so new to us is now obsolete!
One of the major changes I've seen in anything to do with electronics is that we are throwing far too much stuff away due to it not being possible to repair things like we used to before everything had chips!

I just swapped out a five year old frig because it had a defect in a control board that was blowing fuses!
Likely something like a rectifier or other fifty cent part that now requires throwing out 200 pounds of good frig because we can't get the info on how the board works as they protect their investment in that small part knowledge!

There are tons of nearly new TV set out on the curb because a 50 cent capacitor blew and they get no power! It's the modern way to do things!

I "retired" from my main career when I found I was just a board changer instead of a technician!
Old 10-05-2023, 03:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have the same control panel. After reading about a few failures, if mine ever dies I think I will swap in a water heater control panel and a manual water pump switch. The tank sensors could be changed to a stand alone See Level system, not sure what I'd do about the propane but there's probably something you can buy for that too. Have you asked an RV repair place about doing those things? If you think about it the water heater and water pump are the two most important functions, the rest can come later. The tank level sensors are already external on the Via, not sure if they are See Level brand though.

I know in a pinch you can energize the water heater electric by jumping 12 volts to the relay on the back of the water heater under the black cover, or even by just bypassing it with the 120 volt line and control it with the circuit breaker. Not sure how to start the propane but I'd guess it's just a switched connection.

Then there would have to be some woodworking skills to fix the hole where the Intellisource was.

Since mine is stored indoors hopefully that will help prevent a failure from temperature extremes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH panel.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	187486  
Old 10-05-2023, 08:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

RV salvage yards by state
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I have started the junk yard search. I would be happy to go to a manual switch system. Haven't been able to find the schematic for the 15 or so wires that plug into the back of the panel. There is a gauge on the LP tank itself that reads more precisely than the panel ever did. Little hard to see and read but would be good enough. I know that the Itasca Reyo used the same panel. I would be interested if any of you could tell me of other makes/models that use the same panel. Thanks again, I
Old 10-06-2023, 08:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Maybe we never find an actual schematic but there is some help on sorting the wires---maybe?
Are you aware of the way Winnebago labels smaller wires to ID them?

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	187487

Possible that you might pull enough of the wiring loom soldered to the board up and get past the plug to find the wiring Winnebago added?
I suspect this is a board with wiring done by the board builder and then Winnebago just plugged it to their wires??

If you find labels on the Winn. wiring, then you can go to this chart to "decode" the wires for "from" and "to" locations.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Not as handy as having a real schematic of where and how the board is built but it can help a lot if we want to know which wire feeds power to something like the water pump!

Click this snip to get better view!

Name:	id.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	187488

Not as good as we would like but best we have, so we make due?
Best of luck on the trek!
Old 10-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Update: The iRV2.com site mentioned earlier referenced a business named Board Busterz I found their website, called the number. They do repair these panels. I'm putting mine in the mail today. Will give a report when I get it back. They are a Florida company. Could be a game changer for me.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

After I removed the panel saw that I posted the wrong part# correct one is G24308GBZ A1
Old 10-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update, will be following to hear results.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I'm told the panel will be done in the next few days. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Eureka!!! Just installed the rebuilt control board/panel. It works just as it should. Tony at Tony's Board Busterz(s) was a pleasure to deal with. My MAJOR problem solved for less than $200. He does all sorts of board repairs. auto ECUs, appliances, almost anything. His company is located near Palm Beach Fl. Phone # 1-888-400-3122. Has a web site for more details. Thank you all for the help. All is well in Mudville.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Eureka!!! Just installed the rebuilt control board/panel. It works just as it should. Tony at Tony's Board Busterz(s) was a pleasure to deal with. My MAJOR problem solved for less than $200. He does all sorts of board repairs. auto ECUs, appliances, almost anything. His company is located near Palm Beach Fl. Phone # 1-888-400-3122. Has a web site for more details. Thank you all for the help. All is well in Mudville.
Thanks for the update, we never hear back from a lot of people. Keeping an older RV going can be a challenge and we need to stick together and share solutions.
We just did a 2,000 mile trip on our 2011 Via and I had fridge problems and battery charging problems. Fixed the fridge yesterday, it was the only connection I hadn't cleaned, the one on the igniter module. Cleaned the pins gently with a fine finger nail board then electronic contact cleaner and compressed air, problem solved. Ordering a new battery isolation solenoid for the coach batteries, if you ever have to do this job buy a good one as it is not easy to access, you need to be part monkey.
I'm going to save that info on the board repair guy.

Tags
scr