Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Screen door removable screen?

The screen in the door of the newer 40U and 40R is fixed, makes it difficult for the co-pilot to see out of. A few years ago 3T's sold a kit to make the screen a sliding unit to have up when traveling, down when parked and utilizing the screen door. Does anyone know of supplier for a kit like this, I was told 3T's doesn't have anything like that anymore?
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, here's an older thread regarding this: Retractable screen for door.

Unfortunately, it does look like 3T's no longer has it available. You might try Lichtsinn Motors and WinnebagoParts, in case they still have one in stock or can get it from Winnebago.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Had mine modified

I'm the co-pilot and I hated looking thru the screen so the DH took the door off, took it to a place that made windows and window screens. The gut cut the screen out, then framed it and cut a piece of plexiglass the same size. He mounted tabs on the door to hold whichever piece we wanted in at the time. It made a huge difference. It was the only solution we could find. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
The screen in the door of the newer 40U and 40R is fixed, makes it difficult for the co-pilot to see out of. A few years ago 3T's sold a kit to make the screen a sliding unit to have up when traveling, down when parked and utilizing the screen door. Does anyone know of supplier for a kit like this, I was told 3T's doesn't have anything like that anymore?
I have not done this mod yet but I plan to. Looking through that screen when driving is very distracting. Lowe's and HD, and I am certain many other stores, sell screen frame parts. I plan on removing my screen and building a frame to replace it with. Fasteners are available to secure it in place when we are parked. While driving I will simply store the screen.

Hope this idea helps.

Rick Y
Old 09-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our old coach had the 3T retractable screen, but our 13' Journey did not. I removed the screen out of the door and then constructed a frame and screen out of materials readily available at Lowe's or any hardware store. After assembling the frame, I cut out a short section of the frame where the hinge bolts interfere. I then made an offset out of 1/8' x 3/4" flat aluminum bar to fit over the hinge bolts. I simply riveted the offset bar to the frame. Then, I secured two rare earth magnets to the top of the frame and sam location on the frame. You can get magnets with a hole in the center which allowed for a rivet fastener. I placed one magnet to the bottom center of the door and the frame. I was originally going to apply a felt or similar seal on the frame but find that very few insects get around the gap between the frame and door channel.

For storage I secure the screen to the back wall of the wardrobe closet with two small tabs to hold it in place.

Not the best design, but best I could come up with for now. Frankly, it ended up being convenient, aesthetically pleasing and functioning well. I think I'll keep it .

cheers,
Jupiter
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Our old coach had the 3T retractable screen, ...
Just to make sure folks know the rollup screen was made by Atwood for their doors and was OEM on at least some of the Winnebago 2006/2007 high-end units as far as I know. 3T's was just one business that had the screens available at a good price.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the suggestions. The roll/pull down feature of 3T's design is the ultimate design, I am hoping to not have to have to store/replacement screen, but that may be the case. The magnetically held in place is a good idea. Any other suggestions will be welcomed, thanks again.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use velcro tabs on our removable screen. A screen kit from Home Depot matched the color of the door exactly so when the screen is installed, you have to look very closely to see that it is not an original feature. Storing the very thin screen is not a problem.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone checked with RollAway Disappearing Screen for this application ? Leaning toward the Velcro or magnet type deal so far.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think I found the answer, check out Geniusscreens.com. Thanks for all the feedback, will post pictures down the road when completed.

Tags
door, scr