Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which Generator?
Champion 2200-Watt Duel Fuel Inverter 1 33.33%
Genconnex-modified (propane) Honda 2200-Watt Inverter 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane Generator: Honda (converted) vs Champion

I'm trying to decide which generator to buy to recharge the batteries on my 1800BH. I know I want propane since I have 2x20lb bottles of it already and don't want to haul gas. I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Champion 2500-Watt Duel Fuel Inverter
pros
- Price
- Runs on propane from the factory
- Lighter
cons
- Connection to low pressure quick connect port is kludgy
- Reports of difficulty starting on propane
- A little louder

Honda 2200-Watt Inverter converted to propane by Genconnex
pros
- Gold standard for quality/reliability
- Genconnex conversion makes it plug-and-play for quick connect port
- a little quieter
cons
- Price
- Requires third-party conversion to run on propane
- Heavier

Both will power everything but my A/C, and I could buy a second to run in parallel if I decide I need A/C while boondocking.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience anyone has with these options.
wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last month, I flipped the coin on your choices and went with the Champion 2500 df. Yes, I reported that it would not start on propane out of the box. I also reported decibel readings from 25ft. By running it on gasoline until warm, it had no problem starting on propane. This was truly disappointing because I didn’t want to use any gasoline. The Champion was very quiet, but just a couple of decibels above what has been reported for the Honda eu2200i. Not enough of a difference to swing a decision. This is kinda big: the Champion weighs about 10lbs less than the Honda. And of course, the Champion is half the price of the Honda+ conversion kit. Since it’s a new model, i don’t know if the hard start problem is unique to me I hadn’t heard any such problems with its predecessor, the Champion 2200 df. To be sure, only time and usage over a one year period will determine which is the better choice.

Edited:
I purchased the parallel kit, not just to be able to parallel, but because of the 30amp and 50amp outlets. Be cautioned that to 30amp outlet is not a 30TT. So to use it with a 30amp shore power cord, you have to buy a 30amp to 30TT adapter plug. It locks clockwise, so when you plug in the shore power cord, it unlocks due to the weight of the cord (bad design). So, you have to loop the cord around the top of the unit so it won’t unlock the adapter plug.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input Jim. After reading some more reviews today, there are A LOT of people who say it's either hard or impossible to start on propane. Like you, I really don't want to have to carry gas just to get it started.

For what it's worth, one Q&A I read said that the issue (at least for that guy) was that the excess flow valve in the regulator was tripping when he opened the tank too quickly. He solved this by opening the tank very slowly. Not sure if this was unique to him or a more common problem, but it might be worth giving it a shot. It sure would be a simple fix if that's the problem.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do you mean that your TT came with two 20 lb. propane tanks, or you're carrying along two extra 20 lb. tanks?

Remember that propane powered generators use a lot of propane as compared to gasoline generators, because propane has less energy per gallon than gasoline.

For extended generator runs when drycamping - such as for A/C on hot days - you might not want to power a propane generator off the TT's precious main 20 lb. tank(s).
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

In using propane generators at work, we want the propane for safety but we do find there is a problem starting them on it if we do not do the breakin as specified. After broken in, we have no more trouble.
Overall, we much prefer the propane on small generators due to the safety. With all the sparks and fire starters like welding around us, we like to keep the fire hazard where it won't be spilled!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Do you mean that your TT came with two 20 lb. propane tanks, or you're carrying along two extra 20 lb. tanks?

Remember that propane powered generators use a lot of propane as compared to gasoline generators, because propane has less energy per gallon than gasoline.

For extended generator runs when drycamping - such as for A/C on hot days - you might not want to power a propane generator off the TT's precious main 20 lb. tank(s).
That’s a good point. We might add a little capacity if it becomes an issue, but we have a 12v fridge, so we’re only running the water heater and occasional furnace off the propane. We’re mostly camping in the Colorado mountains and seldom need the A/C. Main idea for us is to burn a little propane each day to recharge the batteries. I’m thinking of installing solar as well, but that’s another can of worms. 😀
Old 03-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought the Champion 2500 Dual Fuel. Quality, affordable, customer service that can't be beat.
Amazon kept screwing up my order. Went from Dec 28th to mid Feb and no delivery. Obviously UPS lost, stole whatever to my gens. I actually called Champion and apparently they called UPS and Amazon. Next week I had TWO of them show up at the door and it showed a third was on the way (raining gens LOL) Stopped shipment on the third, sent the 2nd one back and I am way thrilled with the one I originally ordered.
Champion apparently went out of their way to make things happen.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I bought the Champion 2500 Dual Fuel. Quality, affordable, customer service that can't be beat.
Amazon kept screwing up my order. Went from Dec 28th to mid Feb and no delivery. Obviously UPS lost, stole whatever to my gens. I actually called Champion and apparently they called UPS and Amazon. Next week I had TWO of them show up at the door and it showed a third was on the way (raining gens LOL) Stopped shipment on the third, sent the 2nd one back and I am way thrilled with the one I originally ordered.
Champion apparently went out of their way to make things happen.
After getting my 2500w df, I sent two emails to Champion regarding the parallel kit, and two emails regarding hard-starting on propane. None of my emails have been answered. I wouldn’t call that Exceptional customer service. I’ve gotten far more info on this forum than I’ve gotten from Champion. Still, I do like the generator.
BTW: don’t buy the magnetic oil plug from Amazon. It doesn’t fit this generator.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just make the phone call to Champion for service. It will be a long wait or use their call back service. Talking to a real person has it's benefits.
I guess we can all have different experiences, I just stated the experience I had with them.
Attitude can go a long way when speaking to the rep on the phone.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Do the small champion generators include the “big” regulator out of the box, or did they downsize that vs the 3000w generators ?
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I dunno the size of new one vrs old, but here is the regulator for the 2500df
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A4CF24C-3F92-420E-BA38-F42BD1CF1417.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	178001  
Old 03-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

looking good. have similair truck SLT version👍
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

In shopping for a new generator, I came across a small point that I had forgotten about the propane starting on generators.
The book mentions that we should do several pulls of the cord to turn the engine over to let gas into the engine when we are trying to start the engine the first time after connecting the line.

If we think about the operation of an engine on gasoline we can see the fuel runs downhill and is there almost immediately but not the same when dealing with propane, as the line from the tank to the engine will be full of air if we have just connected it to the tank and engine.

With air in the line, a few pulls of the starting cord will allow that air to bleed out and then the engine is ready to start as it is now getting fuel. Maybe some of the complaints of slow starting on propane are due to not understanding the way to clear the air first?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

IDK
Out of the box, the Champion wouldn’t start on propane after even 10 priming pulls. Rested disconnected, reconnected, then five more priming pulls. Still no start. I think we can all agree that you have to fill the line with propane before any of it gets to the carburetor, but this Ginny wouldn’t start no matter what. After warming it up on gasoline, and switching back to propane, it started on propane after two priming pulls. So, it’s obvious, the problem isn’t operator error. The problem is the carburetor or plug won’t ignite propane when it’s cold. This problem has repeated itself even after break-in. When left cold for a couple of days, it won’t start on propane. Something is amiss, and Champion doesn’t answer emails.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings View Post
Thanks for the input Jim. After reading some more reviews today, there are A LOT of people who say it's either hard or impossible to start on propane. Like you, I really don't want to have to carry gas just to get it started.

For what it's worth, one Q&A I read said that the issue (at least for that guy) was that the excess flow valve in the regulator was tripping when he opened the tank too quickly. He solved this by opening the tank very slowly. Not sure if this was unique to him or a more common problem, but it might be worth giving it a shot. It sure would be a simple fix if that's the problem.
Wings,
Thanks for your post.
After reading your post, I got my Champion 2500 df out (cold) and tried starting it on propane according to y our instructions. I opened the tank valve very slowly u til it was fully open. Then gave four priming pulls, no start. Two more priming pulls and it started. Thanks for sleuthing this issue.

Tags
generator, propane