Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdgranger View Post
Our Winnebago RV dealer finally called me about my 2022 Micro 2529RG.
Winnebago has authorized them to upgrade my trailer to a 50 amp along with another one that they have in their lot.
Amazing, I'm very surprised.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdgranger View Post
Our Winnebago RV dealer finally called me about my 2022 Micro 2529RG.
Winnebago has authorized them to upgrade my trailer to a 50 amp along with another one that they have in their lot.
Oh, thank goodness!! That gives me hope! How did you manage that? Did you have to consult a lawyer? Did the dealership make this happen or did you have to go directly to Winnebago? We are getting pushback from the RV dealer’s service dept that there is anything wrong with the electrical system.
Mbconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:11 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbconnolly View Post
Oh, thank goodness!! That gives me hope! How did you manage that? Did you have to consult a lawyer? Did the dealership make this happen or did you have to go directly to Winnebago? We are getting pushback from the RV dealer’s service dept that there is anything wrong with the electrical system.

There are two different things happening. The dealer is right, there is nothing "wrong" with your 30A wiring system. It is however inadequate to handle the electrical load of the requirements of your trailer.
So being told there is nothing "wrong" with your electrical system is misleading and detracts from the actual problem., which is, an electrical system that cannot deliver the required capacity to power your RV.
Keep steering your dealer back to the real problem,an undersized electrical system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:57 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! Yes, it feels like double talk.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Potential same issue

Glad I came across this thread. I own the same travel trailer unit. However, mine is a 2022 so it’s unclear to me if my unit maintains an EMS or not. I need to find out when it was fabricated, and I’ll update accordingly.

My assumption would be that it does have the EMS configuration only because it does not have a 50amp socket per the posts in this thread. I was told by the person I purchased this unit from that he was told by the retailer that this unit could run both AC units even though it only has 30amp capabilities.

So, is the easy fix regardless of configuration to just install a SoftStartRV on each AC unit or use a SoftStartUp? Would that solve the problem of running both units along with running a microwave? I’m probably answering my own question here, but I guess it would come down to how much amperage is being used at one time and making sure it all adds up to less than 30amps? Seems like something an owner should not have to worry about while camping. Especially since I wouldn’t know how much amperage is being used without making an additional purchase.

In my instance I’m screwed with respect to the warranty since I purchased my unit from a private seller after being purchased from a retailer. That said I don’t know that I can reach out to Winnebago and find a solution that wouldn’t cost me anything (see post by Wdgranger in this thread). I do have a separate extended service plan that covers mechanical failures, but I don’t know that this would fall under these guidelines.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #46
Site Team

In my opinion (which means nothing really) you are stuck.

Yes, you could install a soft start on each A/c and get by on 30 amps. However, don’t expect to also run the microwave and both A/Cs.

If you have a Powerline EMS you can sort of run both A/Cs on 30 amp without the soft start. I have one on my 50 amp RV and when at RV parks with only 30 amp service it will start one A/C fan and compressor followed by another A/C’s fan. Then when that first A/C’s compressor turns off the EMS will keep the fan running on that unit and let the compressor run on the 2nd A/C. It will ping pong back and forth on the two units.

Adding a soft start to each A/C would fix that ping pong thing for sure.

With the EMS, turning on the microwave dumps one or both A/Cs depending on what all is in use.

Your choices are:
1. Live with it as is
2. Spend $600 on two Soft Starts
3. Spend maybe $1,500 or more to convert your TT to a full fledged 50 amp RV

There is a 4th option and that is to separate the bedroom A/C on to its own 20 amp circuit with a separate power cord. Then at a campground you plug the TT into the 30 amp receptacle on the power pedestal AND the bedroom A/C’s power cord into one of the additional 20 amp receptacles on that pedestal as well.

Neither Winnebago nor any Extended Service Contract is going to participate in this process. It’s all up to you.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Creative, if I do in fact have an EMS how would I go about finding it on my TT? Would it be near the inverter? If my TT does have the EMS would it operate much the same way as what you're seeing on your end where it would turn off another power draw so as not to trip a breaker? I guess my question is do they all basically work the same way?

I did read another post about all of this and am pretty much convinced now that I cannot run just about anything outside of lights if I have both units running at the same time. 30amps is 30amps. Period. And as you mentioned, I'm also wondering if the EMS is in place that it would be a waste of money purchasing another EMS type unit (SoftStartUp) since there would be a level of redundancy there. If it doesn't have an EMS then I can see considering a SoftStart.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #48
Site Team

On my motorhome there is a EMS remote monitor in my tech cabinet. It says Powerline Energy Management System by Precision Circuits and it shows the amperage of the power coming in and what loads are on and what, if any, loads are shed.

I have no idea if your TT would have the same monitor.

SoftStarts are not EMS devices. They simply lower the ramp up amp load of the A/C compressor upon startup.

RV A/C units typically use as much as 17 amps or more when the compressor starts up. So, obviously 2 of them together top 30-amps at start up. Running amps are a more manageable 12 to 14 amps. It’s mostly start up where the main problem exists. This is why the SoftStart can solve the issue. It slows the startup jolt required to start the compressor.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #49
Site Team

Another thing to know about 30-amp and 50-amp RV power. A 30-amp connection is 30-amps period. However, a 50-amp connection is 100-amps. That’s because a 50-amp power plug at the campsite consists of two 50-amp legs of 110v power. The 30-amp plug is only one 30-amp 110v line.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:52 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply and info on the 50amp. Good to know.

I don’t have a monitoring station like the one you mentioned in your rig. That doesn’t mean I don’t have an EMS but the monitor for sure I do not have. I’ll have to do some digging.

Doesn’t the EMS regulate start up amperage like the SoftStart?

If my unit does not have an EMS I don’t know that I can use the SoftStartUp like I wanted. It’ll work if I fire up the first AC but if I fire up the second one I don’t know that it’ll do much good since it’s coming from a single draw of power. Installing the SoftStartRV unit on each unit would definitely work though. I was just hoping to avoid that if I could.
CrispyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:12 PM   #51
Site Team

The EMS tracks the actual amperage load of connected appliances upon their last previous usage. Then it allows those appliances to run or sheds them (turns off power to them) based on the available amps at any given time.

It does not regulate startup or run amperage it just allows some loads to run and sheds others as needed.

You would need a separate SoftStart on each A/C.

While it is more difficult and more expensive, converting your 30-amp TT to 50-amp service affords you the most benefits by far. Installing two SoftStarts just lets you run two A/C units and nothing else. But that may be enough for your use.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:17 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Gotcha. The only downside to having a 50amp setup is trying to find campgrounds that provide it. 30amp is more prevalent at least that’s been my experience.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Just a quick update I contacted the person I bought my TT from and asked him if he was able to use both AC units in tandem and he said he was able to no problem. That’s good news.
CrispyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:40 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Just a quick follow-up and doing some quick research. I went to the FAQs section of the SoftStartUp website and found this. Curious as to how it would manage both AC units.

https://softstartup.com/faq/

"Will SoftStartUp™ allow me to run two A/C units on a single 30-amp utility hookupconnection?
A. Yes, with a SoftStartUp connected to your RV you can run both on a 30-amp hookup"
Old 01-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #54
Site Team

The SoftStartUp is a totally different and new product. I have not seen any reviews of how well it works. Their original SoftStart is a small box that you physically wire into the actual A/C unit - each one. Their new product is a device you put between the power pedestal and your power cord. It is supposed to somehow do the job of the SoftStart from the power cable for the whole RV. It is nice to think that would work.

You decide which kind you trust. There are zillions of reviews of the wire in kind and how they work. Personally, I have some doubts about the effectiveness of the new product. Besides, I already have an important energy protection device (Progressive Industries PT-50) between the power pedestal and my power cord. I don’t want another one there, as well.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:32 AM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Right. It is fairly new. That was the device I was initially considering since it's the easiest to use. SoftStartRV would take longer to get going and is a little more intrusive but cheaper and IMO would be more effective. Problem is purchasing and trying the SoftStartUP is an expensive way to see if it's going to work or not. $600 and apparently that's with a $300 discount. Ouch! Granted, there is a 90 day trial but nevertheless....
Old 01-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #56
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyBones View Post
Gotcha. The only downside to having a 50amp setup is trying to find campgrounds that provide it. 30amp is more prevalent at least that’s been my experience.
What you call a downside, I call a plus.

If the park is cheaper, I may select the 30 amp pedestal. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...08&sr=8-8&th=1

If it is not hot, sometimes I get the site with water only. I got 125 ah available battery capacity , we can go two days but I have generator I love to run at least 2 hrs a day.

FWIW I also have dogbone to connect to 15/20 amp service. Never tripped a breaker. I have EMS but I manage my energy wisely anyway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

On our 2529RG, the EMS (Energy Management SWITCH) is behind the fridge area. There is no EMS (Energy Management SYSTEM) as Winnebago claims on the 2529RG. The system comes with an LED display...the switch is not the same thing.

We have had zero luck running both of our A/C units on 30 amp service. Once the second A/C unit ramps up, it trips the WatchDog surge protector. In fact, we were unable to run the main A/C unit and the microwave at the same time either. Same situation...A/C unit would cycle on and the breaker would trip.

We ended up pursuing the matter legally. :(
Old 01-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyBones View Post
Thanks for the reply and info on the 50amp. Good to know.

I don’t have a monitoring station like the one you mentioned in your rig. That doesn’t mean I don’t have an EMS but the monitor for sure I do not have. I’ll have to do some digging.

Doesn’t the EMS regulate start up amperage like the SoftStart?

If my unit does not have an EMS I don’t know that I can use the SoftStartUp like I wanted. It’ll work if I fire up the first AC but if I fire up the second one I don’t know that it’ll do much good since it’s coming from a single draw of power. Installing the SoftStartRV unit on each unit would definitely work though. I was just hoping to avoid that if I could.
This is interesting reading: https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...=default&page=

Create a plus and minus chart before making a decision. This will get you started;
Plus -A/C units start easier, Minus- 2 soft starts cost $600 and you stil have a 30A RV.
The ask yourself, should I spend $600 for 2 soft starts, or spend $600 to upgrade my RV to 50A service?
Only the main breaker panel (RV specific) and wiring from it to the pedestal require upgrading, the present wiring in the RV is adequate for everything else.

OTOH, this Hard Start unit accomplishes the same outcome as a $300 soft start, RV-AC Hard Start Kit
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:45 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What you call a downside, I call a plus.

If the park is cheaper, I may select the 30 amp pedestal. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...08&sr=8-8&th=1

If it is not hot, sometimes I get the site with water only. I got 125 ah available battery capacity , we can go two days but I have generator I love to run at least 2 hrs a day.

FWIW I also have dogbone to connect to 15/20 amp service. Never tripped a breaker. I have EMS but I manage my energy wisely anyway.
Some great recommendations. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbconnolly View Post
On our 2529RG, the EMS (Energy Management SWITCH) is behind the fridge area. There is no EMS (Energy Management SYSTEM) as Winnebago claims on the 2529RG. The system comes with an LED display...the switch is not the same thing.

We have had zero luck running both of our A/C units on 30 amp service. Once the second A/C unit ramps up, it trips the WatchDog surge protector. In fact, we were unable to run the main A/C unit and the microwave at the same time either. Same situation...A/C unit would cycle on and the breaker would trip.

We ended up pursuing the matter legally. :(
Ouch. If I'm not mistaken your rig is a 2021? I'm hoping that since mine is a 2022 that I don't have the same issues. Per one of my prior posts the previous owner used both AC units at the same time without issue.

So, you did not have any luck pursuing the matter with Winnebago is my guess. From what I remember there was one other person (Wdgranger) that did?

It almost appears that the EMSystem may be faulty? I've owned a Starcraft with an A/C and a microwave and was able to run both at the same time on a 30amp system without any issues. The same should apply here as long as the 2nd unit isn't trying to engage.

Tags
travel