Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help! Breaker trips with 2 A/C units and 30 amp travel trailer

Hi all,

We have a 30 amp Winnebago 2529RG travel trailer that came with a second A/C unit. W are having a heck of a time getting them to run at the same time. We also can’t run the primary A/C unit and the microwave at the same time. I’m beyond frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how did you correct it? Words of wisdom needed!!

Many thanks,

Mary Beth
Mbconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Here’s the words. 30-amp power is limited to just that 30-amps. Two A/C units, when their compressors are starting requires more than 30-amps. Your microwave uses just as many if not more than your A/C does. So running both A/C and microwave at the same time can easily overload the circuit and trip a breaker.

Another thing to consider, when you’re plugged in to shore power your onboard Converter starts charging your RV’s batteries and this uses a good deal of power too. Especially if your batteries are at a low state of charge.

If your fridge is an absorption fridge, one that runs off of AC or Propane, and you are running it on AC - well, there goes some more amps. Same goes for your water heater if you have one that runs off of AC or propane and it’s on AC then even more amps are being used up.

So when you start adding up all the amps used by all of these large draw items you can see how quickly you can surpass the 30-amp limit you have on your RV.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Team

One more thing MaryBeth, your Signature says you have a 2021 Winnie Minnie 2529RG and that is not exactly correct. There is no such Winnebago product as a “Winnie Minnie.”

Of course you mean Winnebago when you say Winnie but because they use “Winnie” in other product names it quickly gets confusing. You have a 2021 Minnie 2529RG travel trailer. There is a Minnie Winnie RV but it is is a Class C motorhome.

Winnebago’s product names can seem confusing but it’s important to know the correct model name when posting here or on other forums and especially when talking to repair and parts facilities.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm a little surprised that the manufacturer would produce a 30 amp unit with 2 ACs and no load management system. Can you tell us the sizes of each AC unit, ie: 9,000/11,500/13,500/15,000 BTU? Depending on the sizes of the units it may be possible to run both if nothing else is used at the same time. Another thought is to install Soft Start kits on the AC units, or try the new plug in Soft Start that recently came out. But first we need to know the sizes of those ACs in order to recommend a solution.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you both…and thanks for the travel trailer correction (I actually meant to correct that several months ago &#128556

The main unit is 15,000 and the one in the bedroom is 13,500. It sounds like, based on what you two are saying, that the 30 amp limit is preventing us from running both units concurrently or running the main unit plus the microwave. Well, dang. Is there no workaround? (Hope springs eternal. Lol)

Mary Beth
Old 09-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbconnolly View Post
Thank you both…and thanks for the travel trailer correction (I actually meant to correct that several months ago ��)

The main unit is 15,000 and the one in the bedroom is 13,500. It sounds like, based on what you two are saying, that the 30 amp limit is preventing us from running both units concurrently or running the main unit plus the microwave. Well, dang. Is there no workaround? (Hope springs eternal. Lol)

Mary Beth
It may be possible to run them both but the problem arises when they cycle, as the compressor draws a considerable amount when it restarts, so soft starts or easy starts (which eliminate the sudden high amp draw) may work for you. You could also buy an EMS with a display to monitor how many amps you are using at a given time, this way you can keep it under control. If they can both run at the same time, then the soft starts will enable them to cycle on and off without overloading the circuit. You won't be able to use much else besides maybe the TV and a few lights, as mentioned the converter can be quite a draw if it is charging your batteries. Also bear in mind if your supply voltage sags (common at RV parks or with small cords) the AC units, being inductive, will increase amp draw to a point where they can trip breakers and/or damage themselves. Some sort of EMS is just about a necessity especially in crowded campgrounds.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you both…and thanks for the travel trailer correction (I actually meant to correct that several months ago ��)

Mary Beth
Not familiar with RV Trailers but here is my theory.

The fact that your Minnie comes standard with a 15,000 BTU; it implies that that is all you need, but also since they offer a Second AC (13,500 BTU) Bedroom Mount as option, that says to me they expect you to use one, or the other and not both.

I have seen some 28' - 29' RVs with 2 ACs on 30amps, but both were 11,000 BTUs each.

Think of it this way. You have more Air Conditioning than me in my Sunstar 29ve with 50amps!!! I have two 13,500 BTU and a power management systems that manages the loads.

My guess, is that the 2nd AC option is for running a unit opposite of where you may be in RV to avoid noise? i.e. You want to watch TV in main room, you may turn off the AC in that room and let the bedroom AC run and vice versa. I do that all the time with my 50 amps, I only need both ACs for my 30' RV when temps are over 92 degrees, and even then my wife complains it is too cold
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
Site Team

It’s been talked about here that the 30-amp Minnie travel trailers that optionally had two A/C units have a built in EMS to shed loads as necessary. The idea being that you turn on both A/Cs and the EMS (Energy Management System) controls the loads to keep from popping a breaker.

Winnebago bragged that this let you run everything on 30-amps because the EMS would shed some loads to let others run. However, we’ve had many that bought this TT and found it to not be true. Some said they had called Winnebago and complained… to no avail.

There is even a YouTube video made when the TT was introduced with the Winnebago rep bragging about how they have made the impossible possible.

As to solutions, there are several. As mentioned, installing SoftStarts on both A/Cs is the most common one. Two of these would cost about $600 and can be DIY installed. Another popular DIY solution is to split the bedroom A/C unit on to a separate circuit with its own 15-20 amp power cord that you plug in separately at the campsite power pedestal.

The best solution is to hire an electrician to upgrade your TT to 50-amp service. Despite the name, 50-amp service provides 2-50 amp 120v lines into your Rv. With 100 amps total you can run everything all at once. This job is well documented on the internet.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s been talked about here that the 30-amp Minnie travel trailers that optionally had two A/C units have a built in EMS to shed loads as necessary. The idea being that you turn on both A/Cs and the EMS (Energy Management System) controls the loads to keep from popping a breaker.

Winnebago bragged that this let you run everything on 30-amps because the EMS would shed some loads to let others run. However, we’ve had many that bought this TT and found it to not be true. Some said they had called Winnebago and complained… to no avail.

There is even a YouTube video made when the TT was introduced with the Winnebago rep bragging about how they have made the impossible possible.

As to solutions, there are several. As mentioned, installing SoftStarts on both A/Cs is the most common one. Two of these would cost about $600 and can be DIY installed. Another popular DIY solution is to split the bedroom A/C unit on to a separate circuit with its own 15-20 amp power cord that you plug in separately at the campsite power pedestal.

The best solution is to hire an electrician to upgrade your TT to 50-amp service. Despite the name, 50-amp service provides 2-50 amp 120v lines into your Rv. With 100 amps total you can run everything all at once. This job is well documented on the internet.
This makes sense. Didn't know the option came with EMS. Seems to me WBGO could have helped themselves with two 13k BTU units, but perhaps overly confident in the ability to shed.

I am gonna assume this unit does NOT have a generator? If true, then converting to 50 amp would be simple enough. Although, I still find it hard to believe that a 15k btu would not freeze that trailer, but having both would certainly cool down the coach twice as fast which I tend to take for granted. I don't OP would want to have plug up two shore cords.

May be worth learning what Winnebago is telling folks, because this sounds like a defect to me? If it is still under warranty that is.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
It may be possible to run them both but the problem arises when they cycle, as the compressor draws a considerable amount when it restarts, so soft starts or easy starts (which eliminate the sudden high amp draw) may work for you. You could also buy an EMS with a display to monitor how many amps you are using at a given time, this way you can keep it under control. If they can both run at the same time, then the soft starts will enable them to cycle on and off without overloading the circuit. You won't be able to use much else besides maybe the TV and a few lights, as mentioned the converter can be quite a draw if it is charging your batteries. Also bear in mind if your supply voltage sags (common at RV parks or with small cords) the AC units, being inductive, will increase amp draw to a point where they can trip breakers and/or damage themselves. Some sort of EMS is just about a necessity especially in crowded campgrounds.
Hi Brian,

Forgive my newbie question, but is EMS the same as Watchdog? We do have a Watchdog, and my husband and I have been trying out everything that pulls current to see how many amps are required. The Watchdog app tells us how many amps are being used. Oh, yes, we have absolutely seen where we start one A/C unit, let it run for a few mins, start the second one, and then the breaker trips. Similarly with the microwave. I have to turn off the A/C in order to use the microwave. :( We will look into SoftStart, thank you!! Similar to what others have posted, I feel like WBGO should make this right. It is still under warranty and it sounds like it was a stretch for them to do it to begin with.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This makes sense. Didn't know the option came with EMS. Seems to me WBGO could have helped themselves with two 13k BTU units, but perhaps overly confident in the ability to shed.

I am gonna assume this unit does NOT have a generator? If true, then converting to 50 amp would be simple enough. Although, I still find it hard to believe that a 15k btu would not freeze that trailer, but having both would certainly cool down the coach twice as fast which I tend to take for granted. I don't OP would want to have plug up two shore cords.

May be worth learning what Winnebago is telling folks, because this sounds like a defect to me? If it is still under warranty that is.
No generator, that is correct.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Yes, the main unit works very well in the cabin and bathroom, but there is only one duct in the bedroom so we were excited to see a second unit in there. Our intent was to run the bedroom unit at night but keep the main unit on low. With the bedroom door closed, the main cabin gets stuffy when just the bedroom unit is running in these hot southern summers, and I get up earlier to have coffee, etc. I like the option of upgrading to 50 amp! Sounds like that would solve everything. The RV is currently in the shop to get warranty work done. I think I will ask about that.

Oh, and I just read the description that was posted about what EMS is…thank you! My husband just reminded me that, while this unit was supposed to come with an EMS, it does not. The technician where we are getting it serviced showed my husband where to check in the RV, and they confirmed that it is not present.

All of the comments and replies are so very helpful…not only the advice, but just knowing that we are not crazy. When we had the sales dept confirm that both A/C units worked prior to buying the TT, they had both running concurrently, but they were not using a surge protector. We were too new to RV’ing to know to check then, but we have since spoken to the salesperson and they confirmed that they didn’t use a surge protector when demonstrating the A/C units. All the blogs I read say that surge protectors are mandatory, so we were surprised that they were not used at the sales dept. In fact, the technician at the RV dealership thinks that using Watchdog may be our issue. :O. But not using it is dangerous, isn’t it?
Old 09-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Brian,

Forgive my newbie question, but is EMS the same as Watchdog? We do have a Watchdog, and my husband and I have been trying out everything that pulls current to see how many amps are required. The Watchdog app tells us how many amps are being used. Oh, yes, we have absolutely seen where we start one A/C unit, let it run for a few mins, start the second one, and then the breaker trips. Similarly with the microwave. I have to turn off the A/C in order to use the microwave. :( We will look into SoftStart, thank you!! Similar to what others have posted, I feel like WBGO should make this right. It is still under warranty and it sounds like it was a stretch for them to do it to begin with.
It could be, Hughes makes both a surge protector and an EMS. The EMS would alert you to faulty power conditions and prevent power from entering your RV is a faulty condition exists and would cost around $200-$300. A simple surge protector would cost less, probably around $100 and will display power faults but will not do things like shut off to prevent low or high voltage from entering your RV, or reverse polarity power or ungrounded power from entering like the true EMS will.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, the main unit works very well in the cabin and bathroom, but there is only one duct in the bedroom so we were excited to see a second unit in there. Our intent was to run the bedroom unit at night but keep the main unit on low. With the bedroom door closed, the main cabin gets stuffy when just the bedroom unit is running in these hot southern summers, and I get up earlier to have coffee, etc. I like the option of upgrading to 50 amp! Sounds like that would solve everything. The RV is currently in the shop to get warranty work done. I think I will ask about that.

Oh, and I just read the description that was posted about what EMS is…thank you! My husband just reminded me that, while this unit was supposed to come with an EMS, it does not. The technician where we are getting it serviced showed my husband where to check in the RV, and they confirmed that it is not present.

All of the comments and replies are so very helpful…not only the advice, but just knowing that we are not crazy. When we had the sales dept confirm that both A/C units worked prior to buying the TT, they had both running concurrently, but they were not using a surge protector. We were too new to RV’ing to know to check then, but we have since spoken to the salesperson and they confirmed that they didn’t use a surge protector when demonstrating the A/C units. All the blogs I read say that surge protectors are mandatory, so we were surprised that they were not used at the sales dept. In fact, the technician at the RV dealership thinks that using Watchdog may be our issue. :O. But not using it is dangerous, isn’t it?

Here is what I suggest.

#1. Since under warranty. Send an email to Winnebago formally documenting the problem with your Serial #. Keep it very simple, and short. i.e. both AC units will not run without tripping breaker. Although you may quote the Dealer if they confirm no EMS is installed. Wait two days and call to follow up on your email if they have not responded.

#2. Send us the info on your Watchdog, exact model etc. I have Southwire Surge Protector & the EMS unit that shows the amperage on both legs of my 50 amps. I assume you have the same with Watchdog for 30amp (one leg). For me those units are for protecting the sources of power and their potential associated issues.

#3. Confirm you can run with 30 amp services with no issues with the Watchdog removed? They are NOT mandatory but highly advisable. I never connect to Park Pedestal without checking 1st, then I plug in.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When we had the sales dept confirm that both A/C units worked prior to buying the TT, they had both running concurrently, but they were not using a surge protector. We were too new to RV’ing to know to check then, but we have since spoken to the salesperson and they confirmed that they didn’t use a surge protector when demonstrating the A/C units.
I suspect they had everything else off and the batteries were fully charged. Also, how long did they actually let them run and how hot was the weather? Those 2 things make a big difference. You can overload a circuit by a few amps and get away with it for a while before the breaker trips, a few minutes is not a conclusive test. Using a surge protector should not have any negative effects whatsoever, the amount of power it consumes is like a BB in a dump truck full of gravel.

Also, I didn't mention this before because it is such a long shot, but a restricted intake will cause a unit to draw excessive current so make sure your filters are clean and there is no restriction at the intake. (It would have to be a substantial restriction, not just some dust)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hi Brian,

The salesperson said that she started both units about 20 minutes before we arrived and it was probably high 80's that day in Myrtle Beach, SC. I don't think they were worried about the Watchdog pulling amps. I got the sense that they were saying that both units would run at the same time if we did not use a surge protector...much like when they first showed us the TT.

MB
Old 09-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Here is what I suggest.

#1. Since under warranty. Send an email to Winnebago formally documenting the problem with your Serial #. Keep it very simple, and short. i.e. both AC units will not run without tripping breaker. Although you may quote the Dealer if they confirm no EMS is installed. Wait two days and call to follow up on your email if they have not responded.

#2. Send us the info on your Watchdog, exact model etc. I have Southwire Surge Protector & the EMS unit that shows the amperage on both legs of my 50 amps. I assume you have the same with Watchdog for 30amp (one leg). For me those units are for protecting the sources of power and their potential associated issues.

#3. Confirm you can run with 30 amp services with no issues with the Watchdog removed? They are NOT mandatory but highly advisable. I never connect to Park Pedestal without checking 1st, then I plug in.
Thank you!! We will do that!!

We have not been brave enough to try to run either both A/C units or 1 A/C unit + microwave at the same time without the surge protector attached, based on what we read. :(
Old 09-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #18
Site Team

Here’s the YouTube video:

And here a previous thread on this topic:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...aw-360190.html
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! The video makes it sound like there should be no issue with starting up the second unit when the first is being used. Sigh. My husband pointed out that he is misusing the term "EMS", though. There is no Energy Management System onboard...it is an Electrical Management Switch.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you!! We will do that!!

We have not been brave enough to try to run either both A/C units or 1 A/C unit + microwave at the same time without the surge protector attached, based on what we read. :(
I don't think that Surge Protector is a factor. It would just help you to eliminate what dealer told you.

As stated by another poster, that Surge Protector is just to ensure clean power. Running without the protector at location you have proven is okay is not going to be an issue. Besides, all that goes wrong with overload of current is a tripped breaker.

Your issue is likely the lack of EMS, that name may be called many things because in my coach it is actually called Power Control System. PCS Point is it does what the guy in the video says and I have 100 amps total to play with.

I have not read the thread in the link, and don't I know the history, but I can't wait to read how WBGO claims it is NOT a warrant issue? Seems like at a minimum, they send you a energy (power) management system and let you work with a dealer to have it installed. Maybe they were not able to get the parts during covid when it was being made? I have seen where some coaches didn't have parts they should have had; like a rear ladder because of part availability. Fine print somewhere

Tags
travel