Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I don't think that Surge Protector is a factor. It would just help you to eliminate what dealer told you.

As stated by another poster, that Surge Protector is just to ensure clean power. Running without the protector at location you have proven is okay is not going to be an issue. Besides, all that goes wrong with overload of current is a tripped breaker.

Your issue is likely the lack of EMS, that name may be called many things because in my coach it is actually called Power Control System. PCS Point is it does what the guy in the video says and I have 100 amps total to play with.

I have not read the thread in the link, and don't I know the history, but I can't wait to read how WBGO claims it is NOT a warrant issue? Seems like at a minimum, they send you a energy (power) management system and let you work with a dealer to have it installed. Maybe they were not able to get the parts during covid when it was being made? I have seen where some coaches didn't have parts they should have had; like a rear ladder because of part availability. Fine print somewhere
Very, very helpful…thank you so much! We completely agree with you. Even the owner’s manual states that “a second air conditioner requires 50 amp service”. We will see. Winnebago is a great company and I am going to have faith that this will be corrected and that they will not deliberately refuse to address this issue.
Mbconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I have the same issue with my Minnie. I'm unable to run both AC units at the same time, and I mean with no other electric being used.
I bought my trailer about 3 months ago. I now look at Winnebago's website for my model and it's now listed as a 50 amp trailer.
I'll be taking mine back to the dealership.
Wdgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdgranger View Post
I have the same issue with my Minnie. I'm unable to run both AC units at the same time, and I mean with no other electric being used.
I bought my trailer about 3 months ago. I now look at Winnebago's website for my model and it's now listed as a 50 amp trailer.
I'll be taking mine back to the dealership.
Yes! We saw that our same unit went to 50 amp two months after we bought it! ����. Would you please let me know what happens when you take it back? We are in the initial stages of fighting this same battle.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Out of curiosity are the new 50 amp models with two 13.5k btu units or still with one 13.5k and one 15k?

Knowing everything we have learned getting 50 amps service is your best long term approach. I can't see how WBGO could have screwed that up? But given they did, it matters greatly to me to learn how they intend to fix?

To WBGO credit, when I was 1st shopping and looking at the Intent, they only had 1 AC, I asked about adding a second after he fact, and they were adamant about No. Not just due to electrical but something about the mount of the would be 2nd unit. I passed and bought unit with 2 ACs and 50 amps.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Out of curiosity are the new 50 amp models with two 13.5k btu units or still with one 13.5k and one 15k?

Knowing everything we have learned getting 50 amps service is your best long term approach. I can see how WBGO could have screwed that up? But given they did, it matters greatly to me to learn how they intend to fix?

To WBGO credit, when I was 1st shopping and looking at the Intent, they only had 1 AC, I asked about adding a second after he fact, and they were adamant about No. Not just due to electrical but something about the mount of the would be 2nd unit. I passed and bought unit with 2 ACs and 50 amps.
I just looked it up, and the 50 amp unit has a 15k main a/c u it and a 13.5k in the bedroom. I can’t see how they could NOT fix this since they obviously knew this was an issue and it is still under warranty. Fingers crossed
Old 09-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbconnolly View Post
I just looked it up, and the 50 amp unit has a 15k main a/c u it and a 13.5k in the bedroom. I can’t see how they could NOT fix this since they obviously knew this was an issue and it is still under warranty. Fingers crossed
Do you know how to access the WBGO site to get the electrical drawings for your coach? I would do that and and do the same for one of newer models. Compare the two post the two and someone may be able to look at to tell exactly what is different. The Information may be power for you later as leverage. I am not the expert but may easier said than done.

This is what I guess would be involved and someone may chime in to add or correct as required.

1. New 50 amp connector with Shorepower ($100 )
2. New 50 amp rated wiring to your Main Breaker panel, two legs L1 and L2, hopefully the run is not too long. ($150)
3. New 50 amp breaker Panel ($150)
4. Labor: Install & Rewiring of all of the electrical connections to the new breaker panel per the new Minnie's schematic (4 hrs @ 175each = $700

So total cost may be $1,100 for some perspective. If WBGO sends you connector & wiring you may save $250. If Dealer you bought from are worth anything they maybe they cut the labor in half and throw in the wiring? That could saver another $500 and you would only be out $350

Problem is then solved.

I state this as option as they may try to sidestep a warranty claim if it can run both in some conditions? I would drop the reference to your Watchdog as it is not a factor. One would reasonably assume to be able to run 2 ACs in the hottest temperatures you would encounter so they can't (shouldn't) hide behind that.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Do you know how to access the WBGO site to get the electrical drawings for your coach? I would do that and and do the same for one of newer models. Compare the two post the two and someone may be able to look at to tell exactly what is different. The Information may be power for you later as leverage. I am not the expert but may easier said than done.

This is what I guess would be involved and someone may chime in to add or correct as required.

2. New 50 amp rated wiring to your Main Breaker panel, two legs L1 and L2, hopefully the run is not too long. ($150)
4. Labor: Install & Rewiring of all of the electrical connections to the new breaker panel per the new Minnie's schematic (4 hrs @ 175each = $700

So total cost may be $1,100 for some perspective. If WBGO sends you connector & wiring you may save $250. If Dealer you bought from are worth anything they maybe they cut the labor in half and throw in the wiring? That could saver another $500 and you would only be out $350

Problem is then solved.

I state this as option as they may try to sidestep a warranty claim if it can run both in some conditions? I would drop the reference to your Watchdog as it is not a factor. One would reasonably assume to be able to run 2 ACs in the hottest temperatures you would encounter so they can't (shouldn't) hide behind that.
No, we don’t know how to get the schematics. Could you (or anyone else here) tell us how to find them? What a helpful email…thank you so much!
Old 09-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
No, we don’t know how to get the schematics. Could you (or anyone else here) tell us how to find them? What a helpful email…thank you so much!
This is site for Winnebago Electrical drawing. You start by year of your Coach / Trailer.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

You may need serial number but sometimes model number gets you you there.

There is Owner Resources that has everything that you should play with. The above link takes you direct to electrical.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

Notwithstanding your issue, I find Winnebago awesomemous I was looking at cheaper coaches; but soon learned that I got a lot from Winnebago that I didn't know I need or had with my coach.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This is site for Winnebago Electrical drawing. You start by year of your Coach / Trailer.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

You may need serial number but sometimes model number gets you you there.

There is Owner Resources that has everything that you should play with. The above link takes you direct to electrical.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

Notwithstanding your issue, I find Winnebago awesomemous I was looking at cheaper coaches; but soon learned that I got a lot from Winnebago that I didn't know I need or had with my coach.
It looks like those specs do not include travel trailers, but let me try the other link!
Old 09-18-2022, 07:06 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Problem is then solved.

Typo: It should have read...

If WBGO sends you connector & 50 amp breaker panel you may save $250.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It looks like those specs do not include travel trailers, but let me try the other link!
You are right

The other link is the parent for owners of Motorhomes. I guess Trailer may have it's own link? You may wish to post that question to this forum to the Winnebago Trailer group? I assume there is a section for Trailer owners.

In the meantime, I did find this on Winnebago site.

50-Amp Service with 2nd A/C Prep (Effective 12/13/21)
15,000 BTU Roof A/C (Effective 6/1/2022, Updated Exterior Height TBD)
Heated and Enclosed Holding Tanks
Radiant Foil Insulation
12-Volt Holding Tank Pad Heaters with Interior Switch

Optional Equipment:
Additional Bedroom Mounted 13,500 BTU A/C (Effective 6/1/2022, Updated Exterior Height TBD)

When was you Trailer made or when did you get?
If your trailer is 2021, you got the 15BTU BEFORE they say it was effective

That video might have been major error by the Product Manager? You could also try calling him too. Assuming he still has a job

FWIW, I see your Trailer is almost 30' long, you absolutely no doubt about it need two AC's and both must work; and you should be able to pop popcorn at the same time
Old 09-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

A 30A breaker means that is the maximum intermittent amperage it will withstand. The constant duty is more like 28A sustained amperes.
There is a workaround to your 2 A/C's situation. If you are good working with 120VAC electrical wiring, install a 3-way wall switch to control the smaller A/C unit and microwave; ie: one or the other.
This way all 3 large draw appliances cannot be operated at the same time.
With 2 of the 3 large draw appliances running, you don't have very little excess capacity remaining.

There is also the possibility of installing a Micro-Air Easy-start unit to each A/C motor/compressor. This avoids the instant large amp draw of both A/C's starting up at the same time and tripping the main pedestal breaker.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Problem is then solved.

I just realized I omitted a Power Management System (EMS).

So I am gonna revise my estimate per below.

5. New Power Control System (EMS) ($200)
6. Labor to Install the PCS / EMS (2 hrs @ 175 each = $350

So total cost may be $1,650 for some perspective. If WBGO sends you 50 amp connector, 50 amp breaker panel and PCDS/EMS you may save $450. If Dealer you bought from are worth anything; they maybe they cut the labor in half and throw in the wiring? That could save another $675 and you would only be out $525
Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A 30A breaker means that is the maximum intermittent amperage it will withstand. The constant duty is more like 28A sustained amperes.
There is a workaround to your 2 A/C's situation. If you are good working with 120VAC electrical wiring, install a 3-way wall switch to control the smaller A/C unit and microwave; ie: one or the other.
This way all 3 large draw appliances cannot be operated at the same time.
With 2 of the 3 large draw appliances running, you don't have very little excess capacity remaining.

There is also the possibility of installing a Micro-Air Easy-start unit to each A/C motor/compressor. This avoids the instant large amp draw of both A/C's starting up at the same time and tripping the main pedestal breaker.
I see a problem with that solution. Most RV air conditioners use a 12 volt thermostat controlled by the 12 volt system and the compressor delay is incorporated into the thermostat. If 120 volt power is interrupted to the air conditioner but not to the thermostat, the unit will try and restart when the 120 volt power is restored. If the switch gets flipped momentarily then flipped back this will force the compressor to attempt a restart with high head pressure which may be a problem.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:20 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I asked another seasoned poster who is very proficient with Winnebago diagrams and drawings. He said the below.
"Trailers are not well supported online and I know of no sites for them!"
Old 09-19-2022, 10:46 PM   #36
Site Team

Towables are completely separate within Winnebago and there are no Owner’s Resources websites with any parts, electrical, plumbing, etc information . Never has been any of this information available. Individual owners of Winnebago towables can contact Towables customer service and request specific details about their TT and the company does many times provide usable information.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
All the current W links are in a sticky at the top of the Winnebago forum on irv2.com.
They go back to 1999 best I remember.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
All the current W links are in a sticky at the top of the Winnebago forum on irv2.com.
They go back to 1999 best I remember.
Not for towable Winnebagos!

There are no online parts or schematics documents for towables. There never has been.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Our Winnebago RV dealer finally called me about my 2022 Micro 2529RG.
Winnebago has authorized them to upgrade my trailer to a 50 amp along with another one that they have in their lot.
Wdgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #40
Site Team

Now that's some good news right there!!

Tags
travel