Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Microsoft Streets & Trips

Taking a poll on irv2. If you like (or don't) S&T please take the poll: Microsoft Streets & Trips question - iRV2 Forums
Thanks.
Rick
Old 09-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Wow, are they still making Streets & Trips? I haven't used that in years.

ETA--nevermind. I see that you want it reinstated.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

With all the GPS, MapQuest, and other sources available for free I stopped using Microsoft Street maps
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We really, really liked streets and trips and were quite happy with it vs other programs at that time. But, ever since its demise, well, we've just migrated to whatever's been available. I'd like to see it return but, I doubt that's gonna happen.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Whew! I had to go back and Google MS S&T to remember it. Last release was in 2006ish. IIRC, S&T was about as good as the DeLorme maping/planning program at the time. Some good features but miserable human interface (even by the day's standards) and I needed to run it on a lap top in the car. You needed a magnifying glass to read the screen.

Even back in the day, Garmin had them whipped by a mile. Much easier to use and you could set the device on the dash top and have 'real' GPS such as it was back in the day.

Trying to recall the name of a Garmin competitor (Euro company). It wasn't too bad but not the same as Garmin.

I think I'd pass on MS S&T and step right up to Garmin or an iPad/Android program like WAZE.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Team

12 year old software? That’s like 60-years in Internet years.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
12 year old software? That’s like 60-years in Internet years.
Last published in 2013. It is still the best standalone GPS Windows PS software running. Not perfect, true. But you won't loos your signal unless you are in tunnels or trees. Both are hard to find in the remote paths many of us travel when going coat to coast or boarder to border here in the USA. Cell phone and WiFi services are restricted to the more populated regions and not always available on the interstates. If S&T were brought back and updated it would be a great reward to us full timers and long distance vacationers. Those who have not tried it have missed out. Delorme was never a easy program to use for me but Streets & Trips was, for the most part, very user friendly and POI updateable.

Happy trails and thanks for expressing your opinion.
Rick
Old 09-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I still use S&T as a trip planner. I have the 2013 ver. which is the last ver. sold. I never used it as a GPS, just as a trip planner. Not needing internet connection on a trip to Alaska was a big plus. It is nice to be able to print out a map of a town. A GPS cannot do some of the things I can do with S&T. Streets in towns don't really change much. I use a GPS for traveling in the motor home and I use S&T and a GPS as two separate tools. S&T is very easy to use. I will continue to use S&T as long as I can load it into a computer or something better comes along.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
I still use S&T as a trip planner. I have the 2013 ver. which is the last ver. sold. I never used it as a GPS, just as a trip planner. Not needing internet connection on a trip to Alaska was a big plus. It is nice to be able to print out a map of a town. A GPS cannot do some of the things I can do with S&T. Streets in towns don't really change much. I use a GPS for traveling in the motor home and I use S&T and a GPS as two separate tools. S&T is very easy to use. I will continue to use S&T as long as I can load it into a computer or something better comes along.
-X2-
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have used S&T since we first got our coach in 2005 and I still use the 2013 S&T as a trip planner and a GPS moving map when travelling. I have it on an old laptop running Windows XP (never connects to the internet so not a security risk) and I run the display to the center-mounted overhead TV so that both I and the passengers can see where we are and where we're going. Works great! I find it extremely valuable. I have no ability or desire to be connected to the internet while driving.

I would gladly purchase a new version every year or so if that would give me updated mapping and campground data--I don't care about any feature updates. Maybe Microsoft could just release updated data files for the existing 2013 product--that would meet all of my needs.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I too use S&T and have since before Microsoft purchased it (on an XT no less).

I currently also use RV Trip Planner online and Garmin Base Camp to plan out our yearly Winter Escape. I use Google Earth a lot too.

There are features I like about all three but I can print out more useful maps with S&T and the driving directions contain more of the information I need. Unfortunately the maps are out of date and there is no accommodation for indicating potential non RV friendly routes.

I recently contacted Maptitude to see if they would be adding RV/Trucker specific facilities. They indicated that could be coming as they are getting a lot of requests for the features.

That software claims to be able to use the S&T files directly. It appears they have focused most improvements for fleet (commercial) routing but it also appears they have retained all of the other features. This, to me looks to be the closest thing out there to S&T.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Maptitude???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
I too use S&T and have since before Microsoft purchased it (on an XT no less).

I currently also use RV Trip Planner online and Garmin Base Camp to plan out our yearly Winter Escape. I use Google Earth a lot too.

There are features I like about all three but I can print out more useful maps with S&T and the driving directions contain more of the information I need. Unfortunately the maps are out of date and there is no accommodation for indicating potential non RV friendly routes.

I recently contacted Maptitude to see if they would be adding RV/Trucker specific facilities. They indicated that could be coming as they are getting a lot of requests for the features.

That software claims to be able to use the S&T files directly. It appears they have focused most improvements for fleet (commercial) routing but it also appears they have retained all of the other features. This, to me looks to be the closest thing out there to S&T.
I just looked at Maptitude. I had never heard of it. What I saw was $695 and I could not see where it was an active GPS like S&T.

Seeing you have a relationship with these folks, though only through email, you might suggest to them that they obtain S&T and bring it back to life. I would even pay $100 for a fresh, up to date copy of it.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
Wandering Winnie

Streets & Trips

S&T is a very useful tool when planning a trip. I really miss the updates. My copy is 2011, got the 13 copy also, but lost the the key code. Having changed computers numerous times over the years, the original box was misplaced. But like one person said, roads don't change much. The phone apps are ok, but I like the big screen of my laptop or desktop. Come on Microsoft bring it back.
kc8kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

It is my primary trip planer. I would buy a new version if they made one. gps
gpScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Well I didn't use S&T with a gps directly. I just exported the .gpx to my Garmin RV GPS.

This year, for the first year, I did not use S&T very much to plan this escape.

Yes the 695 is a big chunk. I suspect that is due to the focus on commercial. I really don't have much of a relationship with them. I don't expect them to pick up S&T but perhaps they might be capable of producing a somewhat focused RV version.

If others think that would be something they want, I would suggest also emailing them with that desire. If they see a potential market they might consider. One person emailing does not constitute a market
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I’ve been planning my trips with RVTRIPWIZARD for last 3 years and import trip into my Garmin(s) GPS. I love the ability to plan each day with stops, fuel, CG in one place is great.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote