Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
W38
Winnebago Camper

EMS issues 2010 Journey Express 34Y

Hi all,
My 2010 34y has no power to the Norcold or the Engine Heater. I have power to the circuit breaker side of relay #2 but no output to the receptacles. My assumption is that the EMS control module has failed. Can anyone confirm or suggest other possible issues?

Thank you

Gene
W38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does the fridge work on LP? If it does than means the 12V part is working,as it requires 12V to operate the controls.
What power source does your EMS indicate, 50,30, or 20A? Describe the results when you run the genset for AC power.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not at all up on what you have but if possible, can you see it easy to swap the output wires from relay 1 to relay 2 and see if the problem stays on relay 2 that would now be serving the water heater?

Sorry, not seen one of these in like a hundred years so might assume them to have changed! That leaves me open to making silly suggestions!
Idea seems to help prove the problem is with relay 2 but not worth much if dealing with some solid state gizmo that can't get to the wiring!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 02:36 PM   #4
W38
Winnebago Camper

EMS issues 2010 Journey Express 34Y Reply to Thread

Fridge itself is OK (for now ) - if I power it from a live receptacle it works fine. Just no power at fridge receptacle or Engine Heater receptacle. If I jumper the hot side of the relay to the output side the receptacles work. Not leaving it that way - just a test.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would say, you have it pinned down pretty close! So is this anything that has a brand and model so we could look at how it is wired and what might have happened? Is it an open setup with relays that one could change (in theory!) or is it now a set of chips and solid state that is nearly impossible?
Just top of the head idea is that it could be several things like the control wiring to a relay is not good, the relay itself is bad or the contacts bad.
Seems we throw a lot of things out just because we can't find and fix the twenty cent part that has failed!

But life is what it is and there are lots of things we can't change!

I might guess you have looked it over and know that the load shedder might be something you can leave wired around if you choose with a little thought before you do run all the things it controls at one time.

For instance, I might think you would not need the water heater at the same time as the engine heater and the then the frig could be turned off using 110AC at the correct time to avoid using more than one of these items at a time???
Maybe some thoughts on how to do a workaround until you can get the load shedder back?
Since all these are pretty much heating elements, I might guess the trick would be to rotate each when really needed?
Old 03-07-2024, 06:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You most likely have a tripped GFCI receptacle somewhere, check the bathroom and the kitchen area for one.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think he has it right and the relay 2 of the load shedder is a problem as the frig and block heater are a question. But I don't know enough about the load shedder to suggest how to best work around it!
Maybe verify that jumper for line 2 to make sure it is not something simple like that?

Click for better view of what we are thinking.
Click image for larger version

Name:	load.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	188466
Old 03-08-2024, 12:39 PM   #8
W38
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone,
I will re-check my connections & GFCI's but I think I'm headed in the right direction. If I need to replace the module Winnebago has them in stock.
Thanks again
Gene

Tags
journey, ems