Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Journey Express??

I guess this is the new Destination so I'm asking about this model. I currently have a fifth wheel with a combined weight of 22,000lbs. The truck is a Ford 6.0 with a 325hp and 570tq. I am happy with this setup. Plenty of power and the handling is good with no sway and very comfortable. Given that info how would a 39N compare power wise, handling etc.? I've never driven a class A before and like the floorplan but am wondering if the chassis is maybe a bit under for this size. I would also be pulling a car....say 4000lbs or so. Also I live in MD and would mostly be traveling flat ground though I would be traveling up through PA and NY from time to time so 8% grades would be possible. I might get to see one at a show this fall so I'll be able to see build quality but to current owners how satisfied are you with the overall quality of the unit? I know this is a "low end" unit but overall if not used for full time use but for vacation use are they decent. I would hate to make such a large purchase and find out that it is inadequate powerwise or quality wise and should have spent more to get a better unit. Thanks for any info Aaron
Aarondeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hey Aaron,

I've been doing a ton of research and am looking at similar coaches as you.
I also have a 3/4 ton Duramax CCSB 4x4 I tow a 5th wheel with, around 21k combined currently.
My wife and I are also considering the Journey 34Y, not the 39N that you are interested in.
I've driven the 34Y 2009 and with this coach, after all my research and driving it, I am confident it will tow my 7k lb toad dmax reasonably well.
The wet weight of the 34Y is 24,200k roughly.

Here is what I believe to be the most important info for you to find out.
The 2009 Journey is the 39Z. I strongly recommend considering this year coach as it comes with the Allison 3000 and is truely rated to tow 10k lbs.
You will have much more CCC on this model.
The new 2010 39N (not Z) (and this applies to the 34Y as well) comes with the Allison 2500, and although it has a 10k rated hitch, if your at your max GVWR, then you can safely only tow 5k. I have a feeling these 39 models are going to be a bit heavier which in turn means you'll be sniffing the max GVWR before you even hook up your 4k lb toad. Sure the coach will handle it, but I'm a bit fan of having at least a somewhat overbuilt coach, vs. being close to maxed out which I feel you will be on the 2010 39N with that tranny.

Great rigs, the quality is really there, a lot I like about them. I really want to be under 36ft end to end. Considering a Tiffin Phaeton 36, but I have heard they are 39 ft end to end so that may be ruled out.

Hope this helps...happy hunting
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for info. I guess I forgot to mention the 39N floorplan has the bunkbeds which is what I'm looking for. This is the same floorplan in the 2009 Destination and the 2010 Journey Express. The Journey is a step up in chassis from the Express from what I've seen. I wish they would put this floorplan in the Journey model. It seems like all the mfgs are doing this smaller setup with their bunkbed models. Tiffin is doing this. I think Fleetwood,Newmar and Presidio are putting in the larger transmissions to allow for greater torque but their bunkbeds are in the hallway which is fine but this floorplan seems very unique allowing the kids to technically have their own room and we can have access to the front of the coach going through the bathroom. Neat floorplan. Again thanks for the info. Aaron
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Aaron.....Just be aware the Journey Express only has the ISB 340 motor with only 660 lbs of torque. Not much of a motor. The Journey on the other hand has the ISC 360 HP motor with 1050 lbs torque.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah that does stink. From all I've looked at only the Presidio runs the larger Cummins. All the others run the smaller one with the Journey Express, Tiffin, and Damon Astoria running the smaller Allison 2500 also. The Newmar Ventanna and Fleetwood Discovery run the Allison 3000 I think which allows 7-800tq which is better. I guess their trying to keep cost down so they can appeal to families like me with young kids. Oh well, I'm still 2yrs out from seriously making a decision so maybe by then they'll change things up. That is a nice floorplan though.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey becks,
Curious what you think about that ISB 6.7L with the Allison 3000 in the 2009 model Journey's. It gives you 10 more hp, and 750 ft-lb torque vs. 660 in the 340hp Express Journey.
I drove it and it drives pretty nice. My toad will be a 7k lb ccsb duramax, so I do need the coach to be capable. The #'s line up really nicely on these 2009 Journey's so curious what you think about that.

My gut feeling is the very comparable msrp of the Tiffin Phaeton 36 with the 8.3L 1050 torque is a better equipped coach for only 3k more in weight.
I love this Journey, but I feel Winney is a solid 15-20k OVERpriced on msrp when you compare the two.
Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Manke....your research is right on. The 350 is only a small step up. The 8.3L is a big improvement. Get the Allison 3000 also. I too feel that Tiffin is the best bang for the buck in the RV market today.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote