Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I thought I knew a lot of stuff about my rig but, boy, have I been humbled.

I have to put the dreaded converter boxes on the tvs in my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get either TV or the VCR out. I looked for screws, bungs, levers, tie downs and I can see nothing.

The VCR looks like it just might be velcroed down, but when I tried to gently pry it up it wouldn't budge.

Has anyone here been successful at removing any of these items?
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2005 Suncruiser and found that the TV could be accessed using the two compartments on each side. Look inside those compartments for screws to take the front wood molding off. I believe there were two screws on each side and can be located just inside the compartment and screwed into the fascade parallel to the ground. Once that is off you can see how the rest was assembled. I believe there is a strap surrounding the top and sides of the tv which are bolted down to a steel base.
I have little doubt that the VCR is attached using velcro. Use a butter knife or something similar and you should be able to release the velcro to limit the amount of upward pull to dislodge the VCR. I did have a remote CD player that was screwed down but don't think that is the case with the VCR. Good luck
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yep, industrial strength velcro under the VCR. You won't be able to "gently" pry it up...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I Agree on the industrial strength. If the hook and loop stuff is the black plastic type, then you almost need to pry the stuff apart. Use something that wont damage the wood and plastic. It seems pulling and jerking would almost break surrounding stuff... like the ceiling after elbow hits it!! The glue they use to attach the plastic hook and loop is equally tough!!!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would access the TV/VCR at the Winnegard video control box. Both the TV and VCR have cabling that terminates at the video control switch box.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I saw where the screws are for the front TV. But I still don't see how to gain access to the rear TV. From the looks of it, it is secured with the same velcro as the VCR. Plus there is a small metal pin that comes up from the frame and goes into the bottom of the TV.

Looks like I will have to pry a little harder to get the VCR out.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for all the help.
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddyP:

The VCR looks like it just might be velcroed down, but when I tried to gently pry it up it wouldn't budge.

I used a putty knife to pry apart the velcro strips.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddyP:
BuddyP, I removed the VCR and introduced it to a dumpster.

I installed the digital converter in the VCR jacks on the switch center. Now I have analog over the air TV, park cable, satellite and digital TV.

I think I also saw an 8-Track in the bottom of the dumpster as well .... too bad I have a zillion VCR tapes. I still have a new VCR in the house but it's not hooked up. I haven't watched a VCR tape in almost 2 years.

About the Industrial strength Velcro, I'm using it on a digital coveter box in my bedroom. I have the thing attached to the underside of my TV cabinet. Holding great!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

BuddyP,
if you are going to remove the rear TV, you may find that it's held in place with a steel band around its front circumfrence. The one in my 04 33V is that way, and in addition to the tension nuts on the band, its also "silicone glued" to the TV at the upper corners.. A real pain to remove.As to releasing that industrial velcro, a couple of long probes, I use large screwdrivers, forced "between" the layers of Velcro, and strong, unrelenting pressure will release it. One advantage to using screwdrivers, is that once inserted, you can twist them to start the release.. Maybe Winnebago should have used that stuff to attach all the hoods, engine covers, light brackets etc. that have departed their bases ....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote