Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1 View Post
Twenty five years of trucking and I never heard of that. Diminished flashing, I believe, is due to lack of courtesy more than anything.

However waving someone to go ahead, go first, enter an intersection, make a turn in front of you etc has ended badly with law suits involved. Let them make the decision to proceed safely.

Old time trucker and Safety coordinator,
Steve, I have been driving since 1957, cars, trucks, RV's, etc., and when I say "diminshed," it is a word I used to describe that the majority of 18 wheeler drivers on the road today do not "thank" a person that flashes them that it is safe to pull in like they have in past years.

My smart wheel has two buttons. One is for headlights and the other for markers. I use the headlight one to flash safety and the markers to thank the truckers. I don't abuse either one of them but I can truthfully say that when I flash that it is safe to pull in, 1 out of 10 might "say thank you." No kidding. Some time ago all truckers would thank me, so what has happened?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
Busycakes

Courtesy is never outdated.

Don’t get a thank you every time I hold a door open for someone but still do it.
Busycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Very early in life I drove semi's etc for some 20 years and literally millions of miles before going to the Sheriff's Academy. Not sure how tractor trailers are now but it use to be for the trailer lights it was a toggle switch, just a couple of flicks and you delivered your "Thank You"
I think now truck drivers have been trained (hopefully) to allow plenty of room before moving back over and it could even be against their company policy to signal with lights. I still signal to bring tractor trailers "back in", don't need a thank you for doing something to maybe help another out.I always appreciated it way back when. We all share the road together. I know it seems at times truck drivers have gotten ruder but I'm sure they think the same of "4-wheelers"
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Of course it’s a serious reply. This post is just another example of personal opinion. The original poster thinks that their method is correct and others see it differently. This forum should be a place to share news and ideas and ask for help. My personal opinion about this type of topic is that as soon as others don’t agree then the conversation gets heated because the non believers are presumed to be stupid. A good example is, my Ford truck is better than your Ram. No win for either side and a disservice to readers. It’s fine to have a personal opinion but try to remember why it’s called a personal opinion. And try to laugh.

Interesting, I am the OP on this thread, My question was never about whether it was right wrong or indifferent to let a passing vehicle know it was safe to move in front of me. In my mind that is a given and not up to interpretation.

My question revolved around the fact that my 2007 Winnebago Journey, high low beam switch is only that. If the headlights are on it will switch from high to low or low to high beam. There is no scenario where pulling on the turn signal flashed the headlights like they did in my Gasser coach.

I was curious if anyone had figured out how to make that work. Lastly I know that most trucks and some motor homes have a switch that momentarily cuts power to the marker lights, and wondered if anyone had figured out which wire to break to give you that capability.

Happy to clear that up for you.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Tim, my thoughts are that you could follow the wire at the headlights and taillights and add a 12 v source with diode protection like they do for TOADs, and a switch on the dash. Probably to much simple thinking on my part.

Yep, I don't need a thank you and I continue to flash and on those occasions where I get a flash to pull in I flash a thank you back.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights